DNA Question update...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontherisefarm

Reaction score
Hi Everyone !!!! :saludando: :saludando: :saludando:

The lady that was wanting me to send her my horse's DNA evidently didnt like what I wrote back to her.. I wrote to her ;

If you could send me the name and address of the lab you are wanting to use I can just send them the sample that way we can cut out a step....

Anyway, since I sent her that email she has dropped off the face of the earth...She was emailing me back right away or calling me..Havent heard a peep out of her since..My hubby thinks it is because she wasn't in control of the situation and she didnt like it. She wanted me initially to pay for the tests to be run but told her I couldnt afford to do it right now.Which I cant..She got a little chilly after that... Oh well.... I hope she isnt like that with everyone she tries to buy from...... I guess everyone needs to aware that there are people out there that would love to take ahold of the situation and dictate the terms of your sale....

Yep yep yep, been there done that.. Welcome to the joys of selling horses :eek:
default_rolleyes.gif
: :eek:

I would have done the same thing you did...

I've been emailing back and forth with a couple ladies about two of our horses for sale, one even went on to the point of wanting to set up a time to come see the one filly.. Yep, both have disappeared.. I hate it because even though I don't know the person I still worry if something happened to them or if they just changed their minds.. Would be nice for some people to have the common courtesy of saying "I'm not interested anymore."
default_wacko.png
:

I think I am missing something here too.... she was buying a horse from you? And she wanted you to send her the DNA sample?

This is her earlier post regarding the DNA testing:

Hi everyone !! I sure hope you can help me out... I have this colt for sale who has not been DNA tested with the registry yet. Anyway, I have this lady who is interested in my colt but wants to run 3 color DNA tests on him as she is wanting to specifically breed for a certain color. The lady wants me to send her samples from my colt. I have no problem having the tests run but feel weird about sending her my colts DNA as I really dont know for sure what she is gonna do with it. Should I tell that she needs to just send me the money and I will send in the tests or what should I do.. I really personally cannot afford to pay for those tests myself or I would have them run and not worry about it. This is a totally new experience for me... ANY SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED ..Thanks Everyone again....

DNA Testing and Color Testing are different. I personally like to test my color horses before selling them if its something sellers want to know or should know such as homozygous or LWO.

DNA Testing and Color Testing are different. I personally like to test my color horses before selling them if its something sellers want to know or should know such as homozygous or LWO.
Ashley, either way, it is still DNA. Both for color or genetic markers for other things, all come from the bulbs of the hair sample provided. The interested party said they wanted the seller to send them the hair/DNA sample. The seller offered to send it directly to the lab, and the interested party didn't like that. Sounds suspicious to me, like maybe she wanted to keep that DNA for other purposes??

Ashley, either way, it is still DNA. Both for color or genetic markers for other things, all come from the bulbs of the hair sample provided. The interested party said they wanted the seller to send them the hair/DNA sample. The seller offered to send it directly to the lab, and the interested party didn't like that. Sounds suspicious to me, like maybe she wanted to keep that DNA for other purposes??
Bingo... I'd never send out hair follicles on a horse I owned to someone else.. In today's world it's hard to trust anyone anymore :no: And I sure wouldn't feel obligated to have to run color tests for a *potential* buyer (LWO yes I could understand simply to try and protect future foals) especially if it wasn't in my financial budget to do so..

I know its DNA, I also wouldnt send hair to them.

I also dont send color tests for a potential buyer but I typically always will homozygous/LWO test before I list the horse. Heck most of the time that can make or brake a sale and I would rather have that up front before the fact not after.

I know its DNA, I also wouldnt send hair to them.

I also dont send color tests for a potential buyer but I typically always will homozygous/LWO test before I list the horse. Heck most of the time that can make or brake a sale and I would rather have that up front before the fact not after.

Yes. I agree, I also like to know what my horses color/pattern make-up is but not all people are that interested that it makes them want to spend the money on it, and potential buyers cannot expect it to be done at someone else's expense for their curiosity. I would not have a problem in doing it at their expense if I did not already have it done, but I would send the sample to the lab myself. I do see where it can make or break a sale too, as if someone(for example) is interested in buying a LWO stallion and wanted it tested as even though he looked as though he MAY carry it, they might want to know for sure.

