Do not give advice on injuries or illness!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lynn, I'm sorry. "They" brought up stuff about me in the past, and I totally backed off the medical part of my posting. OK, the advice part. I still present information that I feel may help, and offer suggestions for things to check.

I read just about everything, and many people will freely give inaccurate medical advice, or relate treatments that have no bearing. At least there is rarely dangerous treatment suggested (the Forum has improved dramatically in that respect in the last few years) About the time I feel like I need to wade in on something one of the awesome "smart-timers" will post and straighten things out.

The thing is, at this point the general population of this Forum understands that fellow members are NOT veterinarians, and filter advice accordingly. Sad to say, there are more than a few inept and or non responding veterinarians practicing out there, and in an emergency or when medical advice doesn't feel right, people come here and lives are saved. Plain and simple truth. You guys ROCK.

I can't treat, diagnose, or prescribe for any animal I haven't established a doctor/client relationship with, and I can't treat animals in states where I'm not licenced (anywhere outside of MI, IL, CA, IA, or TX). I have been accused of doing that in the past, and had the validity of my professional degree questioned (I am not a foreign grad as suggested--I graduated in 1983 from Michigan State University with honors).

OK, off my soapbox. Go get 'em, Lynn. I may not always agree with you but I love and respect you.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, someone has way too much time on their hands and to tie up our court systems with this mess, OMG I am so sorry that this has happened to you, maybe you should get affidavits from people here to back you up and show how ridiculous this @#@# is. Geez when will people get a life.

[SIZE=14pt]Here is (I think) the link to the thread in question it is dated May 25 2004 In case this doesnt work it is in the archives, If you type in key word antibiotics it is titled Dosing penicillin, how much by miniappluvr. All I did was agree that the advice given by her vet was correct.[/SIZE]

My Webpage

this is the passage that was read to me by the investigator on the phone. This is where the "concerned citizens" said I practiced Vet medicine because I didnt say, in my experience and opinion" first.

Lyn

I don't know anything about the people involved in this but I think everyone, particularly Lyn, should keep this perspective..... Whenever a complaint is made to a State or County Regulatory Board, they have a legal obligation to investigate, even if it appears to have no merit That doesn't mean anything more than they must look into the situation. The vast majority of the time, they do nothing but talk to the individual involved and then inform the person making the complaint that they have found there is no violation and the whole matter is dropped.

The most likely outcome is that after these people talk to Lyn, the whole issue will disappear. These investigators are well aware that complaints are made for many reasons. Even if they feel there is some type of violation, they are likely to just say "don't do it again". I really don't think this will result in a negative outcome.

Sounds to me thoes two need to get a life!!!...I have read nothing but good thing on this forum..I am fairly new to minis and I really have learned so much info on here...I hope this doesn't stop anyone from shareing their experiences with us be it good or bad... I'm so sorry Lyn..
no.gif
If they don't approve of the information given on this site ..IMO they need to stay off of here!!!

[SIZE=14pt]GRRRR -- now I'm mad, and as many of you know, that's not a pretty sight...[/SIZE]

So, I'm jumping ahead before I've read all of the posts.

There is an enormous difference between offering medical advice and sharing hard-gained wisdom. I don't blame lyn or anyone from protecting yourselves from legal actions or reprimands, but to lose this shared wisdom will cause much more harm than good.

My suggestion:

We need to consult with an attorney as to a disclaimer that each individual can include in their posts involving any sort of advice. Similar to the old disclaimer at the top of the forum...something along the line of: I am not a veterinarian, and do not claim such credentials. I am not dispensing veterinary medicine, but merely sharing my experience as a horse owner. Before acting upon anything you read in any public forum, you are strongly adviced to seek your veterinarian's counsel.

Yes, it would be repetitious, but it would be well worth being able to continue learning from those with experience.

I was going to list the many things, some of them extremely basic, but critical to my horses' health, that I've learned here on this forum...much of which not all vets are aware of. However, it would take a book!

Regardless of what transpires on this forum the advice Lyn has ever offered is NOTHING compared to some of the doozies these harassers could get worked up about. This is all about revenge and until someone is strong enough to end this vendetta on either side, this will just become a regular happening. Seems like not long ago some other complaints were made about Lyn by the same irksome people so this is just to be expected, over and over and over. If it were me Lyn I wouldn't bite and advertise it, I'd set them up for a harassment lawsuit and be going to court with "clean hands" as they say. You can do a lot of damage to someone legally when they can show no evidence of your retalation.

Helpful suggestions and medical advice are two different things and it one wants to risk giving medical advice and that amounts to specific suggestions, preparations, administering drugs or techniques usually reserved for a veterinary professional, whether you learned it from you vet or not is treading on dangerous ground not only legally but for the safety of the animal as well. If you want to check out the legitimacy of the idea with your personal vet, great, but also be aware sometimes the advice given does end up replacing legimate medical advice because someone thinks they can do what vets do whether they have experience or not. So do be cautious because the animal you may be responsible for damaging may be totally unitentional. Not even a professional DVM like Dr. Pam would diagnose and offer treatment based on a written description of a problem, not even in real time as in a forum. I don't know how anyone can miss the insanity of that!
wacko.gif

I agree with Ionafarm, it most likely won't amount to a hill of beans provided they dont' find something that does fit into an illegality of some sort that they think is serious enough to prosecute. Frankly all the attention this thread give to them only adds fuel to the fire is most like that it exactly what they wanted to accomplish and unfortunately, did.

