Did you ever buy for conformation...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobey

Reaction score
Just wondering how things turned out. Everyone has colors that catch their eye--mine are dilutes and pintos.

I ALWAYS buy for conformation! (Color is just the frosting on the cake.)

Let me back up here...... The first thing I do is establish the "type" of horse I want....and different bloodline crosses produce different "types", or "looks". (Does that make sense?) THEN within the type, I go for conformation.

And yes, I've (or rather Larry and I) have "settled" over the fact the horse wasn't an exciting color....or was a color we already have lots of, BUT the conformation was too good to ignore!

MA

I liked this filly as a baby (her movement and attitude) and she seemed to have good conformation (back then I was trying to find some leggy "show" type miniatures)... but ICK the COLOR!!! My ex-boyfriend said he liked the "cow colored" horse... and although I HATE keeping the white parts clean and I don't like pinto coloring... I just LOVE this horse. She is my very favorite.

Ruff N Tuffs California Dreamin' (AMHR)

mebendcallie.jpg

I have to admit I buy for color - but ONLY if they have great conformation too.

Theres not many colours that I dont like, but, if there was a nicely conformed horse that was a colour I disliked.... id pass on it and keep looking for one with the conformation AND the colour (as well as all the other things I look for like movement and trainability)

I figure I have to look at this horse every day and love it, so why should give up on looking for "complete package" type horses. Its still conformation first, colour second for me... I just dont like to settle for anything less than what I really want.
smile.gif

I agree with Meg....it goes without being said that the horse should have good conformation first. But there are SO many wonderful, quality Miniatures out there to pick from....why settle on one that's a color you just don't like? If you look long enough, you will find exactly what you are looking for...quality AND color.
yes.gif
I prefer flashy pintos & I breed for what "I" like.
wub.gif
I realize they are not everyone's cup of tea...and that's OK. Variety is what makes life interesting!
aktion033.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Conformation and type first, color is gravy. I love pintos because they are easier for me to see from a distance outside but out of my 11 horses 6 are solid colored![/SIZE]

Lyn

Roans and mixed-hair(white sprinkled in with the color) horses are at rock bottom of my list...as are anything with white markings(esp. high legs and faces). Basically I don't like horses that are hard to keep clean or look 'dirty' all the time.

And so, what do I have? Two minis that are in those colors(out of three, LOL). Fascination is a pinto with white legs and other spots(at least she has a dark tail!!), and Dan is a very sabinoed(is that a word?) chestnut, so he looks pink!

On the other hand, I like just about any color anyway, so not a big deal.

I did not buy but when we decreased our herd I hung onto my silver bay filly. She was born with a beautiful flaxen mane which I loved but I knew it would & it is now turning a mix of brown, gray etc. I call her my plain brown wrapper................. Come time to breed her I will be looking for a stallion that will sire me a colorful foal..................... I don't really dislike silver bays, it is if I would have had my druthers, I probably would have chosen a different color for her. Actually her color looks great right now because Lee just clipped her for our State Fair show but it looks drabby brown when it grows out.

cbsho05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did and will always buy based on conformation! Just like everyone else said...the colour is just, the icing on the cake! I bought a great colt this year with great conformation although grey/appy is my worst fav colour...My advice would be to always buy for conformation first before you are worried about the colour, if we want to make this breed better and continue to make them better.

saludando.gif

-Kris

I buy for colour... but with a certan look & type w/ my conformation.... so I try to buy a horse with my colours & conformation.... Not one ore the other.. Both

I do not buy mares, haven't now for over twenty years, except on a whim and not to keep. In that case of course, I go for temperament, usually temperament alone as, if you are going to sell, it is temperament that sells a horse. Anyway, I do, obviously have to buy Stallions from time to time as even I accept that you cannot keep breeding back!! Cody was the last one and, luckily, I had had my eye on him since I first saw him. I took a chance as, although he had won a lot, and he had mares in foal, he had none born. I went for the colour (Silver) the type and the bloodlines. I knew his conformation was sound as I had spent two two years criticising him in the showring! I have not been disappointed in a single foal he has had- I know a lot has to do with my excellent mares, but he has done his bit as well. So, it is never any one thing- the whole horse has to be right. I would tolerate a mare of a colour I was not wild about, but not a Stallion.

Well, I used to say I'd never buy a horse if I didn't like the color, but when Erica and I set things in place about Destiny, I really didn't like his color very much. I didn't hate it, but I wasn't wild about it. However, I was looking at his fuzzy shots and clipped foal shots. I do actually love the color he has turned out to be! And, for what it is worth (mommy goggles welded into place), I think his conformation is such that no matter what the color, I'd have wanted him to be mine seeing him now! Destiny was the first time I just trusted someone else's eye and didn't really cross examine what the horse might be. I figured, if he was good enough for Erica...
biggrin.gif

destiny+mom--trot.jpg

Destiny%20--%20Pro%20Picture%20--%20052005%20--%2014.jpg

Destiny%20--%20All%20American%20Classic%20--%20May%202005%20--%20002.jpg

It's just as easy to find a horse with great conformation in a color you like, as not. Personally, when buying I look for a specific coloring I favor and evaluate the conformation to finalize the decision. First impressions do count and for me I want a horse that is pleasing to the eye both in conformation and color. Perfect conformation or not there are certain colors or color characteristics I don't care very much for such as roans, medicine hats and especially pintaloosas.

Funny that so many love pintos i am not a pinto person yet over half my herd is pinto cause i really liked the horse and could get past the color
smile.gif

Since I am interested in pintos I buy pintos. I will run out of money before they run out of horses to buy so I can pick and choose both color and conformation to compliment the herd and my goals. I will not buy a red horse though. Been there dne that and don't want to have only red horses on the place.

Sorry, but I look for COLOR first, then if the conformation suits me, I buy. I'm not a buy and sell kind of person, so chances are I'll be looking at that horse for a looooong time and I want to love what I see. I do have an exception though. This spring I bought a "plain, brown/grey wrapper" just because I really liked her looks and lo and behold, she's beginning to get SPOTS! Yep, Laura, that would be Calla! She's a doll, very pretty and I love her to pieces!

Latest posts

Back