DNA results!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheyAut

Reaction score
I am totally excited to get my DNA results on 2 of my minis.

First is my flaxen chestnut pinto, Landrys Cowboys Diamonds & Rubys. I bought her about 1.5 years ago, but before me she has had 7 foals. All of her non-chestnut foals were silver, but the sire was a silver black, so I always wondered if she might carry silver, but never knew.

Being chestnut, she's obviously ee.

She tested aa, so she won't pass on agouti (however, my stallion she is bred to is AA so if the baby gets E from him, it'll be bay, whichi is fine b/c I love bay).

And... she's homozygous silver!!!! ZZ!
default_smile.png
I love silvers, so that's neat! 'Course, that won't matter unless a foal gets an E from the sire, but still a chance!
default_smile.png

Here's Ruby:

rubyhead2.jpg

c8eb420e.jpg

And then my bucksin mini mare, HRK Kates Chocolat Creme de Coco. She is a strange color, actually she always changes colors. But in natural summer coat, she looks buckskin, but her points and mane/tail are reddish. I've heard buckskins can vary, and that can be "normal" but I always wondered if she didn't have silver.

She is Crcr, so buckskin

Ee so black based but can have chestnut foals

Aa so has agouti but wont' always pass it on, and.....

Zz!!!! She DOES have silver, I was right!
default_smile.png

Here's Cocoa.

Shaved, so not showing true coat, but..

cocoa11corr.jpg

And not shaved (or grown out from being shaved)

46a22b33.jpg

cocoamidnightruby.jpg

Jessi

VERY interesting! I was sure surprised to see Cocoa was silver! I never would have thought so. I would have thought her mane was sunbleached! VERY interesting indeed!
default_yes.gif
:

Congratulations!!!

I'm a silver fan as well
default_yes.gif
:
They're so pretty, aren't they?
default_smile.png
Heck, all colors are pretty ;)

Mona: I really had been wondering about her. I figured it was just wishful thinking, thinking she had silver. I was surprised when I got the email from Michal (Pet DNA) and I woke up hubby! haha!
default_smile.png
Sunbleaching is very common here in Az (my poor Friesian isn't solid black b/c of it!
default_sad.png
) but her points are chocolate color, and her mom is the same, and Cocoa has always had the light color, so I didn't think it was sunbleaching.

Here's her as a baby:

katencocoa5.jpg

Then when she started shedding:

mochahead.jpg

Which then turned into this:

13b81c13.jpg

And as a weaner:

4311b508.jpg

Jessi

Last edited by a moderator:
Very neat! I would say Cocoa is a classic example of cream inhibiting the effects of silver.

Latest posts

Back