Do you have a horse related new year's resolution?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a great question and you have me thinking!

It is cold and frozen now in our area so my pony activities are reduced to maintenance and one way conversations. ;) Good time for pondering. 🤔

Maddie (donkey) needs more trail walking and we have a small bridge to cross. Am waiting for a copy of Trickonometry to work with Maddie and minis.

I’d like to look into a different harness for DD. Mindy Schroder has shared lots of good information on harnesses and bits which has been very helpful in sorting through options.

How about you? I do love your new year - new horse..😂

I do! :)

I want to get Sodapop to the point where she listens on grass as well as she does off grass. She has made progress, but I need to get her to understand there's a time to eat vs a time to listen. I wish we had a spot without grass to do liberty training other than indoors, but we're just going to have to get past that 'I see grass i eat grass' mindset she has. 🤣

I'd also like to get her to the point of picking up objects I drop. She already knows I want her to do SOMETHING with them, but she's not a mouthy horse by nature, so she hasn't quite figured out that I want her to pick them up lol.

For my end of the deal, I want to get to the point where I can safely jog down the road so she can get her zoomies out! We got a new standing walker, we just are waiting on ATTUALLY getting it lol... So hopefully that will help. If not, then wheelchair time LOL. We are up to walking about 2 miles almost every day over the span of 2-3 hours with loads of breaks, which may not sound very impressive, but for someone who couldn't even walk down the road when I first got her it is! 😁

You both have more energy than me! I don't think I could do 2 miles at all at this point in my life. I have seen them use a muzzle that they couldn't graze in for training horses that needed to have some freedom but not get distracted by eating. I don't really have any goals right now, I'm trying to resist the urge to clip the new pony in the dead of winter, and I have to figure out what I'm doing with him for sure. I'm pretty sure he is going to be looking for a new home.

I want to continue to monitor Midnight's weight and give her as much exercise as I can, so if she is IR, we can keep her healthy, active, and happy. This includes working on her ground exercises and teaching her new tricks.
I want to take my best care of Dapper Dan as he goes into his 26th year. So far he is a feisty, bossy boy and I'd like to keep him that way.
I think I want a donkey in my future, but I'm not ready to make a resolution about that! We'll see what comes our way.
Looking forward to another year enjoying this group, and being challenged to drive and hike more with my horses!

Hubby & I usually don’t do New Years Resolutions, but what we do is a “Goal Sheet”. We discuss the thing we want to do in the upcoming year and write it down. It gives us goals to work towards and it is fun when we get to cross things off our list. We only put reachable goals on the sheet, so we are successful in completing those goals. We have sections on finances, things to do to the house/yard, trips we want to take, horses, cars, & planes Oh MY! 😂

My goals for the horses this year are:
*finish up my van: get it wrapped, add a hie tie, add A/C & heat so I can camp in it
*Take Stormy on short overnight trips so we can work our way up to longer overnight trips
*Take Stormy to Palo Duro Canyon!! This is my biggest one for the year and the one I’m most excited about!! I have been planning it out lately and it will be a 5 day trip!… by myself!!…. well, me & Stormy 😍
*Teach Thunder how to drive a cart over the summer
*Teach Breezy how to drive a cart in the fall, if he is ready…he is a wild child right now LOL LOL
*Take Stormy to some horse shows (just for fun, absolutely no pressure) and hope to WIN a participation ribbon!! LOL LOL 💕💕

Latest posts

Back