DNA your animals !!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bess Kelly

Reaction score
I have preached DNA/PQ for years. Have seen sooooo many issues with not getting the foals registered because you NEED to DNA them and parents weren't done. It is just so preventable. I send in DNA/PQ request with foal registration paperwork. My friend says, "why? it's extra cost". YES, it is. But my reputation is worth it and the foal is also.

Ok, so it costs $41. IMO if you don't feel the foal or parent is worth the $41. then just DO NOT breed them. Yes, some purchased not knowing they were bred, etc. Hey, ASK the registry if both parents are DNA tested. Offer to pay for it if needed.

My animals were done waaaaay back when AMHA first started to make it available, yep all animals in my herd (and it cost over $50 each then). I did them 4-6 a month until done. I do any I add to the herd.

You say you only do one foal a yr and don't need to have the parents DNA'd because of their age, etc. So what!? Save $1 each week and have it done. A responsibility issue for sure.

OK......OFF THE SOAP BOX.......WELL, MAY STEP BACK UP -- AMHR NEEDS TO START DNA
yes.gif
(And pictures......I know none of this totally stops anyone who wants to stiff us, but it sure does help. Gotta start somewhere.)

I also DNA all my horses (except geldings that I purchased as geldings). I DNA my foals at registration time. I PQ if DNA is available for both parents.

OK......OFF THE SOAP BOX.......WELL, MAY STEP BACK UP -- AMHR NEEDS TO START DNA  (And pictures......I know none of this totally stops anyone who wants to stiff us, but it sure does help. Gotta start somewhere.)
I sure hope that if the AMHR DOES start DNA -- they do it wisely and arrange for sharing of DNA results with AMHA -- so we don't have to DNA the same horse two times!! I don't mind paying a $5 share fee or some small amount like that.. to have the DNA recorded with both registries.

Another benefit of DNA -- if your horse is stolen and it has NO identifiable MARKINGS--- and it is found in someone else's barn -- you can prove it is your horse by comparing the DNA of the horse.

JJay

Last edited by a moderator:
Bluerocket said:
I sure hope that if the AMHR DOES start DNA -- they do it wisely and arrange for sharing of DNA results with AMHA -- so we don't have to DNA the same horse two times!!  I don't mind paying a $5 share fee or some small amount like that.. to have the DNA recorded with both registries.

JJay

419862[/snapback]

boy i would be SHOCKED if that happened but hey stranger things
wink.gif

I thought I read somewhere on the R website or something that you can send in the results you have and have it stamped on your papers for 10 bucks????

Pretty much all of our herd that is AMHA is DNA. I never did pQ before cause didnt know how it worked. But started that this year. We do have 2 older AMHA mares who are not DNA but that is about it.

This whole DNA thing confuses me. I have mares that I purchased that were over the cut off age and had not been DNA'd. My stallion is DNA'd. Now the way I understand it, if any foals that I have are used for breeding they must be DNA'd. Would there be a problem that their mom's were not DNA'd?

As long as they mares were born before the cut off age then no. I beleive the age was 95? Any foal born now that will be used for breeding must be DNA. I beleive on stallions before the cut off age if they breed more then 5 mares they must be DNA as well. But im not positive.

I consider the cost of DNA just part of the cost of doing business. Any foal that I expect will be used for future breeding I have DNAed and PQed. I bought one mare (in foal) last year that is not DNAed (not required because she was born before the deadline) and I am having her DNAed also so that I can get the foal PQed.

I also wish AMHR would require the DNA and photos. Certainly not a perfect solution to all problems, but the best at this point.

All of my breeding herd is DNA'd. Some of the mature horses are PQ'd too. This year I am DNA'ing and PQing all of my foals so there will be no doubt about the parentage to any prospective buyer!

I couldn't agree with you more Bess!

There are so many little messes and oops! for people that buy horses that are not DNA'd & PQ. I really think both need to be done as there isn't much point of DNA testing without proving the parentage. (IMHO)

We went to the expense last year of DNA testing all of our minis all the way back to our 20 year olds (we have two 22 year olds we haven't done yet!). We did this when we double registered our breeding herd with AMHR. Except for a few that are slated for gelding - they are family pets - we want all our herd double registered and PQ, so we can establish a proven lineage in our breeding herd.

There are just to many stories of how breeding was done in the past and there are still lots of unscrupulous people out there. I'm sure they'll figure out a way around this, and hopefully both AMHA & AMHR will eventually make this mandatory. (I do hope AMHR will accept AMHA's tests as they were done through UCD!
rolleyes.gif
)

Our goal is all horses that we breed beginning this year are DNA and PQ tested before or at the time of sale. As Bess mentioned it really is an inexpensive test and does give a buyer that much more assurance as to what they're getting.

I just sent 17 test requests in - ontop of the 10 we've already done so far this year. Only 18 more to go for this year!!

I want to make sure I am doing this right the first time.

When I get ready to send in my foals papers to do the DNA/PQ I need to check BDNA DNA typing per horse. Since she does not have a reg # just leave that blank or do I put the word foal in that space. Pay the extra $41 dollars and then they send me a kit to pull hair, then mail it to the testing lab. They send the results to AMHA and then it will be put on her registration papers.

Deb

Deb, you got it! Of course, both parents must have been DNA tested in order for them to get the PQ.....which is a comparison of the two parents DNA that says the DNA of this foal is one that could be a result of this mating.....then you also get a slightly different registration form. It's a different color and says "Parentage Qualified".

If you just check the PQ box on the DNA form they will do this and there is no extra charge for the comparison -- same $41. It does hold your registration paperwork until the results are back. But, with the backlog at AMHA, the results are usually back before they seem to be "getting to" the paperwork anyway. The last foal I request this for (been 2 yrs -- I didn't breed for any last yr) I called at the end of 5 weeks because I hadn't gotten the DNA kit
new_shocked.gif
. So, stay on top of it
laugh.gif

I hope that AMHR will begin the requirement AND work out a share of those who are dble reg that already are DNA tested. Not sure who pays for the storage of the info, if any fees, but I'd sure be thrilled to pay a nominal fee to have the DNA show to both -- and suspect that AMHA would get a portion of this fee if they have had the monetary expense to build the history. Well, I'm certain this will be a huge "discussion" if it ever happens
wacko.gif
but, with most owners being members of both registries, I feel it will be handled in a fair manner.
wink.gif

Thank you so much. I was pretty sure that was how it was supose to be done. But I had not done it before.

I would really like AMHR to have photos on their papers. I am not that talented when it comes to drawing the areas of different color on the papers.

Yes both of my mares and the one stallion that is AMHA have already had their DNA done.

The only real problem will be when AMHR does come around to having the DNA done. What happens if your horse does not match up to who is suppose to be the parents. (for the few that do not keep up on the ooops breeding that happens every once in a while, when the wrong stallion is out with the mares and should not be.)
new_shocked.gif

My horses have come from quit a few places and some I have no background on. I mean I have never met the people that had done the original breeding of them.

Deb

Back