dispersing my little herd of 2

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
i am recovering from very serious back surgery. i'm doing well, feel so much better but my surgeon has told me that while my surgery was 100% successful, if i mess up my back again, there will not be anything left to fix. i have come to the realization that i must make some lifestyle changes, some good (i have quit smoking) and some not so good.

while i don't have a problem with feeding my mini boys and it doesn't take a lot of effort to toss hay over the fence into the feeder, i have been given lifelong restrictions that prevent me from being able to care for my mini boys like they need. i have to depend on others to come out here every few days to clean up after them. being on a small dry lot, manure piles up pretty quickly. i have no one to hire to do this regularly. grooming the minis is too much of a challenge and even working with the farrier puts me into positions i simply cannot/should not be in.

last week, i contacted "Pony Pals". they have been in business for 10 years. they have several shetlands that they take to various places where they set up a little round pen and give pony rides. i have seen them often and have stood at the fence to watch. they take excellent care of their ponies, they are all sleek and healthy. i called to see if they would be interested in my boys and their easy entry cart/harness. they came out friday morning to meet red and rebel and immediately fell in love with them. they will be here next weekend to take them to their new home. they will not be used for riding, obviously, because they are too small. however, they have been in the process of building a special place on their farm for a petting zoo, which red and rebel will be the star attractions of along with a couple of pygmy goats and a pot belly pig. they will also be taking them, along with a sizable round pen, and setting up their little petting zoo next to where they set up their pony rides. they also do kids birthday parties and i have seen their ponies in parades pulling little wagons and they have contracts at all of the local county fairs.

i can't begin to tell you how excited i am to have my boys going to such a great place, close to home so i can visit them any time i want to and best of all, they will be going TOGETHER! it is more than i could have hoped for! while i will miss them, they will only be 30 minutes away. the people are very nice and they have also agreed to sign a contract that if, for whatever reason, they cannot keep the boys in the future, they will be returned to me.

red and rebel love attention! i think they will be very happy with their new jobs!!
default_aktion033.gif

So sorry to hear about your surgery but hope you continue to feel better
default_smile.png

And I am also glad that you found such a nice home for your boys where you can visit them too.

So sorry you have to say good bye to your little guys- that really sucks.. but I am glad you have found a suitable place for them, and something close by perhaps where you can visit. I hope you continue to heal and get better!

awww Charlene, I am soo sorry to hear you had to do that....I know that is not an easy decision...but glad that you were able to make that decision too, for the welfare of the horses....

((((hugs)))) my friend, and I hope you pop in here every once and a while to let us know how you are doing!! I WILL be back to visit you!!
default_yes.gif

~kathryn

thanks, everybody. yeah, kathryn, it makes me sad but in a way it also makes me so happy that others (especially lil kids) will get so much joy from red and rebel. they have given ME so much over the years, i think it will be lots of fun for them to get the attention they need but i have not been able to give them for so long.

looking forward VERY much to having you visit marshmallow acres!! i will definitely pop in and keep in touch!
default_smile.png

Charlene I'm so very sorry to hear that you've had health problems that dictate letting your little ones go. I've been thinking that I seriously need to consider doing the same thing. I really believe the key to actually being able to let go depends on knowing they will be going to a great home. I know making that decision would be a whole lot easier for me if I knew where they were going. Please come back and let us know how you're doing from time to time. While I'm not here nearly as often as I used to be I still check in every now and then to see what everyone is up to. Take care of yourself my friend!

Glad to hear the boys will be having a full life and staying today. That's real good. Sorry you had to make this decision tho. Take care of yourself! Wish I was closer to help out.

I'm sure it breaks your heart to make this tough choice, but it does sound like you have found a really great solution.

I wish you and them well in your new lives going forward!

Latest posts

Back