Do you realize what you actually eat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
I realize many of you aren't Canadian but much of this does apply to other countries outside of Canada. I wrote this hope in the hopes that more people will care what they're doing to themselves.

It seems that more and more Canadians seem to have no clue the things that they are putting in their mouths. The things they feed their children, many of which are slowly ruining children's lives, some even leading to death. Or is it possible that Canadians know what they're doing but they just don't care anymore?

Well I for one care about my health, my friends health and the health of today's youth.

Unfortunately we live in a society where the policies and laws cater to the producer. To the companies that are using wonderful marketing techniques to sell Canadians what they what, telling them what they want to hear. Is it Canadians fault for buying into that or the companies fault that they don't have to specify things?

Let's talk "product of Canada" a person reads this line on a label and thinks oh wonderful I am supporting Canada. I am supporting local textiles, or local farmers, or whatever the support may be. Products from corn, to ice cream to clothing to electronics, toys and the list goes on. A product of Canada, well good it must be safe for me then as I know Canada's regulations aren't great but they're certainly better than places such as China, Vietnam or Indonesia. WRONG! For a product to be labelled "product of Canada" it merely needs 51% of COSTS to be done in Canada. That can include things such as shipping, packaging, labour, employee wages etc. For things such as fish the last "stop" in the product must be in Canada. So for fish to be labelled a product of Canada then it must have had something added to it in Canada, seasoning, sauce etc. So now you're thinking I just bought this product saying product of Canada yet everything but the shipping of the product was accomplished in three separate Asian countries prior to coming to Canada. So then how is it Canadian? Would Canadians no longer support these products (specifically food) if they knew that none, or very little of it was from Canada? The likely answer is yes they would stop buying these products because most Canadians care that it's from Canada, hence the brilliant marketing with "product of Canada".

This CBC Marketplace link has further information on the "product of Canada" marketing ploy.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/product_of_canada_eh/

Now let's talk MSG! Yes we all know MSG is bad, that it is killing Canadians and aiding in a nationwide obesity epidemic. The problem is that the majority of people do not know that it's in the food they're eating. MSG is hidden under a variety of names which much of the public don't know about.

67% of US citizens are either overweight or obese and Canadians are not far behind that number. Obesity means extreme amounts of money put into health care. Diabetes, heart disease etc are all very expensive things to treat. Should we all be supporting a hidden ingredient that is effectively eating taxpayers money? Scientists have known for decades that MSG causes obesity, there are hundreds of tests with animals proving this. When young or foetal rats were injected with MSG is was shown that as they matured they were unable to rid themselves of the excess weight that the MSG had given them. This is a problem that it now arising in youth where children are no longer able to rid themselves of their excessive weight. Should we really be putting things into our mouths that we know drain the health care system and cause problems?

Here are some useful links about MSG as well as an e-mail that was sent to me yesterday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/foodsafety/additives.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2002/10/24/MSGstudy_021024.html

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2002/02/25/..._bud020225.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

"The food additive MSG (Mono-Sodium Glutamate) is a slow Poison.

MSG hides behind 25 or more names, such as "Natural Flavoring."

MSG is even in your favorite coffee from Tim Horton's and other brand-name coffee shops!

I wondered if there could be an actual chemical causing the massive obesity epidemic, and so did a friend of mine, John Erb. He was a research assistant at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada, and spent years working for the government. He made an amazing discovery while going through scientific journals for a book he was writing called The Slow Poisoning of America.

In hundreds of studies around the world, scientists were creating obese mice and rats to use in diet or diabetes test studies. No strain of rat or mice is naturally obese, so scientists have to create them. They make these creatures morbidly obese by injecting them with MSG when they are first

born. The MSG triples the amount of insulin the pancreas creates, causing rats (and perhaps humans) to become obese.

When I heard this, I was shocked. I went into my kitchen and checked the cupboards and the refrigerator. MSG was in everything -- the Campbell 's soups, the Hostess Doritos, the Lays flavored potato chips, Top Ramen, Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper, Heinz canned gravy, Swanson frozen prepared meals, and Kraft salad dressings, especially the "healthy low-fat" ones.