Yep yep yep, been there done that.. Welcome to the joys of selling horses :eek:
default_rolleyes.gif
: :eek:

I would have done the same thing you did...

I've been emailing back and forth with a couple ladies about two of our horses for sale, one even went on to the point of wanting to set up a time to come see the one filly.. Yep, both have disappeared.. I hate it because even though I don't know the person I still worry if something happened to them or if they just changed their minds.. Would be nice for some people to have the common courtesy of saying "I'm not interested anymore."
default_wacko.png
:
Lucky C ~ Does the lady reside in PA? Just wondering because I know of 4 people that had set up appointments with a lady from Pa. and NO show. Lots (LOTS) of excuses but ~~~ no show, none the less. And the excuses were not the same from one farm to the next! I agree, if people would just have common courtesy and let us know, that would be wonderful. I had spent 3 different days waiting for them to show up here!!!!!! AND, it doesn`t take much for me to get behind now a days.

So I had a lot of catching up to do. LOL

I would have the lady that wants a DNA on your horse to send the $$$. Then you can send it on to the lab.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI all !!

I felt that I had done the right thing with the DNA. My colt is Perlino and she wanted to know if he would throw buckskins 100% of the time.She was not wanting smokey blacks. Nothing quite as important as knowing if a horse is LWO postive or not. And really the lady tried to take control from the get go. Asking for less money on a horse I just bought a few weeks ago and I was only asking what I paid for it. The Lady sounded nice on the phone but in the end I think she really showed her true colors. It is sad. really.

Thanks Lucky C for posting the quote from my previous post....

I dont need to sell the colt all that bad. The right person will come along and if not I see a gelding in his future..LOL

Thanks all for your wonderful imput..... :saludando: :saludando: :saludando:

Lucky C ~ Does the lady reside in PA? Just wondering because I know of 4 people that had set up appointments with a lady from Pa. and NO show. Lots (LOTS) of excuses but ~~~ no show, none the less. And the excuses were not the same from one farm to the next! I agree, if people would just have common courtesy and let us know, that would be wonderful. I had spent 3 different days waiting for them to show up here!!!!!! AND, it doesn`t take much for me to get behind now a days. So I had a lot of catching up to do. LOL
She was from Ohio.. I even emailed her the new pictures I took this past weekend and still haven't heard back.. :eek: Gotta love the ones who ask for photos at the time when you need new ones, so you take the time to clean up, clip and take new pictures, send them to them and NEVER hear back..
default_rolleyes.gif
: When I'm looking at a potential horse to purchase I'll ask for the info/photos, and then when I get them I'll either let them know that I'm interested or not, and if not interested, I take the time to thank them for their time and kindly tell them that I am no longer interested.. And I love the ones that email you and the first 5 words of the email are "Will you take $X amount" which is ALOT less than asking price.. :eek:
default_rolleyes.gif
: I've even had a couple people that I have emailed back and forth for weeks, set up a date (they had my email, my cell phone number, my parents cell number and our house number, count em, that's FOUR different ways to get ahold of us) only to have them stand us up and NEVER hear from them again..

But of course with all the bad nuts out there, there's the great buyers.. We've been fortunate enough to place our horses in fantastic homes with great people that I have kept in contact with and were great to work with..

Thanks Lucky C for posting the quote from my previous post....
You're welcome!! Sky says HI! lol He was one happy boy this past spring, had all the ladies to himself!! lol That new palomino pinto colt you're getting is gorgeous! Can't wait to see updated pics of him!

Thanks Lucky C.. Give Sky a great big kiss for me. I sure miss that boy...

My new palomino pinto colt probably wont have new pics until spring when I can clip him off.. He will be so fuzzy when I get him you wont be able to see anything but hair..LOL I am really excited to get him home. It wont be until after the Worlds though.... End of this month or first part of next not sure which.

Again Thanks everyone for all the info and suggestions.... :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back