Did Saturday Night Live go too far?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppyLover2

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I never watch SNL. Don't like it....it's just of absolutely no interest to me. But I've heard twice today about a skit they did this past weekend about Todd Palin and incest.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

I think, no matter whether you're Democrat or Republican, they went too far. Is there no subject too low for the media to pick up on in the name of "humor"?

What do you think?

The only Palin skit I'm aware of is the one that was posted, but I didn't catch this week.

Either way, it's SNL. That's what they do. It's a great American right, and every once in a while makes for some amusing TV.

That is what makes SNL no one is safe

gotta love it equal insults all around

Well, I will say I don't watch Saturday Night Live either - I just don't like the show.

I will say I don't care what SHOW it was on if they tried to make Incest into some type of humor that is sinking lower than low in my eyes.

I did not see the skit, but heard about it. Definitely NOT funny...
default_no.gif
I do enjoy the show when I watch it, but there are some subjects that just aren't funny
default_sad.png

I have a strange sense of humor and sometimes think things are funny when others don't see it but the incest skit was just gross and ignorant. The link that Matt has posted is NOT the skit that is being talked about here. I did find that one funny but this last one IMO is just plain wrong
default_sad.png
. If you think saying someone molested his daughters is funny then that's your right, to each their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see it but if it was as I heard from a couple of sources, they crossed the line and should make an apology............. Saying it is their American right does not justify it at all.......... If you or I said this about someone we would find ourselves in court. Someone approving of this is also questionable in my opinion..... I feel businesses should adopt the golden rule just the same as we individuals should.

I would say that is going too far.

I am not a fan of SNL in the first place--some (most?) of their "humor" is just too stupid to be funny IMO, but to each his own. I can't imagine how ANYONE can find anything funny about incest. (Curious--for those of you that found that amusing, would you still think it was funny if it was about Obama rather than Todd Palin??? I suspect some wouldn't...a few might.)

I actually saw the skit in question. I will say it was not exactly as being portrayed when I have since heard about it.

I do not feel it was as horrible as being said and it is SNL after all. I think it is a bit hypocritical for people to get all up in arms about this.

After all how many of you can honestly say you never even cracked a smile at all the jokes about Michael Jackson? I can tell you many people I know personally that have their panties in a wad over this SNL skit are ones who I have seen personally get quite the giggle out of Michael jokes involving his issues with young boys.
default_rolleyes.gif

Comparing Michael Jackson to Todd Palin, ugh, people never stop amazing me
default_rolleyes.gif

I didnt see that one. I enjoy the political skits normally....sometimes they are funny, sometimes not. It is SNL, so I wouldn't take it seriously no matter what they said.

Yup, exactly what I was saying, not comparable in the least. I have a clue but if it makes you sleep better at night say what you will
default_smile.png

So of those offended, how many of you have seen the skit, or at least read the article I posted?

If it were said about Obama, well, it depends on the context. In the context the joke was told, it's mocking the NYT and how out of touch they can be. "Well he's from Alaska...isn't that what they do in Alaska?" I don't think it would make as much sense if you plugged in Illinois.

Still wouldn't stop them from saying it, though.

Yup, exactly what I was saying, not comparable in the least. I have a clue but if it makes you sleep better at night say what you will
default_smile.png
Your
default_poke.gif
has been noted

Trust me your smugness and arrogance and need to be right have no effect on my sleeping at night in any way.

I am sure you will once again find the need to get in the last word so have at it perhaps it will help you sleep better. Me I will now refrain from
default_deadhorse2.gif

People continually astonish me. This topic was never intended to draw another line for people of different political parties to fight about. I thought (silly me) that most (regardless of political affiliation) would agree that joking about incest on national TV isn't an appropriate way to get a laugh. As far as being "hypocritical" about is concerned.....I have absolutely no idea how you think I'm being hypocritical. I am however being CRITICAL and have as much right to do so as any one. As far as "chilling out" is concerned....maybe you should try taking your own advice.

Well - Here is my view - take it or leave

I agree Micheal Jackson and Todd Palin are not even a comparison.

NO, I did not laugh at Micheal Jackson or any of the jokes - In fact, I guess the people I am around didn't find it funny at all either - because I don't remember hearing the jokes.

I wouldn't care who they were talking about on SNL - whether it would have been Obama or ANYONE. I can tell you I would have just been as disgusted that someone finds it funny even if it would have been about Obama.

My mind just can not comprehend how anything is FUNNY when it comes to incest.

Yes, minilowrise - I read your article. I can't watch the U - Tube for one - if I understand correctly it has been taken down.( That says a lot right there) and GOOD. If it was still up I still would not watch it - they don't deserve any credit for what they have done.

I am just saying " INCEST" - What could possibly be funny about that? NOTHING! I do not care if it is a JOKE - some things are just off limits and personally I think incest is.

I mean seriously think about it -

What if that was one of your family members that the joke was told about?

Think of all the children that are going through this and maybe they are wanting to tell someone. But, how can they? - they see parents, or friends, etc. laughing about it.

Don't think somewhere in America there isn't a scared little kid - wanting to say something - but, then other kids will go to school and tell the jokes they heard from their parents.

Children have always been my soft spot.

I am HOPING some of the ones that think this is FUNNY - Will take a more serious look at it.

Last edited:
I generally operate off the 'either it's all okay, or none of it is' principle. I don't laugh at every joke, but I do not have nor do I WANT the moral authority to tell people what they can or cannot laugh about.

Latest posts

Back