Did Saturday Night Live go too far?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't laugh at anything that has to do with incest. I would find it tasteless no matter who it was over.
Not exceptable- period in my book. it is mean and hurtful to do a skit like that, I dont care who it is about. It is a sad world we live in that such meaness is exceptable as everyone is so free to say or do whatever they want!!

As a considerate human being there are just some places you DONT go!
It looks like we can all agree that this was a piece of sensless, tasteless garbage. Some spouted freedom of speech but again what about the feelings of this teenager, pregnant or not. What if they were talking about your child?

So, let me ask you this. Do we need to stop making blonde jokes? How about fat jokes? What's going to happen to Jeff Foxworthy's empire now that redneck jokes are off limits?

I hardly see the comparison between incest on a minor child and blonde jokes.

Lowrise I'm a blonde and I laugh at those jokes. I'm heavier than I should be and I do laugh at myself sometimes and also at fat jokes. I do not feel that this child/woman should be made fun of nor should she be in the news especially incinuating or bringing up incest. The children of the candidates should be off limits to all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask any overweight child in a public school how they feel about fat jokes. Those jokes are absolutely hurtful to minors, yet we still allow them on TV.

Again, if one thing is off limits, everything has to be off limits in the interest of fairness. You never know when someone might be hurt or offended by something.

Ask any overweight child in a public school how they feel about fat jokes. Those jokes are absolutely hurtful to minors, yet we still allow them on TV.
Again, if one thing is off limits, everything has to be off limits in the interest of fairness. You never know when someone might be hurt or offended by something.
You know, I would rather see everything be off limits and ONLY issues spoken about. But, we will never see that.

Lowriseminis - You have amazed me with thinking this skit on SNL was ok.

I don't even know what to say anymore. As somone wrote or more than one - what if that skit was about you or one of your family members - how would you feel?

I have not seen a response that question from you yet. ( unless I overlooked it)

Lisa-If SNL wanted to mock my 'enemies' and included a spoof about me in the same skit, I'd be just fine. If SNL wanted to skip that and mock me openly, I'd be just fine with that too. Doesn't mean I would like it, or find it funny, but I'm a big enough believer in the Constitution that I wouldn't even dream of telling them to stop.

I'm afraid a skit about me wouldn't be very funny, though. I don't have any kind of recognition in pop culture.

HorsePee-I'm not just talking about politics, I'm talking in general, day to day life, so I don't get what you're saying. It's not as if the Obama camp came out at said "Yep, incest!" to try and further their goals. I believe Obama himself said that family is off limits in politics-but I don't think that applies to comedy.

Was not going to bite again but Lowrise not going to leave you hanging out to dry alone!
default_wink.png

There have been ignorant statements made in the name of humor everywhere. I have heard jokes about race, jokes about peoples names, religion, once again going to jokes about celebrities, petefiles or priests molesting children. People being fat, ugly, to skinny, homosexuals you name it. I find it hard to believe all those willing to crucify Lowrise can honestly say they have never once giggled or smiled at a joke even if it was in poor taste.

I am sure many fat people, gay people, Catholic people or any one else in a group feel jokes, comments about them or things they have gone thru are ignorant, mean, hurtful and cruel.

Yes this is about a more taboo subject and no one is disagreeing it was not in poor taste however it is no different then any other subject when it comes to being off limits. That is part of what comes with being in America. I do not like everything I hear spewed out daily but they have the right to say it here in our country.

That is part of what comes with being in America. I do not like everything I hear spewed out daily but they have the right to say it here in our country.
That's exactly the point I'm trying to make, Bingo. Who was it that said "I do not like what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it."? I love that quote.

I don't feel 'crucified', though. I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to be a martyr. I know I took up an unpopular position in this thread but it IS a position I believe in and will defend.