The items that didn't have MSG marked on the product label had something called "Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein," which is just another name for Mono sodium Glutamate.

It was shocking to see just how many of the foods we feed our children everyday are filled with this stuff. MSG is hidden under many different names in order to fool those who read the ingredient list, so that they don't catch on. (Other names for MSG are "Accent, "Aginomoto," "Natural Meat Tenderizer," etc.)

But it didn't stop there. When our family went out to eat, we started asking at the restaurants what menu items contained MSG. Many employees, even

the managers, swore they didn't use MSG. But when we ask for the ingredient list, which they grudgingly provided, sure enough, MSG and Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein were everywhere.

Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, every restaurant -- even the sit-down eateries like TGIF, Chili's, Applebee's, and Denny's -- use MSG in abundance. Kentucky Fried Chicken seemed to be the WORST offender: MSG was in every chicken dish, salad dressing and gravy. No wonder I loved to eat that coating on the skin -- their secret spice was MSG!

So why is MSG in so many of the foods we eat? Is it a preservative, or a vitamin?

Not according to my friend John Erb. In his book The Slow Poisoning of America, he said that MSG is added to food for the addictive effect it has on the human body.

Even the propaganda website sponsored by the food manufacturers lobby group supporting MSG explains that the reason they add it to food is to make people eat more.

A study of the elderly showed that older people eat more of the foods that it is added to. The Glutamate Association lobbying group says eating more is a benefit to the elderly, but what does it do to the rest of us?

"Betcha can't eat [just] one," takes on a whole new meaning where MSG is concerned! And we wonder why the nation is overweight! The MSG manufacturers themselves admit that it addicts people to their products. It makes people choose their product over others, and makes people eat more of it than they would if MSG wasn't added.

Not only is MSG scientifically proven to cause obesity, it is an addictive substance. Since its introduction into the American food supply fifty years ago, MSG has been added in larger and larger doses to the pre-packaged meals, soups, snacks, and fast foods we are tempted to eat everyday.

The FDA has set no limits on how much of it can be added to food. They claim it's safe to eat in any amount. But how can they claim it's safe when there are hundreds of scientific studies with titles like these:

"The mono sodium glutamate (MSG) obese rat as a model for the study of exercise in obesity."

"Adrenalectomy abolishes the food-induced hypothalamic serotonin release in both normal and mono sodium glutamate-obese rats."

"Obesity induced by neonatal mono sodium glutamate treatment in spontaneously hypertensive rats: An animal model of multiple risk factors."

"Hypothalamic lesion induced by injection of mono sodium glutamate in suckling period and subsequent development of obesity."

No, the date of that last study was not a typo; it was published in 1978. Both the "medical research community" and "food manufacturers" have known about the side effects of MSG for decades.

Many more of the studies mentioned in John Erb's book link MSG to diabetes, migraines and headaches, autism, ADHD, and even Alzheimer's.

So what can we do to stop the food manufactures from dumping this fattening and addictive MSG into our food supply and causing the obesity epidemic we now see?

Several months ago, John Erb took his book and his concerns to one of the highest government health officials in Canada. While he was sitting in the government office, the official told him, "Sure, I know how bad MSG is. I wouldn't touch the stuff." But this top-level government official refuses to tell the public what he knows.

The big media doesn't want to tell the public either, fearing issues with their advertisers. It seems that the fallout on the fast food industry may hurt their profit margin. The food producers and restaurants have been addicting us to their products for years, and now we are paying the price for it. Our

children should not be cursed with obesity caused by an addictive food additive.

But what can I do about it? I'm just one voice! What can I do to stop the poisoning of our children, while our governments are insuring financial protection for the industry that is poisoning us?

This message is going out to everyone I know in an attempt to tell you the truth that the corporate-owned politicians and media won't tell you.

The best way you can help to save yourself and your children from this drug-induced epidemic is to forward this article to everyone. With any luck, it will circle the globe before politicians can pass the legislation protecting those who are poisoning us.

