Do minimal dwarf miniatures age quicker/have shorter life spn

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calekio

Reaction score
I have a suspected minimal dwarf miniature... or if not his confirmation is terrible and he has an array of medical problems!!

Either way recently i've notice he just appears old.. if that makes sense.. past year he's gone quite high withered and this weekend we've had some damp weather and he's had a few problems getting down on the ground.. but non getting up..

Anyway someone said to me that minimal dwarfs age faster.. i wondered if there was any truth in this? Could my boy just be getting old fast...?? (he is only 7)

I don't have any proof of this, but I too believe that dwarfs (whether overtly showing signs or minimal is their expression) do age faster than they years would indicate. When the medical issues are greater, obviously that complicates things and they have more that ages them or causes their early demise. But I've seen dwarves as foals and I have always felt they "aged" faster than their non-dwarf counterparts. And it isn't often that you see a 20 year old dwarf. They certainly exist, but it's not common. Most seem to pass by 3 or 4. But ones like Thumbalina who get all the medical care money can buy seem to live longer. I believe she's close to 10 now and certainly a severe case. There is a "moderate" case dwarf here in MO named William that is 20 or so. And he looks and feels great! But his owners also provide him with great care. They've also taken in others that were more severe than William and they have only lived a couple of years.

I bought a filly a few years back as a show horse (yep, I missed ALL the signs) and an she became a yearling it became more obvious to me that she was what we refer to as "minimally expressed" but still a dwarf. She is not a pet for someone and although she's only 3 or 4 (can't remember off hand), I saw her a few months ago and yes, I thought she looked and acted like a 10 year old and not a "young" horse.

Best of luck with your boy. Maybe some joint supplements might make his movement easier?

Yes, It's true, Dwarf miniature horses age faster than normal minis! It's not as much age, but they develop arthritis in their bones at a much younger age than normal minis! We have rescued dwarfs for many years and it's so sad to watch them age! They will develop arthritis at a very young age, sometimes as young as 2 years old! We give all of ours MSM everyday with their grain! We also use a product called Equioxx for arthritis and it does a wonderful job controlling the inflammation in their joints! Our dwarfs are named the "Brat Pack" and their names are Angel, Patches, Scooter, Piggy, Lil Abner, Eli May & Jazzy!
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png

If you need more info you are welcome to PM me!

Bill

My achondroplasia dwarf mare (that is now at a friends house helping keep their little boy busy) is 11 years old right now and as healthy as any other horse her age. She has not had any health problems-but I believe she is as 'minimal' as a dwarf gets. I'm sure she'll get arthritis in those back legs soon. I agree with others that most other dwarfs do indeed seem to age faster due to the health problems that go along with being a dwarf. Good luck with your little guy!

Back