Dish head??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
How do you explain what a "dish head" means. Someone told me a dish head was an arabian head. Any thoughts???

Yes, in Arabs it is charecterestic called a Jibbah.

A dishy head is a sign of refinement, along with fine bones and long neck.

A dished head has a bump in the forehead, and turns concave between the eyes, and to the nose.

I would love to post pics but my computer is being stupid.

Here's one of my mares, Harrells Rowdys Reflection of Hope, a daughter of Cross Countrys Rowdys Reflection. I feel Hope shows a good example of a nicely dished head -- as do so many of Reflection's offspring:

Hope%20Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20212.jpg

HOPE%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20037%20MARES.jpg

And Hope's 2008 colt, Whinny For Me's Dun Buckin Around ("Ducky") has an even prettier head I think:

Ducky%20095%20040508.jpg
Ducky%20051408.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally don't like the term, too many times people confuse "dish" with "dome"..... I call it..... good conformation! I prefer the term chiseled. I think the best way to describe it is to show them a picture!

Yes, in Arabs it is charecterestic called a Jibbah. A dishy head is a sign of refinement, along with fine bones and long neck.

A dished head has a bump in the forehead, and turns concave between the eyes, and to the nose.

I would love to post pics but my computer is being stupid.
A bump in the forehead can also be a dwarfism characteristic, i prefer to stay away from it as many others do. A "bump" on the forehead is not a trait i look for, nor to me makes a dishy head. A dishy head is not a sure sign of refinement all threw the body, i had a very very pretty dishy headed gelding here years ago but he had more depth to his bones and body, pretty headed but a heavier body frame to him. A dishy head also has nothing to do with nor effects neck length.

I like a PRETTY head, i dont know if you would call it dishy but pretty and correct is what i look for in the head. Short distance between eyes and muzzle, large jawl, tiny muzzle, large eyes, pretty tear drop arabian style nostrils (not the dwarfy nostrils), just a slight concave look below the eyes, well set short cuppy tippy ears. NO bumps on the forehead.

So i guess if i was to explaine what I consider dish (we all consider "dish" to be something different), i would say a pretty jawl and slight concave look below the eyes with a refined muzzle.

Here is i think my best example of a dishy head in the bunch ..

15NarksEarlyAug08.jpg

How do you explain what a "dish head" means. Someone told me a dish head was an arabian head. Any thoughts???

Dare I tell you what a FORMER vet of our's said to describe a "dished head"???

He said "Oh! Interesting! Your little one looks like a truck just ran over its snout and made his forehead look big!"
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png

pretty tear drop arabian style nostrils (not the dwarfy nostrils),
Leeana,

I think I know what you mean by this, but could you expand on what you mean or post pictures of the two types? thanks!
default_saludando.gif

Parmela your avatar provides a perfect example of a slightly dished head.

It must slope down from the forehead, which does not have to bulge or be anything but a normal forehead, and make the face slightly concave, and must end by turning back up towards the nostrils so that the head "dishes" inwards, hence the term,( which is as old as the Arabian Horse and always used in that breed, so I am not likely to stop now,) the nostrils should not be affected by the dish, and should sit normally on the head. None of this should make the head look abnormal or even different, just pretty!! (I put that bit in as there is one Arab mare whose head is totally GROTESQUE and to find her just Google this!) Using the term "Arab" or "Araby" is misleading, as the closest we have got so far is horses that look like tiny Welsh Sec A, so "Dished" or just "Pretty" (like Pamela's guy) I think are more suitable.

I prefer the term chiseled.
Me too
default_smile.png
My favorite part of a nice head isn't actually what most call the "dish", but the nostrils. I love the muzzle to be tee-tiny and the nostrils to tip up / flare just a bit and look like what you said -- chiseled
default_yes.gif

Yes, it can be a dwarf sign and it is not to be confused with a dish. But when I say bump, its what I see. When I look at the mares posted I dont see a dwarf head, I see a bump on forehead and dished from there.

Picked this up somewhere over the years (sorry don't know where or who the original author is), but I liked the comparision of the different 'types' of heads.

horsehead_types.jpg

Latest posts

Back