The food industry learned a lot from the tobacco industry. Imagine if big tobacco had a bill like this in place before someone blew the whistle on nicotine?

If you are one of the few who can still believe that MSG is good for us and you don't believe what John Erb has to say, see for yourself. Go to the National Library of Medicine at http://www.pubmed.com.

Type in the words "MSG Obese" and read a few of the 115 medical studies that appear.

We the public do not want to be rats in one giant experiment, and we do not approve of food that makes us into a nation of obese, lethargic, addicted sheep, feeding the food industry's bottom line while waiting for the heart transplant, the diabetic-induced amputation, blindness, or other obesity-induced, life-threatening disorders.

With your help we can put an end to this poison. Do your part in sending this message out by word of mouth, e-mail, or by distribution of this printout to your friends all over the world and stop this "Slow Poisoning of Mankind" by the packaged food industry. Blowing the whistle on MSG is our responsibility, so get the word out."

I think what it comes down to for both the "product of Canada" and MSG situations is to avoid packaged foods at all costs. Support local farms and try your best to cut MSG out of your life! I have suggested to Marketplace that they do an episode on MSG so hopefully something will come of that one day!

Not only should you think twice before you put food in your mouth, but think what you're feeding your children. Are you aiding in creating poor health for your child or are you going to try and make them as healthy as you can?

Sometimes I go to the Grocery Outlet store and foods that say from in Canada I always pick over food made in other places say China. I guess I may have to rethink my thinking
default_unsure.png
Oh and I live in the U.S.

Another helpful tip to this is to buy things from people you know that grow them or produce them.

We are lucky in that we know many fishermen of various species. We get them straight from their nets or pots to our cooler.

Same goes for beef and/or eggs. When possible, we buy organic (which I know also has a qualification added to it that has the same restrictions masquerading for a purpose of sale).

I think this goes right along with my other thread about where things are made, though the food we eat is obviously of paramount importance.

Stricter labelling laws ought to apply in light of the push to make a healthier population. I would think the government would be behind something like this.

Anyway, packaged foods are not good for you other than the time savings. I do try to limit our usage of these and cook from scratch from the ingredients that are safest for my family.

Over the past dozen years or so, I have become increasingly more aware of things such as what we consume. More so just recently. I hope that others will feel the need to follow suit since the sellers of these things don't have any interests in mind except their bottom line.

Another additive that is very prevalent that is also not good for you is corn syrup. It sounds natural, but it has a higher glycemic load on your body than an equivalent amount of sugar. My information was obtained from nutritiondata.com

Thank you for this!

Liz

One of the main problems I feel with all these "international foods" (when really you think they're Canadian) is that the places these foods are coming from (especially meats) do not have the same standards for regulations that we do. For example Canadian govts test for many things that are not tested in Asia. There are also various problems with fish health in Asia (specifically China, Vietnam and Indonesia) that our gov'ts are concerned about. Metal levels, fungi, lice etc yet this where our fish is coming from!

Marketplace showed a bit about fish (I believe it was salmon) that was caught in Russian waters. There are no health risks at the moment with Russian fish. However these fish were frozen, then shipped down to the Panama Canal up to China to be processed. They were then shipped back down through the Panama Canal up to either Boston, USA or Halifax, Canada depending on the processing plant they were going to. They would then be trucked to their destination. So that journey is a bare minimum of one month or more, so it's likely that before those fish are even in grocery stores they've already been dead for two months or more. I'm sure the packaging says something along the lines of "fresh salmon". Well yes two months is very fresh...not! I don't know about you but I like my foods to be as fresh as possible...not being shipped around the world for weeks on end, only to come back to Canada posing as Canadian fish.

Luckily where we are we are able to buy just about all of our food from local farms. However, with the things that we can't it's very frustrating knowing what you're really buying.

It's amazing how much crap is in most of the food in the store! It never used to bother me so much but thats changing.When at all possible I buy organic foods.Unfortunately it's so pricey!!! Also my family is very resistant to the healthier choices.Except for my daughter.She struggled with gall bladder problems and when we eliminated the garbage foods in favor of organic and fresh foods she did dramaticly better.And she lost a lot of weight. She ended up having to get the gall bladder out but the experience taught her to enjoy more wholesome foods.

