Diffrence in my mini everytime the weather changes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi!

Just wondering if any of you have had similar experiences to what I am having with my little guy.

This is the second time before a tinny bit of change in the weather, my little guy has been effected by it, a week or so a ago we where going to have a snow storm, the 2 days before it happened my little guy had loose stool, he was eating, drinking, had no temperature, but was just not himself. Then we are suppose to be getting rain in the next few days and tonight he had some loose manure again.... same thing he's eating, drinking, no fever. no sudden changes in diet or anything, no new foods. I am keeping a good eye on him and recording when this happens. taking his temp and checking hydration. last winter he would do something to, but he would act like he had a cold, no loose stool though just seemed tired, when the temp changed.

is there any natural herbs or things that you might recommend? have any of you had a super sensitive mini to the weather?

thanks!

It may be coincedental, have you checked for sand in his manure? That is one cause of loose stool. You might try some sand clear my horses get it regularly and like the taste.

It could very well be sand. I have a colt who gets the worst scours if he eats off the ground for just one day. You may also consider the possibility of an ulcer. Stress can lead to an upset and weather can cause stress. Perhaps try some ulcerguard if a sand purge with psyllium husk does not clear up his problem. You could also try a probiotic to get his system back into balance and te herbal remedy veterinary diarrhea control gel has worked wonders for our herd. Good luck.

Drastic weather changes can bring stress to the body alone and can cause ulcers and colics. I would ask the vet for suggestions.

Animals are sensitive to changes in air pressure. So it is possible that he knows that a storm is on its way.

if he does know that there is a storm on the way, then he may be stressing over it and and that could be the end result of his stress, is the loose stool.

Just a thought. I do think asking the vet is your best chance of figuring it out.

My new horse had a colic episode with a weather change. I started him on prebiotics. Might be something to consider. It works differently than probiotics. They sure can worry us!

Ok thanks everyone! Right now we have snow.... So I don't know how he would get sand, as the only time he's on sand is when we play in the arena. But I won't rule that out. How would you check for sand? And I will defiantly call my vet if the problem persists. Tonight I went to go and see him and no loose stuff at all. He just seem tired. But my other mini, my mare is coming in to her first season (i think its her first anyway never really seen her act this way before) and she's been extra bossy and pushy to him so that could be making him tired.

To check for sand, get a couple disposable latex gloves, find some of his fresh manure, put a couple pieces into one of the gloves (the other is for your picking hand, if you need it), add a little water to dissolve the manure, give it a little time, any sand will settle to the fingers of the glove and will feel gritty. If you find some then he'll likely need a round of a sand clearing product.

Our three all have barometers hidden somewhere up there under their tails. Weather change?... Yup, they get freaky. In behavior only.

Doesn't affect their bodily functions; i.e., normal pooping etc.

I am aware of it and careful of it because we have temp pastures strung with electrical wire; and they'll run right through it if they get ramped up enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back