Displaying photos at horse shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
Hi,

I like to take photos of my horses and display them at horse shows. What I have done in the past is take frames and set them on my table.

What I don't like about this is that the frames usually don't match (easy enough to rectify, but I would have to buy more frames of the same type) and they take up a lot of room in the tack trunk, also the glass breaks inevitably. I also fear that they will get knocked over and off the table while on display.

Have any neat ideas that are space-conscious, not too expensive and attractive?

What I'm considering now is laminating the photos (all 8X10) and then attaching them to my show curtains/stall drapes. That way I can attach them and they won't get ruined by dust, or be breakable.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Liz M.

I made up a collage and put it in a poster frame. It was cheap and the 'glass' , isnt LOL Easy to change out and no biggie if it broke

Place them face up on your table with plexiglass over them.??

Fran

In the past we have used the plastic page protectors you get at staionary stores. We got flat push pins that matched the drape colors and pinned them to the wooden stalls. The plastic page protectors can also be easily pinned on to your fabric if pinning them isn't an option. Using the page protectors is a LOT cheaper than laminating. If you don't like the white strip for putting them into a binder it can easily be cut off. It looks just as good as lamination and you can easily take the pictures out of the sleeves and use them for something else. A box of 100 page protectors is usually about 8 bucks.

Ferrah, that's a good idea. I am planning on using my printer to make most of the photos, though, and fear that the plastic sleeves would eventually build moisture and/or stick to the pics and ruin them anyway.

I have used the sleeves, but also we show in stalls that are metal, too, and some of them have nothing to pin to other than the fabric at the level I would like to display things.

Not sure about the plexiglass, we would have to haul that along, too, and I am thinking it would take a beating. Not to mention I like using the top of my table for other things. Neat idea for home, though!

I appreciate the input, keep 'em coming!

Liz M.

Some of the big discount stores carry a photo "screen" ... you know... 3 panels with hinges and each panel holds 4 big photos. I just use a thin wire to hold it up in case it gets bumped.

I don't have any ideas for the pictures, but how about using plexiglass in the frames instead of regular glass, at least that won't get broken in transit. I realize that plexi-glas isn't quite as nice as regular glass, but it would last longer for hauling to and from shows.

Liz

I don't think I have anypics on my laptop (at college) I do at home and will take some more at Nationals this week.

At Target they have these frames that are plastic and sort of stick out - like the depth is 2"..........I get them and then little hooks and put the hooks in my curtains and hang those plastic frames.

I don't know how else to explain but I will get a pic for you.

My trainer used to use lattes (SP?) and hang the picture frames on that. I know it will take some room but looks nice and ads shade when you have the sunny side of the barn. If I have a picture laying around I will ad it later. It is cheaper than drapes and still gives a nice effect.

Liz,

Have you checked out how Cherie Smith displays her photos and clients' photos? It's a nice display.

We used to make a photo album up and leave the album open on our table.

MA

I have several tall, 3 picture frames that I either stand up on the table or hang from the stall fronts above the table. 3 pictures in the table space of one.
smile.gif

Jan

nootka said:
  What I don't like about this is that the frames usually don't match (easy enough to rectify, but I would have to buy more frames of the same type) and they take up a lot of room in the tack trunk, also the glass breaks inevitably. 
462818[/snapback]

What about simply painting them to match, I find I like a modge podge of assorted shapes and sizes, adds interest instead of the stale uniform frames. Painting them would tie them together.

Laminate them and put them in the frame that way you don't have to worry about glass that breaks or Plexiglas that yellows and scratches.

Interesting suggestions!

Erica, I'm also eager to see the pics of the frames you are referring to.

MA, yes, I have seen Cherie's display and was thinking of doing something similar on a smaller scale w/my own pics, but now with all these neat ideas, I may just change my mind again!

I do have some time til next show season, but thought I'd better start work on it now while I have the inspiration and ideas fresh from THIS season. *LOL*

Hopefully I will soon have some new beautiful pictures of a few of my minis to add to the display.

I have done the photo book, too, but with the advent of digital photography, I can now select the better photos, print them in a size I like and that is both bad and good for the photo book idea! Inevitably, it just ends up being more clutter on our show table, and rarely did people look through it.

I want to make people look at my horses, since usually they are in their stalls and blanketed at shows, or they are out of the stalls in the ring when visitors happen past. To have the photos up for display helps alot, IME.

smile.gif

Liz M.

I've noticed that some people keep a nice photo album on their tables with a couple of chairs for viewing.

Sew a "frame" right on to your stall curtain, leaving the top open to so you can slide your photo into the pocket.

