Do you have a horse at a trainers??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
You are involved. Been reading a lot on the forum the past few weeks, by far more reading than I have done before.

How much credit is yours? How much the trainers? Do you think you could place the way the trainer does? If so, why is your horse at a trainer?

Do you show horses too that are not with a trainer? Has that horse ever been at a trainer though?

Having a horse at a trainers that does very well, does that make you more qualified as to what it takes to be a champion, or what a champion is? Or did you just pick the right trainer?

Just curious as to how it all comes across to you.

What I would honestly like to know is exactly what goes on daily, at a trainers? I have heard horror stories about how some trainers work the horses like dogs every day until they're just so tired they just do what they're commanded...which I suppose it works but then they lost that spirit that judges look for! I personally was thinking of looking up an omish trainer, they let their kids work with the horse and everything.

Anyone have opinions on omish vs. standard trainers? (did I say that right?)

And does anyone know of any omish trainers in WI or nearby??

[SIZE=14pt]I have a trainer that I use to start my horses for me. I have shown some that havent been there in two years or more and can place where Bruce does. I even beat him once for a gelding Grand with Teddy when he was showing his own gelding! He makes sure that I can handle them....thats why they go there to boot camp. I have sent them in the ring with him after they have come home if I feel he can do a better job that day. Sometimes my daugter shows them. He has Sweet Tart there now and also Carbon Copy who is learning to drive. He makes sure they are safe for me. Yes I do think that most of the time they place better for him than for me....that is just the reality of showing. The good thing about Bruce is that he trains the horses so that I can show them. There have been other trainers that have had my horse that only they could show .....that misses the whole point of having them. As far as conditioning them myself, I use the same feeding and exercise program he does and I feed and condition all year and not just before shows start.My horses eat the same way all year and they get round penned every other day for the 3 and older croud for 15 minutes. The babies just get turned out to play.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I dont think I would ever send my horses to a trainer unless they have an attitude problem that I cannot fix. Reason being: I wouldn't feel that I deserve it, because it isn't my work gone into it. Plus, I would rather be in the ring showing, then waiting for the phone call or watching from the stands.

Just my input

I feed and condition all year and not just before shows start
Have got to admit I know of no one who conditions year around. Know many big BIG trainers whose horses are just horses during the winter months. Examples, Connie, Brenda Plass and Erica has said on a number of threads that during winter months her horses are not worked.

Curious as to why you think they need conditioned al year. For mental reasons, I would think they need to just be horses for a pretty good length of time period.

Most of the AMISH that do training up our way (northeast Wisconsin) prefer to train drafts or buggy horses. I do know of some in the Shawano area that train, you can email me and I will let you know about them. I trained saddlebreds for years, and I would have no reason to send one out, but then again..I dont show my minis, any work that needs to be done with them I prefer to do myself. I have been helping with quit a few 4-H's work with there horses, this is the first time most of them are showing in the small 4-H shows and they are quit excited about it. I was also quit happy to FINALLY see some minis being shown by the young kids. Corinne

MiniLocoSinclair said:
Anyone have opinions on omish vs. standard trainers? (did I say that right?)
And does anyone know of any omish trainers in WI or nearby??

438947[/snapback]

If you are considering an Amish trainer, please check out the other horses he is training carefully and talk to other people who have had horses trained by him. In this area and in PA where I grew up, the Amish do not have a good reputation for treating their horses well. If you want to talk about a horse being pushed to its limits, look at the often thin carriage horses that run miles every day on hard top roads.

I'm sure there are some very good Amish trainers out there - for the sake of your horse check out any trainer carefully before you send your horse there.

LOADED Question..

Not sure if this is what you're asking but,

It seems to me that some trainers Always

do better, no matter what.. seems that way sometimes.

Having a trainer show my horse sure gives him a

better shot at placing than if I am showing him!!!
smile.gif
)

As far as sending a horse to a trainer, I think

there are lots of reasons for that, from not having the

time, not having the experience and/or know-how,

lots of reasons.

I have accompanied a trainer to several shows this year, and

what I saw right away: She is the HARDEST working person EVER!!!

