Disaster dates

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wade3504

Reaction score
My worst disaster date was a guy off of a dating site. He sounded great on the phone and then I met him in person. I wish we hadn't gone to dinner but had a date that was much shorter. To start with, he was late then when he got there he was suposed to call me but didn't. He then got upset when he found out I was parked right behind him. We go inside for dinner and he gets upset because I can't have shrimp. Well, if you want to end this date with me in the ER then by all means I will eat some shrimp (allergic). Then, he is not happy that I order my own dinner. I guess he wanted to order for me. He knew I had pets at the time. I had miniature horses, a dog, and two cats. He had said that he was an animal lover. That was a lie, He was a bird lover and that is the only animal he cared for. He had a dog at the time of the date but never planned on having another and he absolutely hated cats. He said if he were driving he's swerve out of the way to miss a frog but purposely run over a cat. Hello! I own two cats and you know it! I am thinking what happened to the person I talked to on the phone? Then he doesn't understand why I am not interested in cars, well, not really something I am interested in and never said I was. Well, the sun rises and sets on anything that has to do with cars, at least the more high powered hig price ones, yet he has a Saturn. He realizes during dinner that I am a glass half full kind of person and he tells me that he is a glas half empty kind of person. I this point I don't care anymore as this is our fist and last date and when he started with smart butt comments about things I started giving them back to him. When we leave he wouldn't tip the waiter as according to him the service was poor. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the service so I did and then we walked out. I thought he was on my right while walking out and slightly behind me. I am blind on that sie so I glance back and he's not there. I turn all the way around and he's checking out someone's Porshe in the parking lot. I move over that way and he starts walking. I figured he would cone to my car but no, he goes to his so I stop there. He tells me that he'll call me and I tell him that I don't think so. Don't bother. He was kind of shocked. A week later he emails me to let me know that he doesn't think we're a good match. Hunh???? I would think that me telling you not to bother calling me would give you that insight but I guess I was wrong and I told him so.

So, what was the worst date that you can remember?

I had a bad blind date. My mom's best friend set me up with her nephew. We went to an Italian restaurant and he wanted to order wine. I told him that was fine but I don't drink. I was only 18 and drinking age was 21. I ordered milk with my meal and he made fun of me the whole time. I couldn't wait to get home.

I had another one where my sister is trying to set me up with her friends brother. I did talk to him on the phone and the call was ended by him telling me I needed my butt spanked. I told him "and it won't be by you" and I hung up the phone. He tried a couple more times to call or come over and I was having nothing to do with that.

Now I am too fat and old to date. I did meet up with my ex 2 years ago. He wired my trailer lights and we went to dinner but a friend of mine came with us for dinner and she kind of kept us apart. It was a good thing because I really don't need his lies and the kind of trouble he brings around.

I guess I just make poor choices when it comes to men.

I've been on many "one timer" dates where we just didn't click...some I thought were just not "it", some the other person felt that way and sometimes it was just mutual...lol

But, the one date I had way back before I was even married to my husband really took the cake! I don't even remember where I met this guy (it was before internet), but he took me out to dinner at this really nice restaurant and honestly, I have a good date with him that evening...and we went back to my "place" (which was my parents' converted garage that I was living in at the time...I was like 19 or 20?) and we watched TV for awhile (REALLY!!) and he left. The next day I get a call from him at my work accusing me of STEALING his credit card, because he had it at dinner and then when he wanted to use it in the morning, he couldn't find it!! I was SOOO mad...what a jerk!! I don't know whatever happened to his CC, but he never called me again...thankfully!!

My "best" relationships have been with women I have met online...not sure why that is...because for sure there are real "winners" out there, too...I was married to a woman I met in an AOL poker room back in 1997 for almost 8 years. I am now married to a woman I met in an AOL chat room in 2008.
default_wub.png

(I know this thread is supposed to be about "worst" dates, but...even thru the worst, you can find the best.
default_wink.png
)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a few of those where you spend more time trying to figure out how to get out of the date instead of listening to the date.

I've always made sure that I have an escape route available just in case that first date turns out to be a disaster & I want out of them without being openly rude but a date like the one in the first post here would be one I would have had no problem with getting up and walking out half way through dinner. When the guy came out with that comment about deliberately swerving to run over a cat....I would have been out of there.

My escape route--the old emergency phone call a half hour into the date. Somebody calls you on your cell phone--if the date is going well it's just a brief, casual chat. If the date is a disaster--then the phone call is an emergency that forces me to say sorry, I have to leave. Works well.

On my 50th BD a friend took me out for dinner. He showed up late no big deal but he brought his dog. Hey I love dogs but on a first date. So we ate and he took me home and I asked him if he wanted to come in. His response was that he was tired. Excuse me but it was only 7pm. So much for a special BD. At least I won't forget it. Oh' he had on a pair of old sweatpants.

I used to be the queen of disaster dates... Two stand out in my brain as odd enough to share on this thread. One was a set up date from a friend. We had dinner over her house. She claimed he was a terrific guy and had the most amazing eyes and she just knew we would hit it off. Well, he looked more like Marty Feldman with the eyes, but not being a snob about looks I gave the date a try...He told a story about a dog getting into his garbage thinking it was funny when his 4 year old brought in his gun (unloaded) and asked him if he wanted to shoot the dog and then he brought out his redman chaw and began to spit into a string bean can at the table after supper. I left rather ubruptly after supper and my ex-friend thought I was so rude we never spoke again. I said sorry, I just couldn't get over the dog story with the kid and the gun. I guess there are some people that think if it is unloaded it is perfectly safe, but it sure did creep me out.