When I look at the label on soups and such I'm absolutely disgusted by the amount of sodium in them! Nobody needs all that! And frankly they ruin the taste of the food by over salting. yucky

I totally buy into the theory of the additives causing weight gain.I understand there are other important factors involved in the obesity issue.But I really do think the excessive amount of additives in foods is radically increasing the obesity problem in the US.

That being said,I still eat a lot of junk.I crave some things like a crazed addict.Gee maybe my food addiction is not just emotionally based.
default_unsure.png

All these additives can cause behavior problems as well. My son age 3 was so uncontrollable he was on the verge of getting kicked out of preschool. I talked to his doctor concerning ADD or ADHD etc every Dr I spoke to told me to pull all the preservatives, all the additives out of his food. This is by no means an easy or cheap task. We never did eat many chips or cookies or cakes etc, we'd have them on average once a month. My son will eat Broccoli, and many other vegtables. I have taken on this task with a vengence. Costco has many organic and non preservative things. I used to do a lot of shoppnig at wal-mart, I don't anymore they have very few things that we eat anymore. My son is now listening, behaving, not trying to kill his sister who's 2. He will clean his room when I ask him to, there's no arguments etc. He's even told his teacher that he can't have cake as it makes him "crazy". He doesn't like to be that way either.

I totally agree with ya'll that say food is making us fat/sick etc. Since I've started this food change I've dropped a pant size in about a month. Thats a lot for me. before not exercise, not dieting nothing would take much off. You'd really be suprised at how they hide the crap in the foods and how many different names stuff is listed under.

Karen

We have been watching what we eat for a long time. Started a good 20 years ago when I was getting sick from eating some foods. You would not believe how much pestisides are on the average fruit and Veggies and it doesn't just stay on the skin.

A lot of stuff in foods are not safe and there is no reason to be in those foods.

I buy certified organic food and have way before it was easy to find. I am an avid label reader for not only my allergies but my son's.

What I find scary...is the Gov and big business is trying to take away our rights to grow our own food because they say.... everyday people can't grow safe food on their own. They have been going after organic seed growers that sell open polinated plants and seeds, Veggies and fruits our parents and grandparents grew when they were children.There is nothing unsafe with these foods. There is a movement within those people,,,for Gov and big ag business to try to do the same thing to people that grow their own Veggie and fruits...as they are trying to do with those who grow their own chicken, beef or what ever. NAIS....

And what is scary most people do not care as long as their is food in the grocery stores for them to eat...as most will never grow their own food. Doesn't matter where the food come froms as long as they get what they want. Or others that do not want to believe the Gov would do such a thing.

But the writting is on the Gov web sites.

I will contiune to grow my own food or buy from those that grow their food local and organic and I hope my son has the same choice. Because I sadly believe.... he might not have that option when he is our age. Other than growing or buying black market foods.

Control the food....control America. Control the food...control the people.

Was hoping Canada would keep better values than America has.

It is such a huge problem in not always knowing what we put into our mouths.....and then we wonder why we feel so crappy! Another rude awakening that has been exposed is how how many of our medicines are made in china and they are not checked out for safety to us!! :DOH! My doctor has such a fit that I hesitate in taking the medicines she prescribes but how can we feel safe when many of them come from China. We used to grow our own beef and always had a garden but with the kids all grown we don't anymore. I think the article you posted is very informative. Thanks, Mary

Thanks for the replies.

Shari-Something similar just happened here about a month or two ago with regards to the selling of meat. I will be honest and say I know very little about it but will tell what I know. Our govt. has brought in legislation of something to the effect that you can not sell meat unless you have a slaughter house/processing plant within a certain mile radius from your farm. Well for MANY (basically all the local farmers) this means nobody will be able to raise their own meat to sell locally or for themselves. There is a massive uproar with farmers as this legislation is squeezing out the little guy and once again the govt. is catering to the big business! It's SO frustrating!!!