I thought I would show my horse this year myself..

I also work full time... IT IS A LOT OF WORK - IMO

to get a horse ready to show!!!!!!!!!!!

For me, the actual traveling and rushing

around , being away from home is what I dislike.

I like the conditioning and grooming and day to day stuff.
smile.gif
)

Next year, I may try something else...

But, I must say, when ya place well, it sure seems worth it!!!!

Sandy

[SIZE=14pt]The point I was trying to make is that you cant get a show horse ready to show in just a couple of weeks before.When I talk about conditioning I am mainly talking about feeding. My exercise program for conditioning consists of for anyone 3 and under putting them out with a buddy to run in the field for 2 hours. for the 3 year olds it is the same if they have a suitable buddy or round pen 10 minutes weather permitting twice a week. That is the extent of my "Conditioning" diet doesnt change year round and we still practice setting up whenever we take a horse out of a stall. Only once or twice not a lesson per se. Thats what I mean by conditioning. My horses get to be just horses too.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Straying from the original questions a bit to touch on other points brought up in later posts... Personally, I think that light conditioning for show horses in the off season is very benefitial for them physically. Of course, I also think the horses need time throughout the year to be what they are for the sake of their mental health. It's been my experience that most serious trainers feel the same way. While some horses may benefit from a rigorous training regimen, most I have worked with require only short, frequent lessons. Over-working most horses will lead you to a horse who hates it's work, not a robot. For the most part, happy, well reheared and conditioned horses will win.

No I've never used a trainer, not ever. If I cannot show my own horses they won't be shown- I could not afford it anyway!!! I've just turned my show team out for two weeks- I may or may not bring them back up for a couple more shows. If I don't they will stay out now all winter- another advantage of not clipping
smile.gif

I think there are reasons for both. I think that well i know that yes I would have no problem sending a stallion out to a trainer to truly promote them and do them justice. Of course they do better with a good handler then with me does that make them less of a horse?

I pick out all my horses myself so does that make my eye any less good just cause i dont show them myself? I dont think so.

I show my horses (well ok raven does most of the showing but i do a couple of classes at each show.) We both condition them and we do that a bit thru the winter as well. However all my horses including show horses are turned out 8-10 hours daily with the rest of the herd (minus colts/stallions who are in a adjacent pen)

But yes here the industry is very competitive and if I had a stallion I truly believed in (and of course if he was my herd sire I would) then I would want him promoted and would want to have him shown to his best and I am not a professional handler and not capable of doing as good of a job as the good trainers.

Ginia of Post Rock Farm has a buckskin gelding named "Smokey" that was trained by the Amish.

I've had the GREAT pleasure of driving him down the road, (after an hour she had to come looking for me with the truck or I'd still be heading down the road with him).

He was whisper command, feather touch and VERY out going. If I had to send a horse out to a trainer I would most definitely send them to the gentleman who trained him.

Anyone willing to talk about costs?

I personally wouldn't/couldn't send my horses to a trainer BUT I would like to pay someone to teach me!! My horses are pets and I wouldn't want them leaving for long periods of time.

However, if I was really into showing I am sure I would feel differently. I bred a dog who was outstanding, I was going to keep her but finally decided to sell her to my friend who is a well known breeder/shower, the dog is doing brilliantly with her. We all knew she could do it BUT I also knew I did not have the time or the experience to do it! It is very competitive out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[SIZE=14pt]Bruce Abbott carges 250 a month for halter training an extra 20 dollars or so for special supliments and 350 a month for driving training. His list of services and fees are on his web site www.dcffarm.com[/SIZE]

Lyn

I've had a couple of horses at Dana's (Dreamweaver Farm) and we have always been happy with the outcome of our horses. I recommend her to anybody!

Right now I have a horse with her getting ready for Nationals. Sure I can condition her but I feel she can get the best out of my horse. She charges $225 a month for just halter.

http://www.dreamweaverminis.com/training.html

Frankie - I am glad that you brought up this subject.