There have been ignorant statements made in the name of humor everywhere. I have heard jokes about race, jokes about peoples names, religion, once again going to jokes about celebrities, petefiles or priests molesting children. People being fat, ugly, to skinny, homosexuals you name it. I find it hard to believe all those willing to crucify Lowrise can honestly say they have never once giggled or smiled at a joke even if it was in poor taste.
I am sure many fat people, gay people, Catholic people or any one else in a group feel jokes, comments about them or things they have gone thru are ignorant, mean, hurtful and cruel.

Bingo then I must live a very sheltered live. I do not hear those types of jokes and if I did I would say it to someones face that I don't like it.

Sunriseminis - it is hard for me to believe if you or one of your family members was in a skit about " INCEST" only - nothing else. Then it was put on TV where everyone in the world could see it. That would not bother you?

Lisa-I never said it wouldn't bother me. Depending on what was said, exactly, I may or may not like the joke. That doesn't matter, though. The writers are still within their rights and I would not demand they stop.

As an aside, has the Palin family made any comments about the skit? Have they reacted any differently?

Bingo - I meant life..lol

Sunriseminis - I said the skit was about INCEST only.

So, are you saying if SNL put in their skit that you or a very close family member was involved with INCEST( nothing else) just INCEST..that is ok with you? This was also on TV for the whole world to see.

It " might" bother you - but, you would not ask them to stop talking about you or your close family member?

Last edited:
Reality check! Take a look at the TABLOIDS. Take a moment and watch some episodes of THE SOUP, South Park, whatever. Hang out at a bar for a bit. SNL is not the first nor will it be the last to publicly make fun of incest and goodness knows what else that people find offensive. For those of you who believe in "free speech" that's exactly what you're witnessing. Now, what is said in those skits and articles could be about you, or me, but in all likelyhood they're going to be about someone who is well known because more people will be shocked by it. I honestly don't care who it's about - tune it out if you don't like it. Change the channel. Don't read the article. Monitor what your kids are getting into. Or, you can always move to China.

I think some of you could really benefit from reading this article:

http://www.cracked.com/article_15231_7-rea...-miserable.html

CAUTION: ADULT CONTENT

...tune it out if you don't like it. Change the channel. Don't read the article. Monitor what your kids are getting into. Or, you can always move to China.
Sure we can do all those things. So what if this country is going to He-ll in a hand-basket because people don't think others have a right to object to things they find distasteful. How many people do you suppose turned a blind eye to what the KKK or Adolph Hitler were doing. As others have said just because Americans have a constitutional right to do something doesn't mean it should be done or that others must sit quietly by and accept it.

We're also entitled to "pursuit of happiness". Does that mean that if a person has more money than we do it's all right to steal it for ourselves? Or if a spouse/neighbor/friend/employer/whoever makes us unhappy we have the "right" to do something that compassionate people might find objectionable? I was once married to a mean drunk and there were times I made him unhappy because he came home drunk. Does the fact that I made him UNhappy mean that it was acceptable for him to beat the tar out of me or come after me with a shot gun? I think not!!!

We as a nation are so concerned about stepping on the "rights" of the agressors that we fail miserably to consider the rights of the victims. IMO in this particular thread SNL was the agressor and the Palin family were the victims.

Lowrise - in response to your aside - As far as the Palin family making any comment about the skit is concerned, I doubt that they'd do so in public - because we all know SNL has a "right" to say anything they want to. But I can't help wonder what discussion they might have had to have with their children about it.
default_sad.png

I think this says it all
default_yes.gif

"What this world needs is fewer rules and more good examples"

WE need an SNL skit on this!

"If you need me. Call me"

Obama calmly at the podim speaking and in the background all

heck breaks lose as the wall falls down around him....

Tanks in Georgia.....

Stock Market crashing and people in panic mode running....

Iraq war battles....

Peloski,and Reid in a panic...

ect ect....

Yet he staill stands there calmly saying

"If you need me. Call me"

Lisa-Nope.

Of course each American has their rights. I don't see how jokes infringe on anyone's pursuit of happiness. I hate using that in arguments because I've tried to a few times, usually in support of gay marriage. People don't seem to buy it.

Latest posts

Back