DNA testing...question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy's_mom

Reaction score
Hello all! I have a friend of mine who acquired a stallion, now gelding, a couple months back. When I looked him over for her, I really liked what I saw. He was used for breeding before she bought him. She didn't know if he was registered or not because she never got papers and didn't bother to ask if he had reg. papers. He seems well trained for only being used a breeding stallion. My question is, could you DNA test him to find out if he was registered? I know you can get the form for it through AMHA but without reg. name and number you can't do it. Would there be a way around that to get him tested just to see if he had papers? She looked into getting him hardshipped but it's going to cost more than she wants to spend and with everyone closing their books he won't get papers at all. He's solid black, so she can't register him with the Pinto Association. Thanks for any help!

Becky M.

Yes, if he was DNA'd through AMHA they could tell if there was a match IF he had previously been DNA'd and it is on file with them. You would still have to go through all the past owners though in order to get the paperwork.

Getting the information from the past owners is the best way.

See if they have papers and get them from them.

Back