Discussions of pros/cons of proposed amendments...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

C.A.R.E.

C.A.R.E. would like to invite all AMHA members to join in discussions of pros and cons of the following proposed amendments to the Bylaws and Rules and Regulations that will be voted on at the 2010 AMHA Annual Meeting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[SIZE=14pt] [/SIZE]

2009 RULES & REGS RULE AMENDMENTS

IMPACT STATEMENTS

To be voted on at the 2009 Annual Meeting
[SIZE=12pt]April 22, 2009[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/size][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]If you do not see a proposal that you submitted, please contact Kristy Mackey at 817.783.5600, ext 307 or email [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt][email protected][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Note: All deletions will be strikethrough & changes will be indicated by Bold print. The number on the right side of the page is for identification purposes only.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Rules & Regs #185, Registration Numbers, page 48 #951[/SIZE]

Submitted by: Pam Pruitt

The Association will issue registration numbers in consecutive order, based upon the order in which the applications are processed by the Association.
,with the exception of horses previously registered with another registry which will keep their existing numbers preceded by the letters "TR" and the initials of the former registry.

Justification:

Delete as above. This policy has not been followed for years.

Breeding Requirements #192B-13, page 53 #952

Submitted by: Frank Lupton

Gelding
(or death) of the stallion will preclude the use of the frozen semen as of the date of gelding (or death).

Rules & Regs

DNA Testing #953

This standing rule passed at the Annual Meeting, but was not exactly what Pam requested. Please speak with Pam about this at the June Meeting.

The AMHA began DNA testing at UC Davis Lab in 1994. As of January 2009 we have over 22,000 horses DNA tested through the Davis Lab in California. Our data base with UC Davis has increased typically 4000 horse per year, with many of our horse's parent qualified. We are now able to ask the lab to put a parentage case in the "mix" for an unknown parentage case. One parent must be correct in order for this procedure to be used, but many times they are able to find a match in their database.

Since 1996 we have allowed DNA reports from other labs to be recorded with us by charging a $10.00 fee, and requiring a DNA form to be signed. The Davis Lab charges AMHA $10.00 for this recording service.

It is our desire to require everyone to use the Davis Lab from now on. We feel that since the majority of our DNA database is there we should exclusively use them in order to maintain integrity and keep our records accurate.

Pam Pruitt

Registration Department Supervisor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] [/SIZE]

2009 BYLAW RULE AMENDMENTS

IMPACT STATEMENTS

To be voted on at the 2010 Annual Meeting

April 14, 2009

If you do not see a proposal that you submitted, please contact Kristy Mackey at 817.783.5600, ext 307 or email
[email protected]

Note: All deletions will be
strikethrough & changes will be indicated by Bold print. The number on the right side of the page is for identification purposes only.

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

ARTICLE VI, Section 4, Voting, Page 13 #964

Submitted by: Mona Stone

Regular Members

All regular Members who have attained the age of nineteen (19) years as of thirty (30) days preceding such meeting and who have been Regular Members for at least six (6) months are entitled to vote on any matter before the Annual Meeting or any special meeting.
(Each regular member may vote in person by attending the Annual Meeting, or by mail-in ballot or by internet vote in the election of officers and on proposed amendments to the bylaws, show rules and rules and regulations.) Whenever in these bylaws the term member or members shall be used unless otherwise specified, it shall mean a member(s) in good standing having the right to vote.

Suggested implementation for the mail ballot voting:

Ballots will be mailed to all regular members containing the names of directors seeking an office on the Executive Committee, listing all offices they would consider serving. This would be President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Director At Large. All proposed amendments to bylaws, rules and regulations and show rules to be voted on at the Annual Meeting will include rationale statements of pros and cons for each amendment, and committee input. These ballots will be mailed no later than December 31, of each year. Members will return both ballots in the same envelope to accounting firm no later than January 15 prior to the Annual Meeting. Ballots will be handled in the same procedure as the handling of voting for directors. Members will submit a fee of $25.00 with their ballots to the accounting firm. (This fee of $25.00 is the same amount as the registration fee to attend the Annual Meeting to vote, and will help offset expense to AMHA for tabulation of votes.) If fee is not included with the ballot, the ballot will be an invalid vote.

