Do you give rabies vaccs to your minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually in recent tests they found that a horse only needed about 4 rabies shots in their lifetime, the problem is, which four ?

Rabies is an extremely effective vaccine. IMO if we continue to give it to horses every year, we will do the same thing to horses we did to dogs.

Once every three years is enough for mine.
I am not aware that any such tests have been accepted as valid. Annual vaccination is still recommended by the American Association of Equine Practitioners. They are the organization that sets the standard for Equine veterinary medicine and when the tests support vaccinating every 3 years they will change the protocol.

Hope your little one gets to feeling better real soon. I think I would take him to the vet just to make sure that it's not something else.

My horses get the rabies shots yearly. This year alone we've had confirmed rabies in 13 animals within 5 miles of us. 7 skunks and 6 coyotes. I'll never take the chance with my guys. Yes they have had reactions in the past, usually just a sore neck for a few days.

Until it is proven and the study published that we only need to give the horses shots every 3 years. My horses will get the shots yearly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I'd give a little update that he was perfectly normal as of last night, playing with his buddy (initiating it!) and moving normally again. Think I will be pretty nervous about vaccinations from now on!

Angie

One thing that really helped me THANKS GINIA is a smaller gauge needle. Dusty had a really bad reaction the first time I gave him his shots (in the neck) but once I got smaller gauged needles I haven't had a problem since.

One thing that really helped me THANKS GINIA is a smaller gauge needle. Dusty had a really bad reaction the first time I gave him his shots (in the neck) but once I got smaller gauged needles I haven't had a problem since.
Can you tell us what size needles you use? My vet left me with 20 gauge and it seemed very hard to get them in.

I do give rabies and feel if you're doing shots in my geographic area, it's a must give. I've had horses sore later, and as others said, give them banamine. Also, I do feel it's best to give it in the rump, but I don't always follow my own advice in that respect.

I give all my miniatures rabie shots and have never had a problem ..My vet gives it in the thick part of the rear leg just down from the rump..Irene

Windwalker Miniatures

www.freewebs.com/kolorspots

My question....I'm beginning to still think this is a reaction, not an injury, I did as the vet suggested, and have an appt tomorrow afternoon if he is not improving by then. Any eye discharge from anyone who've seen reactions to vaccinations?

And, my vet thought it was an injury based on the fact that he can put his head down to eat. (he was injected in the neck). Those who also injected in the neck and had reactions, were your horses still able to graze?

No eye discharge from my little guy. He will normally have a heck of a time grazing, so I try to lift up the hay in front of him as best I can...so it's pretty much level with his shoulders and he can eat his hay that way until he's felt better. Kind of like him eating at a dinner table. But the last couple of years we've been attuned to this now and right after he gets his yearlies, he gets a dose of Banamine and treated for 2 days after. This year his stiffness was hardly noticable...if at all.... I think I may have been looking for signs...but since I know what to expect, I may have seen things other people could not.

YES, we vaccinate for Rabies..

As for pain meds..

I have given Bute to Miniatures, small doses and for very short periods.. especially when I had nothing else available.. However, I do prefer Banamine..

I prefer to give Rabies vaccaintions in the hindquarters, however with some Miniature Horses, at least the ones I own do not allow it without twitching, etc.. the neck does work for me also..

I have not had ANY reactions.. big or small horses to the Rabies..

I did almost lose a filly to the West Nile vaccaintions..

Epinephrine.. times three doses and a vet out twice, she was okay.

Seems the shots my horses get sore on are the ones that include the Rhino. I have never had a sore horse following rabies. Just had rabies done yesterday, too, and no sore horses. But, give them a Rhino shot and ....ouch! for a few days.

Peggy

I can tell you from PERSONAL experience that rabies shots are NOT pleasant shots. I was exposed to a Rabid horse and had to go through the post exposure shots. I can tell you that many people from the barn had to do the same and many had the same reactions.

First it makes your joints ache very badly, which was complained about by almost everyone who had it (which i suspect indicates it's probably doing some form of damage). This is probably a similar reaction that your little guy is having. His joints ache so he's not moving well.

Low grade fever

Many people had some sort of allergic reaction to it. My arm had a grapefruit sized black ball at the site of the shot and I had to be heavily premedicated with antihistimines to continue the series (which they didn't feel i should stop taking because of the reactions because it's such a deadly disease).

It is a "nessasary" evil around here but I also feel that it's probably administered far too often. In both Humans and dogs the shot will last many years (i've had titers of years and still show acceptable amounts of immunity) .

I would love to see more studies done on various animals and find out how long this shot lasts in them. I bet it would surprise you how long the horse is covered for.

Latest posts

Back