Disturbing sight!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharon

Reaction score
Hubby and I went down the shore this past Thursday so I could get my "boardwalk fix". I had my wheels, "Speedy" with me so I could enjoy the afternoon there.

We came upon this sight and I just had to see, so I paid $1 to go in and look. It says on the sign, "10 inches at birth".
unsure.gif

f310a34e.jpg

This is what I saw......
sad.gif

f310a1b1.jpg

I only got the one picture because I got yelled at.
ohmy.gif
It is very hard to tell how tall this horse is because you stand up above it. My guess would be that it's in the 30-32" range. No way, no how was it 10 inches at birth. This poor horse is VERY underweight. The picture doesn't really show just how bad it is. The backbone sticks way out and its hip bones stick way out. Wonder why they don't want pictures taken?
unsure.gif
no.gif
I could tell the sex of it because of the way they have it crammed in that little space and me being above it. Looked to be a very handsome horse. Black and white and at least 1 blue eye.

Is there anything that can be done about this type of thing? Poor thing, stuck in that little box all day, probably everyday with nothing to look at but walls and so under nourished.
sad.gif

no.gif
That's DISGUSTING!!! The reason it is likely so skinny is because they have it there to show people, so probably does not get fed from morning to night the whole time it is in that little box! Afterall, they don't want it
xkngt.gif
in public, or they might actually have to clean the box...maybe even lose a few bucks to close the "exhibit" down while the stall is mucked out. CREEPS!!

I would approach the owner of the "park" to voice your complaints.

ick! That is horrible...poor little guy! I have no idea what you could do about this situation
no.gif
wacko.gif

-Kris

PS. Those Dippin Dots (right infront of the "Worlds Smallest horse" booth) look delicious..my FAV ice cream ever! Too bad there rare around here...

Well I also have no idea what you can do about it, other than complain to the people running the fair. You could also ask the person running the exhibit for his/her superior's name and a way to contact them.

This looks to be the same company that sends one of these exhibits to our state fair every year.

Last year I talked to the man who ran the exhibit here and he was extremely friendly and let me go in with the little horse when no one was around, so I could check him over. This one was a dwarf but he was very well taken care of. And he had a huge pile of hay in front of him.

The man I spoke with told me that it was a large company and that they had 25 exhibits and horses that went all over the country and each set up has a horse and a caretaker. This man basically owns and takes care of this one little horse, so I guess that's probably why some horses are in better shape than others, it depends on that particular caregiver.

This man was quite knowledgeable about dwarfs and did tell me that of the 25 exhibits and horses around 20 of them are dwarfs.

Definitely sad I know
no.gif

I absolutely agree with Mona; complain to those who manage the whole attraction- ONLY if the public is vocal with their disapproval will you have any chance of getting this shameful (and misleading)display removed. You might also contact whatever animal humane group that serves the area...

Putting a miniature used for this kind of display down in a "box" below the viewers seems to be a "standard" practice(that way, you can't really tell how tall the horse is, and it is more difficult to evaluate its condition. The whole aim is to mislead, after all....
no.gif
! )What ticks me off is that these kinds of displays always seem to 'pop up' someplace else...! Some years ago, there was such a display at our STATE FAIR, but complaints removed it, and there has never been another such, at least at the Fair! You know, humans who appear in sideshow-type attractions like this, nowadays at least, have CHOSEN to do so, but animals have no choice! I understand that "exaggeration"(not to say, outright LIES!)are common in such kinds of attractions(not that this is right!)-BUT, any animal on display should have as good a care as ANY owner is morally obliged to give!! ( I won't write what I would like to see happen to the people who operate these kinds of displays....
torch.gif
)

Edited to add: Lindsey, you mean those people are still coming here?? I didn't realize that(but then, I NEVER go anywhere near the sideshow/carnival end of the Fairgrounds-nor around the "Largest Steer", etc.) Personally, I just don't LIKE the idea of displaying miniatures in this manner(ESPECIALLY dwarves, if for no other reason than it gives the general public a wrong notion of what they should look like!)-but am relieved to hear that some are at LEAST fed and taken care of....
unsure.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This little horse is at the boardwalk, down the shore so it's not like something that is there for a week then gone. Most everything is there year round, even though it is not all open year round.

This little guy did not appear to be dwarfy at all, just underfed. I wish I had been able to get more pics, but as soon as I took the one, the girl wanted me out of there.
rolleyes.gif

Well, that looks like a 5 gallon pickle bucket!

Call the ASPCA or humane society, or heck local law officials. Take your picture there. Call a local vet and inquire about it. Please do something. I might have had to cause a scene.
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
new_argue.gif
torch.gif
xkngt.gif

Oh, I have seen sites like that.

Last year when I went up to Vail with my friend, we went to a rodeo and in the petting zoo were 2 minis. About 30 inches or so. The poor things were forced the stand next to this smelly guy the whole time, whle he held their lead ropes. I wanted to steal em SOO badly, although I don't think my friends family would have appreciated it...

ohmy.gif
i would call the aspca that is downright crule if i was there i would jump in there and groom the poor thing and try to get it out some how ?
sad.gif
like how can anyone do such a thing to a poor miniature horse?

mybe you can like start like a really big list and if u get alot of names it will be able to stop the crulty!!!!!!!!!!

cara

Margo-- Yes, they have the exhibit set up right smack dab in the middle of the mid-way of all places
wacko.gif

But like I said, even though I hate it that these horses are on display like this, the man I talked to was very nice and knowledgeable and we talked about "his" horse and the company for almost an hour, and he let me go in with the horse and I gave him a good once over and even checked his teeth, which were in good shape despite his underbite. His hooves were good, legs slightly crooked but not bad. He had a very long body, really short legs, and a big head (can't remember the type of dwarf that is called).