Accounting firm will submit the results of the number of votes in favor and against on each of the amendments. Accounting firm will submit the results of the number of votes for candidates for each office in a separate envelope. The results will be submitted to the President no later than seven (7) days before the date of the Annual Meeting. The results of the tabulation of votes will NOT be opened until all votes of members present at the meeting have been tabulated for the election of each office and each amendment. The President will then open envelopes and tabulate total votes of members present and mail ballots. The results will be announced and officially recorded. Accounting firm and AMHA office will keep results of all mail ballots on file for one (1) year.

An Internet Web Cam service that allows member interaction will be hired for the purpose of allowing members to view the Annual Meeting by internet, hear all discussion on proposed amendments to bylaws and rules, and vote for or against all changes. The members will also vote for the each of the five officers that will serve as the Executive Committee. The Internet votes will be added to the votes of the members present at the meeting and the results will be final. The fee per member for viewing the Annual Meeting and voting will be $25.00.

(The AMHA has hired Internet Web Cam services for the World Show Sale and allowed interaction on monetary bids for horses from all over the world. The voting procedure for the Annual Meeting could be handled in a similar procedure.)

Rationale: AMHA is constantly looking for ways to increase membership. The opportunity to allow the members to take part in the decisions of the Association by voting by mail or internet ballot will encourage the increase in membership and will halt the steady loss of members and the decline in horse registrations that AMHA is now facing. The entire membership will have the opportunity to take part in the operations of their Association, thus making it a more "member friendly" organization.

Article VI, Section 4 ©

Quorum

At
DELETE (any meeting) ADD (the Annual Meeting) of the members of the Association a quorum to do business shall consist of the majority of the largest number of Regular members in good standing that have registered at such meeting ADD (to vote in person or by Internet Web Cam.)

Submitted in conjunction with #966

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

Article VII Section 4A, Regional Elections, Page 17 #965

Submitted by: Kristy Mackey

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt](A) Nominations[/SIZE]

The Regular Members of each region shall submit the names of those they wish to nominate for a Director to the President or to his designee on form and by date requested.
The appropriate Nomination Form will be published in the August/September Miniature Horse World or mailed to current members.

Rationale:

If we publish the Nomination Form in the MHW, we would save approximately $1600.00 per year. This amount includes copies, postage and cost to run copies and stuff envelopes by an outside service.

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Stats:[/SIZE]

Election # of Nomination Letters Mailed # of Members Responding

2007 2953 39

2008 2847 34
[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

Article IX, Section 4, Elections, Page 20 #966

Submitted by: Mona Stone

By two months No later than sixty (60) days prior to the February Annual Meeting each year, any eligible Director (including those to be seated) who wish to run for an office MUST submit a biographical sketch to the AMHA National office. Such information will be placed on the AMHA website and a copy placed in each member's packet at the Annual Meeting. Additionally, candidates may be nominated from the floor but will be required to present a biography at the meeting. All candidates should be prepared to answer questions from the floor regarding their qualifications Only those eligible Directors that submit a biographical sketch sixty (60) days prior to the Annual Meeting will be allowed to be a nominee for an office. At this time, Directors MUST declare what office or offices they will be a candidate for. Directors may declare to be a candidate for one or more offices in which they feel they are qualified to serve.

Nominations will only be accepted during the meeting in the case that there were no candidates declared for any specific office. Should that situation arise, nominations will be accepted from the members present at the Annual Meeting and those members registered to vote via Internet Web Cam. (This situation would prevent nominations from members submitting mail ballots.) Directors nominated at the meeting that did not submit a biographical sketch before the sixty (60) day deadline will be prepared to present one at the meeting. Votes of both the members present at the meeting and the votes cast by members on the Internet Web Cam will be counted together and the results will be announced for the winner of the office.

