difference between mini horses and pony?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with you on that, but I think we are in the minority. I love the really sturdy ones. My mare is far from perfect but I snatched her up because she was the sturdiest stockiest little horse I found and that is what I wanted for driving around here. My gelding is much more refined, but is still young. I'm hoping he fills out some and looks more stocky like his mother and less like his more refined father.
Hooray - well at least there are two of us
default_aktion033.gif
I've found actually that my friends who all have big horses were freaked when I bought Chilli, thinking she was going to be like the little fine ones, then when they saw her they were thrilled as she is real pony-like, just very little. Everyone loves her almost as much as I do! They call her the mini honorary warmblood.

default_biggrin.png
how about everybody posts some pictures of what they consider pony type, and mini horse type?
default_yes.gif

I think my girls are somewhere inbetween, not very refined, but I do think they look like shrunken horses. But I am very new to this sooooooooo, my 'look' is probably off.

It is very interesting to read all these responces. I remember, when I was first looking at mini horses, it seemed like people got upset when they were called ponies.

If I go by the generations of registered horses being minis, than my little family is not a true mini. but thats ok!
default_wub.png

very interesting! thanks so much!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

both of my b geldings are sired by shetland stallions

one of my boys is registered amhr/aspc

the other is just amhr

Check out this site and you will find some very useful info. These are the real Shetlands and you can compare them to your minis.

http://www.kellas-stud.co.uk/breed_facts.htm

KenBen
Living in Australia, these are the only type of 'shetland ponies' we know! I LOVE LOVE LOVE them
default_wub.png
Stocky, fat and fluffy. Real cuddle bears!

I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the American Shetlands as they look nothing like the UK Shetlands.

Maggie,,

In Fall just starting her coat... picture makes her legs look shorter than they are.

Maggieeatingshinygoodjuly06.jpg

in winter

maggiestandinginsnowmarch06.jpg

In pasture summer

dyframaggietheiaeatingjune05.jpg

Maggie... just clipped

Maggieclippedmay05.jpg

None of my pictures are that great but it should give you some idea. She looks like a Shetland in her winter coat... and loose half the horse when she is clipped. She is what I call a medium build mini,, when she is not over weight that is.

Sure others will have better pictures.

She is a Liver Chestnut...when she isn't sun faded or clipped.
default_biggrin.png

And is a A & R registered mini horse,,, who is from the old original shetland lines.

Hi Stella,

You've got the pony vs mini thing figured out, but I just wanted to add that some of my favorite horses are my Shetland Ponies that are small enough to be Miniature Horses! I think both of these ponies (registered with ASPC and AMHR) are very horse looking.
default_yes.gif

B&L's Rock E Red Alert, 35.5"- National Grand Champion Stallion, Halter Horse of the Year

budinredi.jpg

Wall Street The Admiral Lambee Pie, 36" - National Reserve Grand Champion Mare

PICT4619.jpg

Lisa, your ponies/horses always grab my attention! You have such a nice herd.

I always think every miniature horse is a pony and really every pony is a horse when it comes down to it, just a certain height of one. I understand there are pony characteristics but the accepted guideline for pony is a height one.

I usually tell people that techincally they are all ponies under 14.2 hands. Under that can be classified into groups like Shetland has ancestors that go back to the Shetland Islands in the 1800s and have a recorded bloodline. Minis are a height group and anything under 38" can be considered a "miniature Horse".

Latest posts

Back