The first thing that popped into my head was to use nylon webbing to make the frame. It is flexible enough that when comes time to take it down it would fold yet is stiff enough to hold the photo in place. I don’t know if nylon webbing is the right “look†but it comes in various colors and widths with finished edges.

I would make the photo frame first then playing with "lay out" is soo much easier. Wouldn't need real close stitching so if you decide down the road you don't want it you can simply pop the stitching.

Laminated photos backed with either poster paper or even cardboard would keep your photos straight and clean.

You could try it on an old blanket or sheet (would use the same weight fabric so it would "hang" right. So you could get a feel for what it would look like before committing 100%.

Easy enough to put up and take down and changing photos would be a breeze. A bit of attention would have to be paid to photo size (i.e. if you have a 1" border you would have to make sure that parts of your horse was not in that 1") but very doable.

Sorry for the other mess on the chair, I had just finished changing out of my sneakers into my show boots...messy me.
biggrin.gif

I put some scrap-booking type photo lay-outs on a cardboard, "presentation board". I also usually have a small table set up with a photo album as well.

CrockersCritters.jpg

A couple of ideas...

Most displays I've seen do little to promote a quality horse. Think in terms of Liz McMillan's website and photo galleries. Let the photo and your horse be the star.

Since you are using a desktop printer, which is very inexpensive per print, I would first take multiple copies with you, keeping them safe and clean so that you can replace any that become soiled.

Instead of the home "scrapbooking" craftsy look, I would go for elegant simplicity. Uniframes are good -- just glass against a backer board, held together with simple, clean clips. Another idea is a plexiglass L-stand frame, where the photo/print slips into the plexiglass with no frame. Or black-core matboard (so the bevels are black) is beautiful.

Another complaint I have is that most photo displays are printed on plain cheapo paper and look faded and flat. You can get high quality photo paper that makes your prints sharp and clear -- or send them to Kinko's for high quality glossy output.

You can mount or have your photo mounted directly onto foam core or black=core matboard, then trim the edges flush to the edges of your photo. This gives it depth and a museum quality look. You can glue easel stands onto the back or hang it.

Crop your photo tight and print as large as you can -- so many photos show the entire farm and make the viewer strain to see the horse. Good, tight cropping draws in even those who planned on walking on by. Have at least one close-up head shot.

Also, keep your photos as close to eye level as possible -- early in the show I might be willing to bend down to look, but once I'm tired, forget it!

Try hanging your photos gallery style by attaching fishing line to tops of stalls or barn rafters, attaching the line to the top corners of frames. This would be especially slick against black velvet curtains. Print all your photos the same size, or at the very least hang them so that the tops are in a perfect line.

I like reading all I can about a horse, so you could also print and mount a paragraph about each horse, again as you would see in a museum.

Set out good coffee or strawberry lemonade, and you'll have the world at your stalls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you go Liz -

These are the frames I was trying to tell you about, as they are plastic, and stick out. I get them at Target for under $3 each. Then you get these little hook that are shaped sort of like a two fish hooks and stick them in the curtain and hang the pictures. Very easy.

These stall curtains are some that my mom and aunt made and then we took them to get embroidery on.

f2499573.jpg

you can sort of see the 'width' of the frames on the left of this picture

f24994d5.jpg

And I was very pleased with my new collage that a friend of mine done just two weeks ago.

f249951e.jpg

aktion033.gif

Wow, these are all really neat ideas and tips/hints.

I'm hoping to stick with 8X10 sized photos and I am attempting to be sure they are all uniform in size, at least, as well as the background that I am attaching them to.

Those frames are interesting, I will have to look and see if our Wal-Mart carries something similar, though I would guess they do.

I do want to stay away from a "crafty" look, susanne, so your more professional ideas are helpful reminders. My MAIN problem is that I am pretty sure I have ADD where anything creative is involved. I might really like something the first time around, but then when it's done, I get another idea or two and want to either modify it or change it completely, which is part of why I have no real "logo" that represents my farm, yet! *LOL*

It is a sad situation, really!

I have had lots of different photo display setups, but none have kept me happy in all areas such as pleasing to look at as well as easy to transport and set up and stay looking nice.

Would love to see even more if anyone has them.

Thanks again!

Liz M.

Another thought just popped into my head at the mention of Plexiglass......how about if you put plexiglass over the top of your table & your pictures under the glass....between the plexiglass & the table, that way they are protected........? Or they make things called desk protectors or something, I have one at my desk at work...it covers the top of my desk & I slip my big calendar under it to protect it.

Just a thought.... although, I love the way Erica's pictures look.......very cool.

Latest posts

Back