Dilution rate

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weerunner

Reaction score
I ran out of the Mother Natures test strips and so have to use pool test strips. The Crayonbox site says to use 1:3 ratio, but other sites say to use 1:6 ratio. I know that hardness would definitely be affected by the dilution rate so I want to make sure I get the right one. Anyone else know what is right? Using a dilution of 1:6 my mare is testing at ~500 hardness but only about 7.8 ph. That doesn't seem right so maybe the 1:6 is not right. Anyone?

1:3 dilution rate is what normally is used. 1 cc of mares milk to 3 cc of distilled water.

Just wanted to add that make sure you are using fresh distilled water and pool test strips. The strips you may have used last year can give you false readings.

Last edited by a moderator:
The actual solution dilution is the same 1:3 & 1:6, so you can do it either way and get the same results, I "tested" it a few times myself just to be sure and I got the exact same results on the strips.

I had read both 6:1 and 3:1. I went through a whole container of strips from K-Mart beginning testing at day 300. Right before I ran out the hardness was showing a slight change. Ph was so high off the charts it did not matter. I purchased a new batch at supply store for hot tubs and swimming pools. Hardness graph on them was to reach a burnt orange/sienna color. The K-mart ones were in the blueish/purplish range. The morning of the day she foaled the new (more expensive) strips were showing hardness for sure had changed and was above 300. The ph on both types should have been a light orange when dropped to the "close" stage. Although it was showing some changes near the foaling time it was still pink, although light pink. Dried to the desired shade of orange but the instuctions I read said check immediately or check in 15 seconds. I have faith that the strips will indicate that the time is drawing closer but I learned that the mare's behavior is "key" once you start seeing any cnanges in testing on the strips. yellowhouseranch.com has a good page about testing strips as well.

Latest posts

Back