A young family member of mine had a heart attack last Christmas and ever since then we've been label readers. Prior to that we did read labels but weren't too concerned about it...we never had/have junk food in the house and never had/have soda in the house. We've always tried to buy local as much as possible and luckily thats something we can do. However like I said since this last Christmas we've been really anal about sodium levels, sugar levels, all the other levels and those "secret ingredients"! What amuses me is many things will advertise as "LOW IN SALT" or "LOW IN SUGAR" however when they're low in salt they are normally loaded with sugar and vice versa! It's all so rediculous. We don't put salt into anything we cook (unless it specifically asks for it) and always get the things with the least amount of sugar and salt. However just this past week my body was clearly craving salt as for two days that's all I could think about. I am of the opinion that if you crave something just eat it...within reason. So because I was at work the only salty thing I could find nearby was salt and vinegar chips. I compared "MS VIKEYS" brand with "LAYS"...well the LAYS chips had DOUBLE the amount of salt and double the calories and double everything else bad!!! So I chose the Ms. Vikeys and just sucked on them! haha. No more salt cravings since.

Another problem I have with now is yoghurt. All the yoghurt we seem to have (I haven't checked them ALL out) are LOADED with sugar. It's normally the second or first ingredient. I am someone who is very sensitive to sugar and when I have too much (say a big piece of cake) I know that unless I take a gravol in the next two minutes that I will be vomiting. Luckily with cutting things out of my diet I don't have to live off of gravol. Anyway so yoghurt is now a no-no for me, which is getting a bit irritating. Although I just learned about a local dairy farm that makes milk, cheese etc the proper way so I might have a try. It's like when I was in England I ate dairy everyday because their cows live outside year round on pastures. Whereas here the cows are kept inside barns year road and fed hay etc. You can taste the difference and as a result I have very,very little dairy here. I only have milk on my cereal to make it soft!

Anyway I'm rambling now so I beter get going!

Good post! It's also really important to me to try to eat healthfully, although that can be very hard sometimes when you have a busy life and have to grab food on the go a lot. I don't really eat any packaged food or bottled drinks - as you say, it is just loaded with 'bad' stuff, and I feel really crappy when I eat processed, pre-prepared, packaged stuff. I don't shop at all in the middle aisles of the grocery stores - except to get basic ingredients like flour, dried pasta, etc.

Anyway, I thought that I would respond to your quote...

Another problem I have with now is yoghurt. All the yoghurt we seem to have (I haven't checked them ALL out) are LOADED with sugar.
I also eat yogurt quite a bit, and I just wanted to let you know that it is possible to get yogurt without sugar added, although sometimes it can be a little bit hard to find. You have to stay away from all of the flavored yogurts (Strawberry, Blueberry, etc.) and get Plain. Note that 'Vanilla' flavored is not Plain, it has sugar, and even some of the regular plain yogurts do have sugar added, so read the labels. Safeway has a plain, no sugar added yogurt, that comes in a bright green and white container (I think it's Lucerne but I could be wrong), and there are others as well, especially in the organic sections. I just add cut up fruit or berries to the plain yogurt and it tastes great!

Another thing that really bugs me is how hard it is to find cereal without added sugar - you would think that Cheerios, Corn Flakes, etc. would not have sugar in them, but they do!

Thanks for that! My mum and I were saying how we should just buy the plain organic yoghurt and add our own fruit. I'm pretty certain it works out cheaper. Our local shops cater to local and organic which is nice.

As far as cereals......ahh!!! I spent a good 30minutes in the "cereal aisle" trying to find a cereal that wasn't cr*p! Pardon my language. What I want in my cereal is high fibre, low to zero salt and low to zero sugar. I also look at the ingredients and other vits etc but those three are my main concern for cereal. You wouldn't think it'd be such a task! Unfortunately the common cereals advertising "high fibre" in reality have like .5% higher fibre than the other cereals so basically no fibre. Luckily I've found two cereals that fit the bill and they're so delicious. I don't remember the names but I'll look tonight or tomorrow and report back. Anyway I mix the two cereals (I've always mixed cereals haha) to make it more "exciting".

Latest posts

Back