DNA results

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am just getting into minis and purchased a black tobiano stallion that is supposed to be homozygous for tobiano. On my big pintos it stated that the animal was homozygous or not. The DNA report I was given on this stallion does not say either way. Instead there are a bunch of codes with no explanation of what they mean. This report was from the University of CA in Davis, CA

I have e-mailed them hoping there is someplace on their website that explains the codes but am hoping someone here might know so I don't have to wait. None of the codes match any of the color genetic markers I am familiar with so have been a little frustrated trying to figure out what it means.

Here are the codes I have if anyone can help.

ASB17: F

VHL20: MP

HTG10: KO

HTG4: MP

AHT5: JL

AHT4: IO

HMS3: PR

HMS6: PQ

HMS7: LO

LEX3: M

LEX33: GK

ASB2: MO

ASB23: IL

I am even wondering if these was a color genetic test or if it was for proof of parentage.

I have really enjoyed reading everyones posts and have been learning a lot. I spend waaaay too much time online reading what everyone has to say.

Can anyone tell me when the mini show is in Pasco WA. I really want to go and am pretty sure it is sometime this month. Thanks.

This question seems to come up about once a month.

To the average person, the results of the DNA test from UC Davis (that is required by AMHA for breeding animals) does not mean anything. It can be used to check parentage if the parents have also been DNAed.

To test for colors/patterns, you have to have another test done. There are several labs that do them. I usually use this one http://www.horsetesting.com/ as they are relatively fast and economical ($25 per test).

As Songcatcher said, the DNA test report that you have is for genetic identification and parent qualification with AMHA. It has nothing to do with colors, patterns or diseases.
default_smile.png

Thanks for the input. This is the paperwork I was given with the understanding it was the proof of his being homozygous tobiano. I knew it didn't match up to any color genetic codes I am familiar with but thought maybe Davis labs had their own coding.

Guess I will e-mail the lady I bought him with and see if she has another letter with his tobiano test. She may not have realized she should have two different sets of paperwork on him.

I have been reading these threads religiously the last few months and must have missed any that had shown the actual codes. I know their are questions of DNA and color testing but had never seen a sample of the actual codes.

Latest posts

Back