The other one was also a fix up by a friend. Her brother in law. He was wearing a dirty shirt and the un-attached waistband of his underwear was sticking up above his shorts and he told stories about his ex-girlfriend all night and said he had to pay a ton of money to her when he lost his temper and wrecked her house when she told him he was a cheap SOB.

I swear these two stories are true... I have more, these are just the top two that for awhile made me swear off dating.

A friend that was a councelor once said... Don't looking for your significant other... Go out and do the things you love to do. Chances are that you could very well find somebody else that loves to do what you enjoy... If you don't find somebody, you are still doing what you love to do and it won't matter so much if you don't find someone. I started just doing what I enjoyed and stopped looking. Horses, dogs, out with friends etc. all my favorite things...

A friend invited me out on a boat once and remembering I used to love boating with my dad I said yes. He also invited his cousin. I found out on this boating day his cousing was a dairy farmer. I said "How did a dairy farmer learn to water ski so well", he says "My amish friend taught me" LOL I found that so funny and I said , I need to hear this story for sure... I found out so much about him that day, he was so interesting and fun to talk to and he appreciated the little things in life and he loved country music and he and his family used to go to a local country theme park I had always wanted to go to...

At the end of the boating trip he invited me to go with his family to the country theme park... We had so much fun together, thats for sure
default_wub.png
Patient, kind, hard working and loves animals. My dream guy and he was cute to boot. The nicest guy I ever met and I got lucky enough that he loved me back.. We have been married 15 years this coming week and we have three kids 6 dogs, three horses and about 100 cows. Follow your dreams ladies and if you find somebody along the way, it is a bonus, but if you don't find somebody, you still are following your dreams. Kind of like that song... "I hope you dance"... Read the words to that song sometime...
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't sure if I should post this, but here goes. This is a true and very scary "almost" date story.

My mother told me about this "nice" guy at her work. He ended up calling me. He asked me to go to dinner on a friday night and I said that I would. BUT during the conversation he started to stutter and then said some things to me that made me rethink my decision. I called him back and cancelled. Something just told me to get out of this and fast. It wasn't so much the stuttering. It was the way he was talking. I was very young and just didn't feel right about it. I should never have said yes. This guy didn't take it well and was furious that I cancelled!

I was working the Saturday after the date was supposed to happen. I came in for a lunch break. I turned on the TV. The news was on. They were looking for a murder suspect! OMG!(That's not exactly what I said) This guys picture(and name) came on the screen that I was supposed to have gone out with the night before. They were looking for him in connection with a woman that they found behind his work that night.
default_new_shocked.gif

I consider myself blessed.

Ok, I've had my share of disaster dates - and my final lesson learned. If your gut feeling says it's wrong, then end it right then and there! I used to be polite and stick it out through the entire date. I finally reached the point that I'd just meet the guy for coffee and I'd know within a few minutes whether or not it was worth pursuing!Life is too short for bad dates!!!

Liz

Definitely listen to your gut. When I was in my late teens and working at a local craft store, this older (like in his 30's) car audio sales-guy came through my line at the register and handed me a little preprinted business card when he left. It said something cheesy about how my smile had made his day and he asked me out. The gesture should have been sweet but I had a bad feeling about this guy; how many normal 30 year olds ask out someone who looks like she's 16?? However all the older ladies there said he was a catch and I was crazy not to at least go on one date, etc., so I finally caved.

He was supposed to take me to dinner but he ended up taking me through the drivethrough of a Burger King (first warning sign) and as we're sitting there making awkward conversation and waiting for our order he asks perfectly nonchalantly "So are you a screamer?"
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked
default_new_shocked.gif
I was totally non-plussed and just sat there for a few moments looking pole-axed trying to figure out which creepy way he meant that.
default_wacko.png
He helpfully clarified that he meant was I a screamer or a moaner, as in what were my sexual preferences, and I stuttered something about how that was none of his business (remember, I was maybe 19) and mentally wrote a big fat checkmark next to "Oh HE-L-L no!" for this date. He took me back to his place where my car was parked and it turned out he lived in some woman's basement, had a bedroom covered with crucifixes, and yet wanted to know if I'd like to relax after dinner by climbing in the shower with a perfect stranger.
default_smileypuke.gif
I beat a fast and emphatic retreat and had to listen to several long voicemails over the next few weeks professing how I was hurting his feelings by not calling him back for a second date.
default_rolleyes.gif

That is almost my entire dating history, right there. I've had three real boyfriends, the first two of which I met in classes and knew well before we went out, and the third I met online and am still involved with on and off 13 years later. I had the date from you-know-where with the sales jerk, one blind date set up by a lady I met on a temp job who thought I might get along well with her nephew, and that's it. I'm so busy working with a group of older ladies in a call center where we never see other people and going to horse shows (not a lot of single guys there over the age of 17) that I haven't seen a new male face in probably 6 years! Guess I need to get out to the grocery store more often.
default_laugh.png

Leia

Latest posts

Back