Do you breed on foal heat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic Marker Minis

Reaction score
I've googled and read several articles about the pros and cons of breeding on foal heat... Everything, however, is based on big horses...

What is your opinion?

Thanks,

Kari & Toni

Personally, no. There are practical reason for foal heat in the wild (cleansing, preventing late year foals, preparing the body for subsequent cycles). I personally have waited one month the one time I bred my mare 2 years in a row. Who's to know most wild mares settle on foal heat? Having given birth twice myself... I'll give her a month at least. There are other factors to consider, such as age, delivery complications, recovery. Wild horses have a savage existence, but we are stewards of our mares. I wouldn't personally breed a mare on foal heat but I'm sure many do fine.

We occasionally did in years past with mixed results. We prefer pasture breeding. Now we let the mare and foal have their own time. I also agree with Tab...that the mare needs the foal heat for cleansing.

No, not here; we wait til the next one so the foal will arrive (supposed to anyway!) about the same time the next year. That of course is assuming we want to breed anyone for the next year, which for now, we do not. We think we are done breeding.

No I don't.

IMO, that is the heat for the mare to have a chance to get back into shape and cleanse after foaling. I guess they are "women" to me and I figure if a woman wouldn't feel like getting pregnant within two weeks of giving birth, not my mares either LOL!

We pasture breed here. I have never had any mare interested in allowing the stud near her for that first heat. Nature takes it's course on Nixons Hill.

The mare actually starts preparing the unused horn prior to foaling in preparation for the embryo that may show up if bred on a foal heat.

I think the foal heat is the easiest to time and most consistent cycle. I only choose not to if 1)it will produce too early of a foal 2) if I think conditions surrounding foaling make it very likely to be infertile 3) if the semen is very expensive or in limited supply.

I resist the premise that mares need time off. In my experience that decision has lead to more, rather than less infertility issues.

Dr. Taylor

We do breed on foal heat in most instances. We would not if it would make next years colt earlier than we like.

Jacki

We breed on foal heat if we want to move the mares up a month for due date, we dont if it would make too early of foals. Also if a mare had a rough delivery and might need flushed we use the foal heat to infuse the mares and then breed on the 30 day heat.

I have done it both ways -- usually looking at the timing of when the upcoming birth will be, and the condition of the mare. If foaling has taken the mare down, I'll wait to see that she is able to quickly return to condition before putting her back into foal. If she's in good condition, and the timing for the next foal will not bring it too early, I've bred quite successfully on the foal heat. And I pasture breed here, and the little hussies take just fine on their foal heat, and my stallions have been fantastic with the little foals while momma is in for breeding.

That said, I usually don't do it a third year in a row -- instead giving her time off after the second foaling.

Last edited:
We very rarely re-breed on the foaling heat - a foaling heat is often only 5 - 6 days after the birth and we feel this is too soon, quite apart frm the fact that the new baby will be born approx a month earlier the following year. In fact we rarely breed our mares each year, often allowing them several years between foalings and have never had a problem getting one in foal when we do choose to breed.

Reactions: REO
Thank you to everyone for your input... We're going to wait until the second heat and not breed at foal heat. I agree that just a few days after foaling isn't a good idea for the various reasons stated, i.e. giving the mares a rest, allowing the uterus to get back into shape, the lower percentage of even getting a mare settled during that time, etc.

And, we are moving to Missouri in a few months and I really don't want to be foaling in March or April.... brrrrr!

We aren't in it for the money... ha-ha! So, we don't need a 'foal crop' to bring in revenue. I have known from the beginning that the only way to make a small fortune in horses is to start with a large fortune! lol!

My ultimate goal is to grow/raise all my food and avoid factory farming. I believe aggressively breeding horses of any size would fall into that category.

Thank you, again.

Kari

Latest posts

Back