Do you have to register your farm names??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHoofBeats

Reaction score
Do you have to register your farm/ranch names or can you just make one up and start using it all over the place?? If you have to register it, where do you do so??

You register it with the individual registries, if it's available. They will not register your horse with someone else's prefix/suffix.

If you're really serious you may want to trademark it.

smile.gif

If you want it to be yours alone you do need to register it.

It's always good to have at least three farm names you like.....perhaps variations of the same name.....written down. Then call each registry and ask them to check if any of them are already registered.

When we did it, (15+ years ago), we lucked out and I quickly registered our farm name:

MINIATURE VENTURES with the prefix "Mini V" right over the phone with a credit card!

I think it costs in the $50 range, but it's registered forever.

Also, if you are serious about using your farm name as a business or as a breeding "hobby" you should contact your state to register your name with them as well.

MA

Yes, you do. I thought you could use your own name -- we used Murray's Miniatures --with both AMHA & AMHR for a number of years-- then we went to the AMHR NAtionals & met Ruth Murray -- Murray's Mini Manor from New Yourk. She went home & rgistered Murray's as her prefix.with AMHR only. SO, we could not use for AMHR any more-- I didn't want my horses to have different names so we registered AJ Murray's Miniatures with both registries.

Amy, Miniv, and everyone who replied who have registered;

Does anyone know where I go to register or who I should call? I would like to register my farm name so I never run into problems in the future!!! Thank you for your help!

You need to call the AMHA office and the AMHR office with your farm name choices. Ask each office if your farm name has already been registered. I always recommend having more than one name choice just incase my first one is taken.

Once the registry tells you that your name is availabe to be registered with them, you can either pay them over the phone by credit card, or quickly mail a work order form showing you are registering your name and have the name written out for them. (We did our's over the phone.)

MA

Does anyone know how much it costs to register your farm name with the AMHA and the AMHR?

Christy

Last edited:
Christy,

I'm not sure about AMHR, but I think AMHA charges $50?

MA

I'm pretty sure AMHR is $20.
smile.gif
That's what is says on the work order. AMHA is $50 like MA said.

Latest posts

Back