The Officers shall be
nominated from the floor elected by a majority of the votes cast at the Annual Meeting of the members, by ballot of members present, and members registered to vote on the Internet Web Cam. Provided however, that in the event but one person is nominated for an office the election may be by voice vote. In the event there are three (3) or more candidates for any office, and no candidate receives a majority of the votes cast, the nominee receiving the lowest number of votes shall be dropped from each ballot and there shall be run-offs until one nominee receives a majority of the votes cast.

Submitted in conjunction with #964

Article XI, Section 2, Closed Registry, Page 25 #967

Submitted by Kate Beevers

"Hardship qualifications" to be defined by committee "kur" all hardship horses – this is allowed via "height and other qualifications"

Article XI, Sect 2 Closed Registry, Page 25

"Specifically report of physical inspection of height and any other HARDSHIP registry qualifications"

Rationale:

My interest is to set a high standard for hardship horses – That there are "kur'd" as warmbloods are to meet more than just height – that they be a good quality addition to the gene pool of AMHA.

If you don't understand this please email me. I presented a ratio based standard several years ago and unfortunately sent in my original data. I never heard back and my original research material was never returned and the office claimed it was lost.

Loosely this "kur" is based on "Champion Horses" of the last 3-5. So hardship horses aren't dumpy little ponies – This will also address the distress expressed by the international committee RE: hard shipping short ponies.

I would appreciate correspondence from the Rules & Regs committee chair.

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

Article XI, Sect 2, Closed Registry, Page 25 #968

Submitted by Libby Rosen

The registry and stud book of The American Miniature Horse Association shall be closed effective December 31, 2013, after which all newly registered horses shall consist only of those horses with previously registered AMHA sire and dams, with the exception of
Heritage registered horses.

Add new Section below and renumber accordingly:

Article XI - Registry and Stud Book

Section 5, Heritage Registration

Horses with one currently registered AMHA parent and one parent whose papers have been surrendered for being oversized may be registered if the following conditions have been met; (1) Both parents have been DNA'd. (2) The horse is parent qualified. (3) The horse is over (60) months of age. (4) The horse is thirty-four (34) inches or less in height. (5) Payment of a non-refundable inspection fee when accompanied by a report of the physical inspection of height and any other registry qualifications conducted by a Past or Present Regional Director. The report shall be accomplished by arrangement between the owner and the inspector at the owner's expense. The Registration Fee shall be three (3) times the regular mature mare fee; five (5) times the regular mature stallion fee; and three (3) times the regular mature gelding fee.

Justification:

These horses are offspring with 100% known AMHA breeding. If they have met the mature height requirement we should welcome them. They aren't' like Hardship horses that we know nothing about. We know the height of their ancestors.

This will allow members who follow our rules to be rewarded. Right now we know we have small horses who produce some oversized offspring. We also know that some of those oversized offspring never produce anything over 34".

This will encourage people to DNA their horses adding to our genetic base.

By charging a moderate increase in fees which should only cover office costs, we will not be punishing our members who are honest about the size of their horses.

Article XI, Sect 4, Permanent Registration, Page 25 #969

Permanent certificates of registration shall be issued to qualified Miniature Horses who have attained the actual age of five (5) years, and measures thirty-four (34) inches or less in height, measured at the base of the last hairs of the mane while standing squarely on a level surface, and have met all the requirements of the Association.
All horses going permanent will do so after achieving the required age and being measured by an AMHA certified measurer.

We would like to call attention to the proposals submitted by Mona Stone on behalf of C.A.R.E. that would allow every member of AMHA to have a voice in making decisions in the Association by mail or internet voting, without having to attend the Annual Meeting. These proposals are numbers 964 and 966.

The proposals will put the decisions that are made for our Association in the hands of the 12,000 members of AMHA, and no longer allow decisions to be made by 50 or 100 members that attend the Annual Meeting.

AMHA members we welcome your opinions.

