Do you ever let a horse leave w/out full pymt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will allow horsess to go without being fully paid for if it's someone I know and trust or is local - I've only had one person that, well we have an ongoing issue with!

I would be concerned about sending a horse cross country needing payments made as that's a bit hard to enforce on a contract or reposses!

That said a good contract helps! I just had a lady out (already a client) that came to buy another mare, but ended up leaving with two. I know her, where she lives, etc. The contracts were not even signed before she left, but she has emailed me that they're in the mail today.

On foals though, no board until 30 days after weaning, if that! It's more of a motivation for people to take their horse than to leave it for months on end!

I personally don't like to make payments, but have been allowed to an appreciated the opportunity at the time.

I have not had a lot of luck with horses purchased on lease/purchase agreement. Horse was to be paid in full within a year. No payments were ever received & horses have been returned before the year is up. Sometimes people change their mind before the time limit is up & want different horses or whatever. We have just ended a lease/puchase agreement on 3 horses & they have been returned. Said they had to wait until they had money in hand to make purchases in the future. But I did see that they seem to be getting new ones from somewhere else. The other time, they wanted to keep the mare after the time frame without paying for her, because they had bred her. She was not due until 4 or 5 months after the year was up. They didn't understand that they either had to pay for her after the year or return her. I guess I am too lenient with payments & will definitely change the way I have been doing it if I accept payments on any other horses. It has definitely been a learning experience for me.

I ask for - and follow up on - references if the buyer is not close enough that I can go and pick up the horse if necessary. Most people who ask for payment plans have purchased other horses that way and are happy to provide references.

I've been very fortunate to have people who took a chance and let me make payments - horses and ponies that I could not have otherwise purchased.

Last edited by a moderator:
Payments are fine, but our policy is horse does not leave the farm until paid for. Too many things can happen beyond anyone's control. If the horse is shipped, then you could have the added expense and headache of trying to get the horse back if something interupts payment, or buyer just changes mind. We've made an exception to the rule once, and lets just say we were lucky to get the mare back. Best to stick to a set policy. That being said, we recently had a down payment on a mare and foal; then the buyer's had some unexpected medical expense due to an accident and decided they could not afford a horse at this time. They were genuinely sorry, and did not ask for their downpayment back. Once the down payment check has cleared, we plan to return the money. Had the horse already left, then the buyer may not have been able to pay for shipping back, and we would have had the added headache of trying to get the mare and colt back. This way, no one is out anything, the buyer truly got into a bind, and we will return their money. No one has any hard feelings.

Latest posts

Back