Do only pregnant mares get this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValerieS

Reaction score
Do open mares get these milk spots on their teats or pregnant mares only? One of these girls is 100% in foal will be 300 days May 16th. The other two were exposed same time frame, one tested positive early on but I’m not convinced it held, the other tested negative early on then tested positive with a p-test 4 months later, again not convinced she’s pregnant. Wondering if the spots on the teats mean anything at all????????

Attachments

• 45044E57-538B-40E7-80A8-08FA90E05B5C.png
    45044E57-538B-40E7-80A8-08FA90E05B5C.png
    683.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 62CA3AF4-2238-4CDD-99E7-2C344791DF0B.png
    62CA3AF4-2238-4CDD-99E7-2C344791DF0B.png
    829.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 87A58BAF-DA67-4D85-B7EA-B75F49159D5F.jpeg
    87A58BAF-DA67-4D85-B7EA-B75F49159D5F.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I think that's normal pregnant or not but don't take my word for it. I'm going to double check tomorrow when I go out to the barn if I manage to remember. How are your girls doing? Do they give you the 'should I worry about you?' look yet? Haha, pregnant mares make us totally insane :)

TAZ HAHA they really do torture us! The one mare did give me a lot of worry for a good two weeks with bagging up way too early, lots of diarrhea off and on and even some strange relaxing of her vulva, but her udder has calmed down the manure has become normal and her vulva literally shortened so much. Something was going on was weird but im so thankful it has past🙏 she’s about 240 days now deep breath! I have two girls that were exposed as well not purposely but it happened and now im just trying to move forward. I had convinced myself one was a maybe the other a hard no but lately my suspicions are kicking in due to behavioral mostly. Only common denominator is the dots on the teats all these girls are maidens, so I thought I’d ask so thank you if you remember:) hope you and yours are doing well too💜

Thank you Elizabeth!! I of course forgot this morning and was going to try again tonight, now I don't have to :D.
ValerieS, that's great that she's back to normal, you can breath again.....for now. I go with maybe until they can't be but I'm a worrier ;). Please keep us posted

Those dots are plugs. All mares have them. Some are not very visible. But they are there too keep infection/gunk out of the teats. They loose them when they get very close to foaling.
Hey so is this a normal looking plug? This a maiden mare that “if” pregnant would be about 310 days. She tested positive with a blood test at around 90 days but I’m not convinced she held it 982BF4E2-D4CB-496E-A3C3-F31222CEE35F.png

Last edited:
Thank you Elizabeth!! I of course forgot this morning and was going to try again tonight, now I don't have to :D.
ValerieS, that's great that she's back to normal, you can breath again.....for now. I go with maybe until they can't be but I'm a worrier ;). Please keep us posted
Thank you for always responding and being helpful i really do appreciate it

Hey so is this a normal looking plug? This a maiden mare that “if” pregnant would be about 310 days. She tested positive with a blood test at around 90 days but I’m not convinced she held it View attachment 46344

Yes, that’s a great example of plug. Many people actually mistake it for wax. This leads to LONG foal watches haha.

Yes, that’s a great example of plug. Many people actually mistake it for wax. This leads to LONG foal watches haha.
Here’s her belly she’s the one that tested positive by vet drawn blood test at 90 days but I’m not convinced she held it and would be about 310 days nowD5426A30-527C-4FF5-B8C6-90D234886840.png

Here’s her udder today I can’t decide if there’s a little change or not?! This is why taking an early on pregnancy test sucks, even if it’s positive there’s no guarantee later and you’ll still probably wonder

Attachments

• 99A8EB59-F991-44AD-AAA4-AAFE01934ED9.jpeg
    99A8EB59-F991-44AD-AAA4-AAFE01934ED9.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 3
Is that the same mare?!? Don't give up on her yet!! That looks much more exciting, lol. Bellies don't really change that much that fast unless there's a baby in there. By the looks of her udder she she has a while to go.
If you look at both photos she has one small white circle on her right hind end, best way to know it’s the same mare😁isnt it true though that maidens can foal without any udder or is that not the usual because the only mini horse birth I’ve had on my ranch she foaled with no real udder development so can I really rely on that I wonder? Thank you for always replying this board is pretty quiet it seems?

Reactions: Taz

Latest posts

Back