Do you geld during fly season?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeeOkie

Reaction score
I have one that I need gelded, but am a little hesitant. What problems could I encounter, espoecially with the flies?

Rita

Nope, never. In my opinion nothing needs to be gelded that bad.

I have one who needs to be gelded also but and hes 9months old nope i will not geld till its cold enough to keep flys down.

Wait for cooler weather. The flies would make him miserable, maybe cause infection, etc. Hot weather would definitely make him bleed more, and make it take much longer to heal.

yup, what every one else said. My colt is actually getting gelded June 20th though, its a surgery. We don't have a fly problem here so hopefully he'll be fine.

Thanks, everyone. That was certainly my feeling about it. I have always done my gelding procedures in the spring/fall, but this one wasn't ready in March when I was doing it.

May miss a sale, but oh well, the horse is the most important thing!

Rita

I did have one gelded the middle of July and had no problem. That said it would have been a MUCH bigger problem not to have him gelded. [Wanted to drop him off at the vets on the way home from a show he got that rank OVERNIGHT.] This was a full size 16 plus hand appy that all of a sudden had stupid hormonal kick in and mentally couldn't handle it. I had little kids at the time and they were a heck of a lot more important than his nuggets. Linda

Rita, I have had several horses, even mature ones (4, 5, & 12 yrs old) gelded in summer. It may not be the ideal time, but I had bought them as stallions with the intent that they be geldings, so I didn't want to wait and deal with a stallion for the rest of the summer. The vet didn't seem concerned about the timing, and we didn't have any complications.

Where I am in SW OK, the fly problem really isn't that bad. I know in other parts of the country that the flies are horrendous, so I don't know if it would work to geld during fly season in those areas, but the flies reallly weren't a problem for me.

I won't say never as we never have and do not plan to, but circumstances may dicate a need some day! The heat isnt' as much a problem as the flies as the hosing will help keep him cooled down. But the flies, they're just an added nuisance and I'm unwilling to risk infection over something that can be done by waiting a few months.

As for losing a sale - I personally would risk that. The horses come first. If someone doesn't have the patiences to wait until a horse is gelded, but wants them gelded ASAP, they can take them and deal with the fly control and infection prevention - if they can get the vet to geld that is! I won't and explain to them why. Some people will wait others not.

Well guess I will have to be different !!!! I just had to done this week .. Did the same last year , right after weaning.. I have been doing this for years and not had any problems !! knocking on wood
default_rolleyes.gif

Knock on some wood , No problem.. They were running bucking and playing today... I don't think they even knew it happened..
default_new_shocked.gif

If you just use common sense , keep the area clean spray it with Furison or something that dries and heals maybe a fan to keep Flys away , you should be good to go..

I asked my vet this very Q today.

He said, here in Maine, if the stallion were on pasture it would probably be ok.

However, I have mine on drylots and he said it wouldn't be a good idea.

He definately recommended waiting for the cooler weather.

Should be a fun Summer......... :DOH!

I gelded the 2 of mine last august without a problem. I kept their back legs washed with cool water and exercised them. The heat makes them swell. So you have to exercise them a bit more. There is also a paste called flyX (I think) that I put on the inside of their back legs. Kept the flies away and my guys were just fine in a matter of days.
default_smile.png
(And both of mine were on dry lots).

I usually don't geld in summer or anything like that... But I made a exception to my own rule yesterday. I had my shetland gelded yesterday and we haven't had any issues so far. It's been pretty chilly though so that helps alot. But little Mr. Andy I think would have been a very unhappy horse if we waited til it got really cold.... He is all clotted up nicely and everything and there's no more blood just the usual draining that you are supposed to have... He is on bute and antibiotics too though....Oh yeah lots of fly spray, clean cool water and lots of light exercising. I don't think you will have any issues if you use common sense like Belinda said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the best time to do it, but it depends on the situation. I had a 2 year old done a week ago, and he's been absolutely fine. We've had a lot of wind lately which helps with the flies....he is out most of the time and in motion too. I've kept him fly sprayed to the max as well. I'd sure avoid July/August if possible down here.

Jan

Latest posts

Back