Our family has shown big horses for over 20 years and have owned miniatures for 8 years. However, this is our first year for showing the miniatures. The miniature shows are very different from other breeds, and I am using a trainer this year. I cannot say enough good things about John Eberth at Arion Management. My husband and I have had such a great time this summer. It has been a very, very positive experience.

I would never be able to get my horses looking as nice as John, and there is no way that I could get them to set up as well as he does in the ring. He has so much talent with horses - a natural gift. In fact, I was a little jealous of the way my stallion preferred John over me
rolleyes.gif
....... John's love for horses is obvious, and it is obvious that the horses also respect and love him in return by the way they respond to his commands and voice. He is so calm and confident with them. I feel very lucky to have this experience this year. John is very quiet, but he also is very willing to share his knowledge and help us learn the ropes of the training, feeding, and showing of the miniatures. Melinda is a joy to work with also, and she makes sure all paperwork is in order and keeps me posted through emails and phone calls about the horses. Showing horses is a lot of work. They work their buns off and are worth their weight in gold. Luckily, Robin and Marianne were the ones that encouraged John to show my horses, and I am so thankful for their kindness and support. I have had some terrible experiences with horse trainers with our large horses, and I thank my lucky stars that I have a good, honest trainer for my little ones.

Maybe one day I will show, but it is nice not to participate in the shows, and....... just relax, observe, and learn. We have met some really nice people this year. Everyone has been so nice to us at the shows. Both AMHA and AMHR shows have been super.

There have been a few comments made by someone that made me feel like I am less than qualified as a "horse person" because I am not doing the showing myself. I believe I am doing the smart thing, and this is the best choice for me at this time in my life. I have been very satisfied being an observer, rather than a participant.

I am proud of my horses no matter how they do in the ring. We are having a good time at the shows. Winning once in a while is nice, but fun and experience is our goal this year. My husband and I are the newbies who want to meet some great people, watch some great horses at the shows, and learn as much as we can about these fantastic little animals. It is wonderful to be around others who share the same passion and love for miniature horses.

Pam

I think I have one I need to take to the trainers for manners!!!!!

Fran

Havent sent one yet, might someday. I was a trainer, racehorses, so I have a hard time sending out a mini. Butttt, if I had one I thought could go I would send it with Ed and Val now thats in the A. In the R, I have had Josh show for me at Nationals but I had clipped, conditioned and all the above myself. Its what I like to do so I would have a hard time sending one off. Plus you got to figure its going to cost approx 12 grand to campagin that horse, but thats going to all the A shows and lots of them. I imagine close to that in the R if you are going to the same amount of shows. Also remember you get what you pay for.

I have 2 horses with Lyn Yung- one (Catch Me) is in full training, the other is just being boarded since she's so immature (anyone looking for a weedy, deer-like Thunderhawk daughter with a wowsa trot? LOL)

I've never had a horse with a trainer before- I have always done everything myself, so it was a real adjustment for me learning to let go of control and to sit back, shut up and absorb. A different experience, with different challenges, but *very* positive. I still need to learn to shut up though.....
biggrin.gif

As to why Catch Me went there: because Catch Me needed more skill & experience then I have. I wasn't equal to the task and I knew enough to know not to try.

As to how involved I am- I'm up there 1-2 times a week. I'd go more but I can't get away from work.

As to my contribution- I write the checks, I'm patient and let Lyn and the ponies take the time they need, I love my ponies, and I try to be a good student and absorb as much learning as I can. I did train Catch Me for Liberty, but that was mostly to see if it could be done at all.

Other horses- yes, last year I showed Baubles AOTE and also had Tom Terrific. They're still down with Tony as I live up in Dallas now.

As to am I satisfied? - Absolutly. I feel I have gotten more then my money's worth and that my goals are being accomplished- goals that I am 100% SURE I could not have accomplished without Lyn's help.

I don't think I'm more or less of a horsewoman because I can't say "and I did it all myself!" in 2005 the way I did in 2004, and I don't think any success is more or less deserved. Like I said, it's a different set of challenges- in my mind, I look at it as an oppurtunity to learn A LOT and refine my skills further, so I better not squander it and better get the MOST I can from the experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back