DNA Test Results

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheri Hill

Reaction score
My new colt SH Moonshine, (pending) that was born a on April 29th out of my black and white mare and by my black and white w 1 blue eye, homozygous stallion. I had Moonshine tested to see if he is homozygous for tobiano and as suspected he IS homozygous for tobiano! (TT) YAY! :aktion033: He is sold and she wanted to know if he was homozygous for black so he was also tested for red factor and he carries both black and red, so not homozygous for black. (Ee)

Horsesgrazinginyard5-9-06014.jpg

Moonshine5daysold5-4-06017.jpg

Foxiescolt2daysold5-1-06003.jpg

I also suspected that my filly born April 8th, SH Diamond Starburst Tiara (pending) was a minimal pinto (because previous owner told me that same pair had a minimal sorrel filly last time. Her sire, a silver black appy varnish roan stallion, (whose sire is a listed as pintaloosa,) bred to my other mare, Frosty, a bay varnish roan appy (who has blue specks in her eyes) threw a loud bay pintaloosa filly last year.)

(I wouldn't have suspected if the previous owner hadn't told me about their other foal!) Diamond has a star, white socks and her tail is SO white that I looked close and the skin is pink and black underneath. So although the light foal coat/tail and I also think she is a silver bay, I suspected minimal pinto. (could also still be hiding some appy spots that I hope come out later.) Anyway, I wanted to know if she was for sure, so had her tested for tobiano. She is (nT) so YES, she does carry tobiano and is a minimal pinto!! :new_shocked: :aktion033: I got a pinto out of two obvious Appy's! LOL
default_wacko.png
: :aktion033:
default_wink.png
:

Diamondrightside4-27-06001.jpg

98e217df.jpg

2d9493b7.jpg

Results are below. They were very fast, I sent them on Friday, they must have got them on Monday and I got the e-mailed results this afternoon.

Animal Genetics Incorporated

1336 Timberlane Road

Tallahassee, FL 32312

Test Results

Name: Sharon Hill Account#:

Business: SH Miniature Horses Email: [email protected]

Date Received: 5/8/2006

Horse Name Breed Tobiano Red Factor

SH Moonshine Miniature Horse TT Ee

SH Diamonds Starburst Tiara Miniature Horse nT -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Result Guide:

Tobiano

TT Only Tobiano allele detected. The horse tested homozygous for Tobiano.

nT Both Tobiano and non-Tobiano alleles detected. The horse is Tobiano heterozygous.

nn No Tobiano was detected.

Red Factor

ee Only the red factor detected. The horse tested homozygous for red pigment. The basic color is chestnut or sorrel, but depending on genes at other color loci, the horse could be red dun, palomino, cremello, gray or white.

Ee Both black and red factors detected. The horse tested heterozygous for the red factor. It can transmit either E or e to its offspring. The basic color of the horse will be black, bay or brown, but depending on genes at other color loci, the horse may be buckskin, zebra dun, grullo, perlino, gray, or white.

EE Only the black factor detected. The horse tested homozygous for black pigment. It cannot have red foals regardless of the color of the mate. The basic color of the horse will be black, bay or brown, but depending on genes at other color loci, the horse may be buckskin, zebra dun, grullo, perlino, gray or white.

Amazing isnt it on the filly, u just never know!!!! And that colt is hot stuff!! U got some good results back for sure.

WOW! That was a fast turn-around....I sent mine off this week....can't wait for the results!

Yes, it is amazing about that filly, and it is nice to have confirmation on what you think is a good possibility.
default_yes.gif
: Now I can accurately say she is a minimal pinto, carrying tobiano. Not, I think she might be.

I was happy about the results! :aktion033:

I was hoping I would get them by the end of the week, so was pleasantly surprised to get them by Wed. via e-mail.

Moonshine is such a lil cutie and he knows it! LOL
default_wink.png
: It will be sad when he goes, but I get to enjoy him for a while and he is going to a great home.

Sheri

Latest posts

Back