different outfits for different driving classes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For miniature horse driving classes, there generally isn't anything different. Certainly not in the Rulebooks.

At local shows, I wear the same thing driving as I do for halter. Black slacks and a dressier top.

At Nationals, the evening classes are more dressy, so I would wear a dress of some sort (remember to have sleeves and make it a more conservative style!). Men have it easier, suits for everything.

Some people do like to do "themes" such as more country-type clothing for Country Pleasure (like hats and such) and then more sparkly sequin-y stuff for Park Harness.

For Roadster classes, however, you will need racing silks... get black slacks, but then wear matching colored cap and jacket.

I hope this answers your question to start with. Not really sure what you are looking for.

Good luck,

Andrea

I think of country pleasure as "Sunday Go To Meeting" style; Jacket, dress, or vest ( no bare shoulders), a hat, something classy. Pleasure is more Saturday Night date; shinier, dressier but still tastefull. Bare shoulders but not strapless OK. We have all seen the OMG tacky/tasteless outfits of prom dresses gone wrong--slit up to you know where or falling out the top
default_new_shocked.gif
The main goal is "the pretty picture". You want to complement your horse in color and style.

Local shows there is often not time to change; Andrea is right about pants and a nice top or jacket. Many of us pull on a skirt over the pants. Go to Sandi Costa's web site for what I consider a very classy lady in Country Pleasure--her hats are to die for!! Here a couple shots of us:

Patty in a single pleasure class

Spooker05Daffy06002.jpg

Local show country pleasure

Spooker05Daffy06022.jpg

Spooker05Daffy06006.jpg

and pleasure

DSC_7283_edited.jpg

that's all I have on Photobucket right now--I'll try to find more pics later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it depends on "what type of Judge", you are showing under. I remember years ago, competing in a Ladies Driving Class under a Judge who turned out to be a "Carriage Driving" man, and he lined us ladies all up and lectured us stating, "Ladies should look like Ladies", meaning hats and gloves.!! But for your Mini Horse Judge, depends on the type of show either local Fair, sanctioned, or Nationals. But should be neat, clean and tidy looking. I personally like long sleeves with gloves; hats are optional, some wear them and some don't.

I was always told also that classes after dark were more formal- dont know if that still holds true. I have seen some nice 'country' dresses and hats in those classes, more 'formal wear'- shiny, sequin, etc.. dresses in pleasure driving.

In regards to color, go to many shows and watch the driving classes and see what colors catch your eye! Also, with what color horse. See what colors catch your eye but also dont clash with the color of your horse too. It does make a difference from the stands, so I am sure it does to the judges as well. You must also though, not pick a color that is going to wash you out!

Latest posts

Back