Horses with one currently registered AMHA parent and one parent whose papers have been surrendered for being oversized may be registered if the following conditions have been met; (1) Both parents have been DNA'd. (2) The horse is parent qualified. (3) The horse is over (60) months of age. (4) The horse is thirty-four (34) inches or less in height. (5) Payment of a non-refundable inspection fee when accompanied by a report of the physical inspection of height and any other registry qualifications conducted by a Past or Present Regional Director. The report shall be accomplished by arrangement between the owner and the inspector at the owner's expense. The Registration Fee shall be three (3) times the regular mature mare fee; five (5) times the regular mature stallion fee; and three (3) times the regular mature gelding fee.
What are the fees for a mature stallion, mare, and gelding?

Permanent certificates of registration shall be issued to qualified Miniature Horses who have attained the actual age of five (5) years, and measures thirty-four (34) inches or less in height, measured at the base of the last hairs of the mane while standing squarely on a level surface, and have met all the requirements of the Association. All horses going permanent will do so after achieving the required age and being measured by an AMHA certified measurer.
How is an AMHA certified measure going to measure every single horse that comes permanent? IF you (you being generic) think I am going to load up my trailer (this could be 1 horse or 5, who knows) and go to an AMHA show or where ever just to have one of my AMHA horses measured for permanent status or pay to have an certified measurer come here to measure a horse every single time one comes of age, your (you again generic) are sadly mistaken. I will sell off every single AMHA horse I have, I don't need any additional expense as I'm sure plenty of others don't either.

Permanent certificates of registration shall be issued to qualified Miniature Horses who have attained the actual age of five (5) years, and measures thirty-four (34) inches or less in height, measured at the base of the last hairs of the mane while standing squarely on a level surface, and have met all the requirements of the Association. All horses going permanent will do so after achieving the required age and being measured by an AMHA certified measurer.
How is an AMHA certified measure going to measure every single horse that comes permanent? IF you (you being generic) think I am going to load up my trailer (this could be 1 horse or 5, who knows) and go to an AMHA show or where ever just to have one of my AMHA horses measured for permanent status or pay to have an certified measurer come here to measure a horse every single time one comes of age, your (you again generic) are sadly mistaken. I will sell off every single AMHA horse I have, I don't need any additional expense as I'm sure plenty of others don't either.
I agree with you 100%.....I really doubt that this will even come close to passing.

Sue

Edited to add: I wouldn't sell any of them....they are all reg. AMHA & AMHR, so we would just go all AMHR. No problem. But I still really, really doubt this will pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you 100%.....I really doubt that this will even come close to passing.

Sue

As do I!
default_yes.gif

Just curious how this will be done if the sire or dam never were DNA'd as they outgrew there papers before turning 5. I have a few mares, one outgrew her AMHA papers(Cherokee Stables Ohso Dandy) so I could DNA her as I own her and the stallion she would foal by but I have a 30.75" AMHR 4 year old mare whose sire is Blue Ridge Gallager who is A/R and more than likely DNA'd but her dam is FF's Nanny Bear who outgrew her AMHA papers and I don't think she is DNA'd and I don't know who owns her or if she is even still alive. Risquefishers Winter Sky shows right on her AMHR papers that her sire and dam were both out of AMHA stock. I also have a mare whose sire is AMHA and dam is sired by a AMHA horse but her dam not sure(Kamelot's T.A. Gidget). I also have a filly whose sire is AMHA but doubt dam is(Crossley-Hunter Tiny's Lady Sarah) but she has AMHA horses on her dams side. I would register these 3 if I could at the fees mentioned above no problem. I think if one parent is AMHA then they should be allowed to be registered AMHA.

All horses going permanent will do so after achieving the required age and being measured by an AMHA certified measurer.

Sorry l just found this so very funny when l read it l mean really funny...no offense to the person who submitted it. l fully understand the reasoning behind the thought just can't seem to come to grips with how it would work in practice....

Sorry l just found this so very funny when l read it l mean really funny...no offense to the person who submitted it. l fully understand the reasoning behind the thought just can't seem to come to grips with how it would work in practice....

