Discussion topic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess P

Reaction score
I am doing a cultural paper for my english class and I chose the topic "The educational curriculum of Southern states and it's effects on the country's workforce."

When I went to Kentucky for FFA national convention I met many people from different states. I only found a couple of people who knew where New Hampshire was. Some people thought it was a city in the state of New England, some thought it was in Canada, I had to use my hands as a map, telling where their state was and where New Hampshire is compared to that. It was shocking, three times had my school system have to learn where ever state is, what their capitals were, as well as large rivers, lakes, mountains and other geographical landmarks were.

I was wondering what your take is on the topic. I know that some of the Southern states are poor, which may be a reason for the less in-depth curriculum.

I do not want any flames, just what you think.

In the school systems up here George Washington was a traitor. I will not hesitate to say that Canadian students know more about the U.S. than U.S. students know about Canada. The U.S. school systems are probably more active on subjects more relative to their own geographical areas than the entire "Americas."

I am from the south and I had to learn states and capitals. We memorized the states in alphabetical order, what their capital was, and where they were located. I think each state has good school systems and poor school systems. I don't think it has to do with northern or southern states.

Amanda

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother lives in Southern GA and they opted to homeschool their children because they were not happy with the level of education where they are.

I grew up in Florida and we had to learn States and Capitals too - but don't ask me know what all the capitals are I don't think I would do well
wacko.gif

Hi Y'all,

I am a secondary teacher in North Mississippi. I teach Biology I, Physics, Chemistry, and Anatomy and Physiology, grades 9 - 12.. I can only speak for our school, but we have made great strides in the last 5 years or so in getting out of our "backward" stereotype. Of course it takes time for this to "filter up" so that others see it in the adults that our students become and we are just one tiny school, but I feel like we are trying to better ourselves.

Mississippi ranks lowest in teacher salaries. We lose many good teachers to larger, more affluent states because of this.

Mississippi, and several of the other southern states are way up there in the teen pregnancy department, too. SAD.

Our school is home to about 750 students, grades K - 12. We have consistently raised test scores both at the elementary and secondary levels. We have a principal that drives us to success and is very involved and always willing to help out.

The point I am getting at is this: Yes, there are good schools and bad schools. Southern states are trying to overcome poverty and apathy at home, not in the school districts, really. Schools as a general rule have enough funds to operate, not extra funds by any means, but the families that we deal with in poor areas don't give the children the encouragement that they need. Some can't even provide a decent meal, and some, believe it or not, don't even seem to care that much.

I thank God every day that He has blessed me and my family and given us the opportunity to succeed that so many of my students don't have.

Poverty is part of the problem for some, poor management is another problem for others, but there are some GREAT schools here in the south. I hope that our reputation changes over the next few years!

Stacye

BTW I have in my "former students" portfolio (at least the ones I know of)

3 MDs

5 Nurses

1 Optometrist

1 Vet

1 NFL team manager

Countless successes at other things!

God bless you all!

I was raised in Connecticut attended Catholic schools and learned Geography very early on. I do know where New Hampsire is as well as Maine, Vermont, and Massachsettes where my summer house on Cape Cod was in Dennis. By the time I was ten years old, I could also find my way around most of New York City by myself if I had to, but that doesn't mean that the South is ignorant like most people would like to believe.

My boys began school in Florida and in first grade besides learning the regular ABC's they also learned French, signed for the deaf, and by second grade did math that the schools in Tennessee were teaching in the 4th and 5th grades. So, when they arrived here, they were way above scholastically where the elementary schools were here and had to get a few adjustments in their schedule changed. They had many other school activities available in Florida such as learning martial arts, fencing, socceer, none of which are avaiable here.

We live in a very poor county. Text books are outdated, teachers not accredited and don't always have to be, you name it. The thick accent on some of the teachers and slang used by them only complicates matters. The diction on some of the kids is so bad but goes uncorrected because the teachers use it too. The teachers here are the lowest paid in the entire state too but some of the hardest and most devoted workers I've ever seen, trying to make a success out of kids that come from nothing. But make no mistake, people here are not as dumb as you'd like to think. They are very rich and wealthy in many other ways and can put a lot of people to shame that have their fancy so called book leaarning knowledge. I really hate the "dumb Southerners" routine.

This end of Tennesse is poor and hasn't had a lot of help until recently when they finally implicated the State Lottery that is funding many wonderful programs here now. Teachers have a better chance now and finally are beginning to get paid what they are worth. The students facilites and text books are updated and computers are state of the art in most places here now. We finally have the help that was badly needed. There are HOPE scholorships now available to anyone now that wants to attend college. So, yes, we may be a little behind but we are surely catching up. And my boys also know where New Hampshire is. I think. Jerry's from Kentucky, an old farm boy. He said to tell you he doesn't know where it is (someplace up north he guesses) and doesn't care unless it affects his year end taxes.
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back