Disconnected Socks Sign of Pinto Blood?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tab

Reaction score
I was going through pics and noticed Lexington's socks. Could his disconnected socks be a sign that he is a pinto producer, or must he have white on his body? His sire was a pinto whose sire was a pinto. His son is a pinto, but that is because his dam is a pinto. I love this boy. My Lexiepoo. Is it normal for a solid horse to have disconnected socks?

IMG_2433_zpsdd88a17f.jpg

Don't know about the disconnected socks...but even if he had only regular socks, since he has a pinto parent, I would say there would be a good chance he can sire pinto.

I cannot post the pix from my phone but if I get on the PC later I can show you a stallion with white on the legs--no white anywhere else--and then I can show you the loud pinto that he sired, out of a solid mare.

Reactions: Tab
I would say most definitely he looks pinto to me. I would have him color tested to know for sure. Have you ever noticed any "spotting" on his penis? I had what I thought was a solid bay with socks stallion. I noticed he had pinto spotting on his penis, and had him color tested. Sure enough, he was tobiano! These are photos of him.

bayescapade2-May-20-06.jpg

be3.jpg

be6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How cool is that. Thank you both! Joe has the smallest white spot and some roaning, but always thought he was solid. 3 out of his 4 offspring were pinto out of a solid mare. Oh, if I could get a chestnut pinto filly out of Niobe, by Lex this year. I have always wanted a chestnut pinto filly. I have never noticed spotting on Lex' penis, but there very well could be. I will check that. I really ought to color test. I think Joe is homozygous for silver. I'm glad I have at least 3 non silver in my herd
default_smile.png
Mona, I would have never guessed your guy was a tobi!! Thanks!

He is a minimal Tobiano. Those are not disconnected socks they are ermine marks and go with Tobiano very commonly- I always called them her "naughty spots" but I had a naughty little girl with them!

We have a very minimal pinto filly with those marks (I call them paw prints) on her pasterns and she tested homozygous for tobiano! I believe a forum member had a mini with just the socks that was also H/Z for tobiano. So yes, it is possible. Here is photo of our filly - her pinto comes from Rowdy.

Luna_5_22_1.jpg

With todays genetic testing it looks like any white markings (not appy or scars or roaning) on a horse are related to one or the other of the pinto patterns.

As far as the socks I have a mare I think I've shown on here before with little socks. She is homozygous for tobiano. No other white on her. She is on my web site. Reflections Paradigm. At the time the UK was developing the DNA test for tobiano this mare, her sire and dam were part of the study. The comment was that they had no idea that a horse so minimally marked would be tobiano. This mare's sire and dam were both blood tested homozygous for tobiano and the U of K thought that one of those tests would be proven incorrect. They DNA tested sire and dam and they proved to both be homozygous for tobi.

Paradigm's white markings on her feet are a sock, a partial sock, a heel and one solid foot. You have to look really close to see some of the white on her feet.

paradigm yearling small.JPG

So I would definitely think that pretty boy will test positive for tobiano. And I love his ermin spots! I have a chestnut pinto yearling filly who has them solid around all 4 feet so her feet are chestnut colored instead of white.

Yes, your boy is a minimal tobiano pinto. He can very likely sire foals with more white than he has out of solid mares. Pretty boy!

Thank you all. That sounds fabulous! I need to get around to color testing my herd. Beautiful examples, too!

Latest posts

Back