I completly agree and this is exactly why I asked what makes some people feel AMHA is the only "true" miniature horse when we all know there is oversize horses sitting in peoples pastures being bred with offspring being registered in both registries

I do appreciate though the intent behind this proposal and someone seeing the issue and wanting to fix it while this might not be the answer (who knows voting has yet to happen) I do think the only way to find an answer is to keep tossing ideas out there - can not blame anyone for trying to do just that!

There is no feasible way short of going on peoples integrity to ensure the horses are truly the height they claim them to be

I could not help but chuckle myself. So how is AMHA going to put a "certified measurer" in every area??? Otherwise they are not going to get many horses going "permanent" and a lot of revenue for that will be lost.....

I live up in Northern Ontario. The AMHA does not even have any shows in Ontario period. So how am I to get my horses measured.At that kind of expense I would just stay with the AMHR.

KenBen

Regular Members
Ballots will be mailed to all regular members containing the names of directors seeking an office on the Executive Committee, listing all offices they would consider serving. This would be President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Director At Large. All proposed amendments to bylaws, rules and regulations and show rules to be voted on at the Annual Meeting will include rationale statements of pros and cons for each amendment, and committee input. These ballots will be mailed no later than December 31, of each year. Members will return both ballots in the same envelope to accounting firm no later than January 15 prior to the Annual Meeting. Ballots will be handled in the same procedure as the handling of voting for directors. Members will submit a fee of $25.00 with their ballots to the accounting firm. (This fee of $25.00 is the same amount as the registration fee to attend the Annual Meeting to vote, and will help offset expense to AMHA for tabulation of votes.) If fee is not included with the ballot, the ballot will be an invalid vote.

Accounting firm will submit the results of the number of votes in favor and against on each of the amendments. Accounting firm will submit the results of the number of votes for candidates for each office in a separate envelope. The results will be submitted to the President no later than seven (7) days before the date of the Annual Meeting. The results of the tabulation of votes will NOT be opened until all votes of members present at the meeting have been tabulated for the election of each office and each amendment. The President will then open envelopes and tabulate total votes of members present and mail ballots. The results will be announced and officially recorded. Accounting firm and AMHA office will keep results of all mail ballots on file for one (1) year.

An Internet Web Cam service that allows member interaction will be hired for the purpose of allowing members to view the Annual Meeting by internet, hear all discussion on proposed amendments to bylaws and rules, and vote for or against all changes. The members will also vote for the each of the five officers that will serve as the Executive Committee. The Internet votes will be added to the votes of the members present at the meeting and the results will be final. The fee per member for viewing the Annual Meeting and voting will be $25.00.

(The AMHA has hired Internet Web Cam services for the World Show Sale and allowed interaction on monetary bids for horses from all over the world. The voting procedure for the Annual Meeting could be handled in a similar procedure.)

Rationale: AMHA is constantly looking for ways to increase membership. The opportunity to allow the members to take part in the decisions of the Association by voting by mail or internet ballot will encourage the increase in membership and will halt the steady loss of members and the decline in horse registrations that AMHA is now facing. The entire membership will have the opportunity to take part in the operations of their Association, thus making it a more "member friendly" organization.
My concern with this is, if we vote by mail in ballot, how do we prevent people from mailing in a ballot and attending the meeting and voting there too?

Also, what if we mail in a ballot, but then watch the meeting on the web, and hear someone bring upa point we had not thought about, and then change our mind and want to change our vote?

Sue

As do I!
default_yes.gif
Me too!!!

It's not "kur" A kur is a freestyle dressage test set to music.

The word you're looking for is "keuring", and it's a noun. A horse goes to a keuring to be inspected for breeding approval. "Keur'd" is slang. A horse does not get kur'd, they get inspected/presented/graded/liscensed/approved/tested (terms vary depending on sex of horse and studbook in question)

Versatility Training, thank you for your questions about our proposal for mail ballot.

Your concern about a member voting by mail ballot and attending the meeting and voting again in person can be easily solved. Our thoughts would be that each member that votes by mail ballot must include their individual membership number for a valid vote. Each vote cast for amendments and officers by members in attendance at the meeting would be by written ballot that must include their membership number. When the votes are counted the membership numbers would be cross-checked with a master list to make sure no member voted more than one time. A mail ballot vote would be taken as the official vote in all cases. The counting and verifying votes can be done in a short time considering the very small number of members that attend the Annual Meetings.

