Do you feed hay in trailer while traveling?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannigirl

Reaction score
When we haul our horses for up to 8 hrs or so, we do not give them anything to eat during the ride. We really haven't gone any farther up to now. They always get a small amount of grain before we get on the road and they have hay and water all night. When we get where we are going, the first thing we do is put hay and water with each horse. We do tie them when we haul and they are usually pretty close to each other as we have a smaller trailer. I am always afraid they will start fighting over that special piece of hay like they do at home. Without hay, they usually travel fairly quietly. But then, my horses are all pretty much used to the routine as well.

I had a big mare that wouldn't eat in the trailer - she was the only horse i'd ever seen look out the window like a dog! However, she was a been there done that show horse that we would trailer 3 - 4 times per week for riding lessons. Best horse I've ever traveled with. Loading her consisted of opening the door and pointing, she'd hop on into a straight load with a ramp all on her own! Settled in even in new places right away, would stand tied (or untied, we forgot to tie her a lot which i've discovered looking at old show pics.... whoops.) for hours on the side of the trailer unsupervised. She was a w*tch and a half in the arena (a speed jumper we tried to make a pleasure horse, then gave up and made her a speed jumper again which she very much excelled at!), but a dream to trailer and travel with. My 10 yr old cousin loads her up by herself now!

My mini stud, I ALWAYS put hay in the trailer for. He's a "have food, a nuclear bomb could explode and i wouldn't care" kind of horse. However, I can count on one hand the number of trailer rides he's gone on. All have been by himself but one, and that was with a big horse on the other side (Solid partition - dont worry!) that he'd never met and was also a bit of a trailer greenie. They both had their own hay bags put on the opposite sides of the trailer to give them something to focus on other than each other. For him, its like a toddler having cheerios in a car - something to munch on to keep him quiet. I would imagine he will be "weaned" off the hay as he gets more life experience.

I would agree fully with you in your trailering situation not to give hay though!

I put a hay bag in there and I don't think she really eats that much, granted the drive is only an hour or less. Maybe she is just focused on trying to stay balanced.

We do feed them hay while trailering, out of mini hay bags with a mesh hole cut in the canvas.

I feed hay on trips. I think it's comfort food and it helps keep them from stressing. The bulk keeps their bowels moving, and a steady stream of roughage also prevents ulcers. When horses are high adrenaline they produce more stomach acid. Stomach acid and an empty gut don't mix. I probably wouldn't grain the day of transport. Horses require a lot more water when they eat grain vs hay. Also, know this isn't transport to show, I'm sure you wouldn't want them to bulk up on hay before a show
default_smile.png

I do feed hay on the trailer unless it is just the 20 minute trip into town. Anything longer than that they always have hay. I wouldn't think of hauling 6-8 hours without hay in front of them.

Yes, I always offer it. Sometimes they are too distracted to eat but it is there if they want it. I use a small holed hay net and no, I have NEVER had any problems with them getting caught in it as it is up by their eye line! Even when I get boisterous colts rearing and pawing, still no problems

Hauling to Nationals took us two days. They were fed breakfast and dinner just like at home. We did keep water in front of them at all times, but not food. They did fine.

Back