Do you / can you drive mini donkeys?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdomep

Reaction score
Just curious if it is done often. I'd like to know more about it if anyone here does it
wink.gif
Thanks

Oh Yes! Definitely!!!
yes.gif

My jack was trained to drive before we started breeding him. That way there was less to distract him and it gave him something else to do.
whistling.gif

We drive him in parades, on the ditchbank. I've shown him and done well. Our first ditchbank drive, my friends were going to drive their miniature horses. Their concern was how they could keep their horses slow enough for Kilroy to keep up. We were a good 20-30 yards ahead the whole drive. They couldn't keep up with him. He LOVES to go, just doesn't like backing up......
unsure.gif

This is Kilroy and a friend discussing the backup issue. Needless to say, Kilroy won the argument.

Kilroy3.jpg

This is him at a fun show doing the barrels. We won!

kilroybarrels.jpg

How would I get started? is there a web page or a book on the basics?

Thanks Pri is only 6 months but I would love to drive her.

I had a professional train my boy. Well, at least he said he was a professional. He did a good job though. Except for the backing issue.
upset.gif

I believe you can start them just like a horse. Work with them to teach them their gates and commands. Then you can start ground driving. I know its a progression. Good Luck!

Oh yeah, you have to be much more patient with the donkeys. Remember they are thinkers. They want to make sure it is safe before they will do it.

Minimule those are cute pictures.

OK, on the RDF TV, if you get it... Is a Donkey Mule lady that does a Training Video. She is really good.

The web site loads slow,, well at least at my 24K hook up that is.

http://www.luckythreeranch.com

Shawna, that little Kilroy is so darn cute!!! The tv program on RFD, is put on by Meredith Hodges, she has developed the "logical approach" to longears. She is the best when it comes to training, she is a ADMS judge rep, animal inspecter, and her speciality is in dressage and combined training. She has quit a few book out, and RFD does air her quit often. Rfd is on channel 9409 (dish) . We have one that drives but he is a full size. Corinne

RFD is 379 on Directv. I've seen her a couple of times recently but one was just showing one of her mules getting a message. Pretty cool. I need to see if she can give me some hints on getting Kilroy to back up.

Thanks for the compliments on Kilroy. He's my boy. Such a sweetie and passes it to his offspring.

Latest posts

Back