In the case of webcast voting on the internet, the same procedure would be used requiring the member to cast their votes using their membership number.

Your question about a member that might want to change their mail ballot vote after they hear some one bring up a point they had not thought of, is a chance a person will have to take if they choose to vote by mail ballot. Hopefully with the bylaw requirement to publish all proposals to be voted on, and all directors to declare their intent to run for office and furnish their bios 60 days before the meeting, members will do their own research before voting.

The issue of not being able to change a vote after you submit one is an issue everyone in the U.S.A. has had to live with for a long time. An example is when choosing to vote early or by absentee ballot for the U S President. You have to do your research, because you cannot change your mind once you have cast your early vote. This same example can be used in AMHA voting.

Our group has been working on the proposals for a full membership vote for over a year. We have tried to cover all methods of implementation that will be needed before they go to the membership for a vote. Questions members have submitted have helped us very much. It is our desire to follow the rules and stop bylaw and rule changes from being voted on before they have been throughly investigated and a definite plan for implementation is in place.

We all know the problems that occurred when the bylaw to change the measurement of AMHA horses to the base of the withers was passed by a small group of members at the 2008 Annual Meeting. There was absolutely no plan for implementation made when the bylaw was passed.

We know the problems that we have now when the bylaw was passed by about 64 members at the 2009 Annual Meeting to change the age for permanent registration from 5 years to 3 years. We are also aware of the problems and expense that occurred when a motion to pass a Standing Rule to implement the bylaw this year. The membership was told it would bring in $50,000 in revenue during 2009. The membership passed the Standing Rule. No one at the Annual Meeting including the paid parliamentarian reported that a Standing Rule cannot be entertained if it is in conflict with our bylaws.

Instead of making money for AMHA, it has cost money for legal fees and a Board Teleconference call to rescind the Standing Rule. The Board still faces many problems with the implementation of this bylaw. The members are faced with bringing all of their 3, 4, and 5 year old horses permanent in 2010. This will place quite a financial hardship on a lot of members.

The minutes of the February 28, 2009, Board Teleconference meeting states that per AMHA legal council we could issue coupons which would eliminate late fees. A panel was formed to investigate all aspects of implementing the rule. WHY was a panel not formed to investigate implementation before the amendment was voted on. WHY were the required rules of the Flow Chart ignored? WHY did the Board vote to send an amendment for a membership vote to the Annual Meeting to change the permanent registration age from 5 to 3 years before the amendment was even written? (See minutes of the June 14, 2008, Board meeting, page 12.)

Another problem that will occur will be revenue lost to AMHA for late fees from temp to perm registrations if the late fees are eliminated. We have corresponded with the President and reminded him that the Board of Directors does not have the power to issue coupons or eliminate the late registration fees. Only the membership can set and change registration fees. (See bylaw Article V, Section 3, A) The most important issue of concern to the change to a permanent registration age of 3 years is that horses can and do grow after three years, and will lead to more oversized horses holding AMHA papers that will damage the integrity and credibility of our registry.

I know this is more than you probably wanted to know when you asked your questions, but we wanted to explain why we have been so careful in writing our proposals and investigating the method of implementation before a membership vote is allowed.

We strongly believe it is time that the entire membership of 12,000 has a voice in the Association's decisions. Only 79 members were present to vote for the election of the 2009 Executive Committee. It took only 40 votes for a majority. I think we can all agree that certainly needs to change.

Again thank you for your questions, and please post any suggestions you might have to help make our proposals successful

C.A.R.E.

Are they CRAZY? Do they realize how many horses will never go perm now?

I think they're shooting themselves in the foot here...

Well, I won't sell off my AMHA horses- especially since they are all AMHR....
default_biggrin.png
But I'd never buy another AMHA only horse with temp papers.