I wish there was a way to shut down that company and others like it, but I'm sure they have lots of legal loo pulls up their sleeves
no.gif

Do you guys have the equivalent of our trade descriptions act?? Over here it would be technically illegal to advertise the horse that way as it patently is not true- get the newspaper involved. preferably get a picture showing you and a really "small horse" even if it's a foal- so you can say "Fifi is only 18" tall- they are claiming this horses is the smallest and he's easily 30-32"- I'm disabled and I went all the way down there and wasted a dollar to see a medium sized Miniature in terrible shape- they should be shut down, I cried all the way home, Etc. Etc."

I dont know what you can do, others have given good ideas but thats terrible! How sad
no.gif

If it were me, Id walk my mini on over there and tell these people up front its not the worlds smallest horse they have in that box, its simply a miniature horse and that is not the way to treat it - and chew them out.

How mean for that little horse! And not to care for it, what does it matter to them if they display a small horse with a pile of food in there or with out one?

He may still be a dwarf... my Cowboy looks a bit skinny when you see him from the top... due to his build...but he isn't. They usually have more than one animal for these exhibits - just as petting zoos switch animals in and out at times. I am not condoning this - far from it - but it could be worse. At least the horse has a clean water bucket... is in the shade.... the "stall" looks clean... and once a horse was used to the midway noises it would not bother him. But are such exhibits necessary?? No.

Years ago there was a World's Smallest Horse on the midway at the Calgary Stampede (I don't think such exhibits are allowed any more)... and she was definitely a dwarf - silver dapple... and very friendly and perky... looking up at her admirers with an air of... "I am SO bee-yoo-ti-ful, aren't I??" She had a few delicate little braids in her mane with pink ribbons... and was definitely well-cared for. Her bright little eyes showed that she, at least, was not stressed or concerned in any way. And the attendant obviously cared for her.... such a sweet, funny little gal - the horse, not the attendant!!

Well I think thats just the pits and so sad for that mini!

Its false advertising as we all know its not the smallest horse!
no.gif

Are the walls on that box he is in solid.....meaning that he can't look out?

That alone I would think is cruel as how is he getting any fresh air or even a breeze?

So sad and my heart just goes out to this mini! How can people do that!!!
no.gif

Anything for a buck I say!! GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Joyce

poor baby!
no.gif
new_shocked.gif
unsure.gif

at the Royal winter fair last year there was this man who owned about 20 minis, 2 mares 1 foal, 1 yearling colt, 1 stud, the rest geldings..all the boys were used for pony rides... 1 mare was used for pictures & the other mare & foal were lose with goats... the yearling colt was in a 5 x 5 wood box in the middle of the pen with a halter so small it was back past his jaw! the colt was friendly to others... but not to its owner.. the owner went to put him with the mare to take pictures... the colt reared but the man graped him & DRAGED him out hitting & punching & kicking & slaping him the whole time!!!!
new_shocked.gif
no.gif
in the middle of the day with lots of people around... i went over & asked if i could help or led him instead.. at first he ignored me but then he handed him to me & he was so easy to handle! i reported him!!!!!
no.gif

Why?

There is truly no need for it! the laws should be stricter!(sp)
no.gif

Call the Humane Society or ASPCA, whichever you have in that area.

If you decide to talk to the owner of the exhibit and he is uncooperative, tell him you will call them if the horse doesn't improve and you and people you know will be checking up on him on a regular basis. I did that with someone giving pony rides at a church function. There was a chain rubbing on the ponies eye. I complained to the man and he said that was the only way he could hook that pony up. I told him if it wasn't corrected I would call the Humane Society. He took the pony off the ride and put a different one on. About half and hour later the pony was back on the ride without being hooked in a way that rubbed his eye. The guy knew I was watching him and he was definately keeping an eye on me. Sometimes just the threat will make them straighten up.

Good luck,

Robin

Tip PETA off to them....maybe that'll get 'em going? What shore points is he at Sharon?

This same exhibit was at our fair before we ever got involved in miniatures.

How do you get PETA to react or even confirm your request? I've contacted them before and had no response.
wacko.gif

Sharon,

I remember seeing that horse at the Allentown Fair 2 or 3 years ago. I to was curious and paid the dollar to see him. I don't think he is a dwarf, but not great conformation either. He is skinnier than when I saw him
no.gif
I think standing in that little pen for your whole life doesn't help any with muscle tone. He looked depressed when I saw him
sad.gif
What boardwalk was he at? I would love to be able to buy him and turn him out in a field somewhere, but I asked if he was for sale when I saw him and was rudely told NO!

Sterling and Ms- This little guy is at Seaside Heights, on the southernmost ride pier.

Are the walls on that box he is in solid.....meaning that he can't look out?
Yes! He cannot see out unless he cranes his neck and looks way up. The only air getting in there is from up above.

There is no way I can go and check up on him because it is 1 1/2 hours away and I can't drive that far.

Latest posts

Back