EDITED: DANG IT DIMI, I almost chewed your avatar off my computer screen, yum, drool!
eat.gif

Last edited:
lyn_j said:
[SIZE=14pt]Michelle, that is the correct dose. If you give less it wont do the job and all it will do is make him more resistant to antibiotics if he ever needs them again.[/SIZE]Lyn

160064[/snapback]

For crying out loud for THIS?
new_shocked.gif
I think you'd better sic these folks on me. I have done and said the same thing many a time, and more. God forgive me, this is bull ***t!

Lyn,

I am so sorry that people behave this way. I am guessing it is because you are one of popular people on the forum that we all love to read your post that they picked you to try to upset and disturb you.

I personally value your post and love seeing pictures of your horses. These people are probably jealeous. I am just so sorry they singled you out. It could have been any of us.

Keep your chin up.

Freida

[SIZE=14pt]Lyn I am so sorry hon, this just makes me so mad. [/SIZE]

PLEASE, please make sure you are actually dealing with who she said she was on the phone. Call the office of where ever she said she was from and double check credentials before allowing her into your home.

Hang in there, Lyn!

The majority of the people on this Forum look forward to your input. experience, expertise, and advice!

We believe in you, we love you and we will stand behind you!!!!
yes.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Oh good heavens, Lyn. So sorry you are being harrassed like this. I don't think the people doing the 'reporting' have a leg to stand on. Geez, I thought I was vindictive... I bet this blows over and will end up just being a blip. In fact, I would find a good attorney and talk about your options for a civil suit for harrassment or malicious prosecution, or something along those lines. [/SIZE]

Oh No!!! Wait!!! Here's my disclaimer: I AM NOT A LAWYER, I AM NOT A VET. I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL CHEF. I AM NOT A HOUSE PAINTER. I AM NOT LICENSED AT ANYTHING BUT DRIVING A CAR. BUT I AM AN AMERICAN, AND AS SUCH, I WILL OPEN MY BIG MOUTH AND EXPRESS ANY OPINION I CARE TO ANY TIME I WANT, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Seriously, my attitude would be/is "Bring it on."

Hugs and prayers...for what is right.

Hehe...keeperofthehorses...

Good to know there's another susanne/suzanne on here with a BIG mouth! (Even if you do spell your name wrong
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
)

Well I regularly open my mouth only to insert foot......and I rarely remember to attach a disclaimer to MY OPINION.....as I always a ssumed that a forum was for the open discussion of OPINIONS.......

man those people really need to get a life...not to mention get over themselves.....it isn't like they actually ARE anybody important
ohmy.gif
maybe a legend in their own minds......
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

We know your opinions on helping legally blind is the issue.......

BUT, in the case of the quoted thread, doesn't the fact that you are a RN give you the knowledge and training to AGREE with a vet?

Heck, I often agree with my vet and I'm not even trained for it beyond that great teacher "experience".

[SIZE=14pt]WOW- If you can get into that sort of trouble for agreeing just think the kind of trouble I can get myself into for disagreeing!!! As I often do.....and shall continue to do....Without disclaimer.....It is NOT only Americans that are entitled to freely voice their own opinions, Folks, if it were I would have been in jail a long time ago. Trust me, (I'm a Teacher
smile.gif
)[/SIZE]

I am so sorry that you have to go through this... harassment!

{{{Hugs}}} and I will keep you in my prayers.

If everyone (except me) knows who these individuals are, and from what I am reading, and this is just one of their little performances can't they just be banned from the forum?

I still believe there isn't a snowballs chance in H-E-double hockey sticks that anything will result from this. Their vet perscribed, you did not. Yes, please do check their credentials before they enter your home. I would also call their office to inquire if this is a factual meeting prior to them coming.

I still say ban the b!*c^*s!
yes.gif

Fran

"I AM NOT A LAWYER, I AM NOT A VET. I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL CHEF. I AM NOT A HOUSE PAINTER. I AM NOT LICENSED AT ANYTHING BUT DRIVING A CAR. BUT I AM AN AMERICAN, AND AS SUCH, I WILL OPEN MY BIG MOUTH AND EXPRESS ANY OPINION I CARE TO ANY TIME I WANT, THANK YOU VERY MUCH".

[SIZE=14pt]Keeperofthehorses - that is great! LOL!
aktion033.gif
laugh.gif
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]"harassment"![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Mountain_waif - My thoughts exactly!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Wow, how did I ever miss this thread! Lyn we will all support you on this bogus claim. To me this is harassment! Lyn fight back and slap a harassment charge on their butts...lets see how they like it! [/SIZE]

torch.gif
poke.gif
nono.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back