Lucy

Well it might add a little extra expense but at least 98% of us see a vet at least once a year, if a Vet certificate for height verification as with the stallion inspection, you know that paper from the vet that states they have all of their equipment, that wouldn't be too complicated. I could see that, but if Only an Official measurer could do it, it wouldn't make sense and I for one would not support the AMHA in doing so. If the vets were allowed, then we could schedule it when we do our routine stuff and it wouldn't take much time/money that way. But the way its worded just isn't feasible.

Karen

I have transfered two AMHR horses to AMHA in the past. It required my driving six hours round trip to a past director (no director that close) and having them measure the horses.

This year I have five (two stallions and three mares) that are going permanent. The thought of somehow moving two STALLIONS and three mares to a director or past director so they can measure them or paying for them to spend the day coming here would simply not work.

My veterinarian would be clueless on doing a height on a miniature. That is just not taught in vet school.

While our current system is far from perfect, selling the horses and showing the horses does weed out some taller horses.

I do like the idea of Heritage stock. We DNA all our horses so It would not be an issue for us.

Lucy, after I wrote that I got thinking why would I sell them all off since they all have AMHR papers as well? LOL

The ones I have would stay but I wouldn't do another thing with AMHA as far as stallion reports, registration, etc. And I most certainly wouldn't buy another AMHA horse.

Also...

What is the current mature stallion, mare, and gelding fee now?

No way no how would I consider any measurement a vet did on a miniature horse in any way accurate- it is such a ridiculous way of measuring anyway (a whole other can of worms for both registries) but I can assure you my vets here would not care to learn or know how to accurately measure a mini

[/b]"Hardship qualifications" to be defined by committee "kur" all hardship horses – this is allowed via "height and other qualifications"

"Specifically report of physical inspection of height and any other HARDSHIP registry qualifications"

Rationale:

My interest is to set a high standard for hardship horses – That there are "kur'd" as warmbloods are to meet more than just height – that they be a good quality addition to the gene pool of AMHA.

If you don't understand this please email me. I presented a ratio based standard several years ago and unfortunately sent in my original data. I never heard back and my original research material was never returned and the office claimed it was lost.

Loosely this "kur" is based on "Champion Horses" of the last 3-5. So hardship horses aren't dumpy little ponies – This will also address the distress expressed by the international committee RE: hard shipping short ponies.

I would appreciate correspondence from the Rules & Regs committee chair.

In regards to this, Im not sure I see the point, if the registry will be closed in 2013 anyway...Seems it would be a waste of time and money to put this in effect...

Article XI, Sect 4, Permanent Registration, Page 25 #969

Like many others, I think this isnt feasible....sounds good in theory, but as others have said, I think many people would forego permanent registration if this rule is passed. I do think the idea of a horse being "officially" measured is great though. What if the registry did something such as allowing all horses to be permanent at their fifth (or third if its changed to that) birthday, but someone can have the option of having their horse(s) "officially" measured by an AMHA certified measurer, and it could be put on the papers they were measured in this way? This way, all horses can be brought permanent (if they stay under the required height). It may add value to those "officially" measured, however. For example, if I was buying a horse from across the country and couldnt see it in person, if it has papers that say it is officially 32.50", I would be more trusting than another horse that is permanent but isnt "officially" the height the seller says it is. Horses could be measured at shows, people could take them to a measurer, or maybe a measurer could travel in their state or region sometimes to measure horses. I would be willing to pay and extra bit (say possibly in the neighborhood of $10 per horse) when bringing the horse permanent to have the papers list it as officially the height it is registered as. My thought of a downside on this right now would be if someone would try to bribe the measurer to register their horse at a different height. For example, they have a drop dead gorgeous stallion that at five years old is 34.50", I could see where someone would really want this horse to not lose his AMHA papers and maybe see what they could do to keep them...

[/b]"Hardship qualifications" to be defined by committee "kur" all hardship horses – this is allowed via "height and other qualifications"

Rationale:

I get where you are going with this however harshipping ends in a few years and without insuring any registered AMHA horse has been or met any standards short of height (and going on someones word on that one) it will not really help out the gene pool at all IMO

Latest posts

Back