Digital cameras

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgerunner

Reaction score
My camera finally died last week, and I'm trying to decide what to buy. Thought I'd see what other mini folks are using. I've heard of people being able to capture frames from video, and I'd love to be able to do that! Maybe I'd finally be able to get decent pix of my horses.
default_frusty.gif
Even if you don't do that, I'd love to hear what everybody uses and why you like it.

I have a Canon that does continuous shooting, but I'd have to look up the model--I never remember--and I'm wanting to get one of the newer Elph cameras, haven't decided which one yet.

Honestly. though, the camera I use the most now is my iPhone. It's always handy, takes great stills and video--plus I can pull stills out of the video.

Well looking forward to replies but here is what I have had and have. My all time favorite camera was a Kodak Easy Share DX6440 -I could do everything with it, it was easy to use, recharge station so batteries were always ready, great towork with via my computer and dependable. It got dropped and has never been the same. So began researching cameras, asking questions, and trying to stay on a budget I finally decided to go with another Kodak Easyshare Z950 12 Mega pixels, can plug into computer to recharge, compatible with old kodak photo program but...it just isn't the same, randomly pics are blurry, or out of focus(of course the one pic I was really wanting a shot of). Used it for about 2 years when my daughter this spring didn't like her camera and wanted a new one. I really liked the quality of pictures it took so I asked if I could use it for awhile. It is a bigger size camera, GE X5 image stabilization, 14.1 megapixel, and lots of settings and options. This one has been a bit of a learning curve for me and I am still learning. I love the pics it takes, it does video and you can capture a pic from video(but I can't do it). It is a great camera but too much going on for me, I want simple point, shoot, pic but with quality. I am going to keep trying to master this latest one because I do feel everything that is important is in this camera. Downfall...no recharge on batteries, so have to keep spares on hand. Good luck on your search and keep us updated.

Canons are really good =) They last long and are very sturdy--I drop mine all of the time and its never broke! I dropped it on cement once and it just turned off and I turned it back on and it was normal again =) I got it at Target for $130. My Dad ad mom each have Canons too--different kinds but they're all really nice. Don't get one of those cheap cameras--like a small nikon. I accidentally dropped my sisters Nikon pocket camera only two feet and it broke. Never turned on again. Yeah--I owed her XD

I have a Nikon D700 DSLR which I love but it is a very expensive camera. I also have a Fuji Fine Pix which is ok, and then my newest is a Nikon AW100 which is a great little camera. It is waterproof and can handle being dropped. Perfect to take kayaking.

Thanx for the replies, ladies! I'm so electronically challenged, I didn't know where to start looking, or even what I was looking for!

Little Lady, if you're having trouble figuring out how to capture stills from the video on your camera, I might as well not even try! Guess it's pretty much over my head.
default_giveup.gif

Minimor, I had no idea you could do that with an iphone! One question about that. When you email those pix, are they huge? My son emails me pix from his android and I swear they're big enough to cover a wall!
default_yes.gif
Had a lady send me a pic from her ipad, of one of my horses that she bought, and it was the same. She figured out how to downsize it though.

The iPhone pictures are huge in their original format but when you email them you have the option of sending them small, medium, large or 'original' (huge LOL)--so I usually choose medium or large, for someone on dial up I have sent them small or medium. If you look on the pony forum I have a 'video a friend did' posted there, of my pony Q--that video was all taken with an iPhone. I have some nice stills pulled out of it too.

Mom has an android phone (Razr) and while it takes nice pictures and videos I find it harder to work with. It isn't compatible with my computer so I cannot direct transfer pictures and videos. I can email photos but downsizing them is less friendly --at least for me!

We love our Canon Powershot...I can't remember the model though. I want to say sx40 or something like that. It was approx $350, has an awesome zoom and user friendly. It does all kinds of cool stuff.

Our son and family got tired of listening to me grumble about our 12 year old Samsung.

Love that camera, has a great German Schneider lense, great zoom quality but with it's

age it had aquired a lot of idiosyncrasies, like taking forever between photos to repower

for the next one. Grumble grumble grumble.

So they bought us a Canon Powershot Elph 110HS ....tiny lightweight thing, has a nice large

viewing screen, quick recover after using flash and shoots great in low light ::: all

waayyy better than the old timer. Not sure the zoom is as good but so far I'm delighted with it.

We love our Canon Powershot...I can't remember the model though. I want to say sx40 or something like that. It was approx $350, has an awesome zoom and user friendly. It does all kinds of cool stuff.
I also have a Cannon Powershot (S3IS) and love it. It does have the capability to take still shots from a video withthe right computer program. I've had mine about 5 years and it was about $450.

Hi Melba!! I'll agree will all the posts, I'm a Canon girl too! Let us know what you get and show some new photos of your gorgeous horses OK?

I like fuji cameras for skin tones on people. I have a fuji x10 now. It is not a mega zoom like many out there. It takes very clear pics and allows many advanced settings that its higher end big brother fuji camera offers. I had a Sony I really liked, but was set up like a larger SLR. It took clear pics and at the time, I was in full swing with my now dispersed mini herd. I needed the remote it came with so I could single handedly take photos of the horses.

When I dispersed my herd, I wanted to go with a camera that was a little smaller. The only downfall, I wish it had a little more of a zoom capability, but the great trade off.... The pictures are extremely clear, I can resize and crop them quite a bit and still not have a grainy image like many super zoom camera's.

My brother has a higher end cannon, awesome photos, big camera. He and I took photos at our brother's wedding in August. Both took nice pics. I did a little editing on a photo to get rid of a some background clutter, then sent it off to Walmart to get an 8x10. The clerk refused to give the pic to my dad, she said she did not believe it was done by us and we were trying to reproduce a professional shot. Double edged sword, it was a compliment and an insult wrapped in one. manager intervened and reprinted it for us after the clerk shredded the original one we sent via the web..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, 2012 didn't end very well, and 2013 didn't start out very well, either! Not only did my camera die, my computer did, too!
default_frusty.gif
When it rains it pours! But from all the replies, it sounds like I'm gonna be looking at a Canon Powershot. Might just get me an Iphone for backup!
default_yes.gif

Hey Deb, I need to send you some new pix of Dot. She's doing just great. Now that the economy's picking back up, I'm gonna breed her to my little 27" appy stallion this spring.

I'd love to see her! DD was always a favorite of mine, I just loved her personality she was so sweet and adored the babies and little children. I'll look forward to new photos by your new camera...emailed from your new computer! lol

I'll for sure send you some pix of the old gal when I get my new camera! She's my lead mare now. I sold my lead mare last year, and Dot was her deputy!
default_yes.gif
Those two were joined at the hip for years, and poor Dot fretted for a long time after Lacy left. When the girls have a rodeo out in the pasture, she's leading the pack, kicking up her heels like she was a young'un!

Latest posts

Back