Did anyone here watch Meet The Press 9/4/05?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabby-Chicken

Reaction score
There was a story about a Louisiana official and after the hurricane happened, his Mama called him from the nursing home she was in. He couldn't get to her, and for days she kept calling him asking her son to save her. And by the end of the week she had drowned in the nursing home. He couldn't get to her. This story has gotten to me more than any of the the horrible tragic ones that are happening. I just can't imagine. I just want to cry and cry. I am so sorry people. Just, so sorry.

Hugs, it is tough to see and hear these things. I truly hope that common sense is used and the city is not rebulit in the same place for it to happen again at some future date. I am soooo upset with Bush for his indecisiveness in doing things that could have prevented a lot of deaths. After all he is supposed to be commander in chief. And this was a National disaster....that will affect all of us.I doubt very much that he would have waited for some other official to do something first had that been a racial riot instead of a hurricane...he would have had someone in quickly, without a doubt. God help us if we are ever have an attack from another country because Bush has nothing well planned for those he represents. JMHO Mary

Crabby-Chicken said:
There was a story about a Louisiana official and after the hurricane happened, his Mama called him from the nursing home she was in. He couldn't get to her, and for days she kept calling him asking her son  to save her. And by the end of the week she had drowned in the nursing home. He couldn't get to her. This story has gotten to me more than any of the the horrible tragic ones that are happening. I just can't imagine. I just want to cry and cry. I am so sorry people. Just, so sorry.
461483[/snapback]

I did see that. I missed the part about what finally happened to her and I am sad that she did not make it. I know this will haunt him forever and it should not have been this way.

Liz M.
no.gif

If an Official from Louisiana can you expect the Government officials can do any different??.. That guy had all the resources at his disposal and STILL could get get her out....Sad I know, but that city is still under in some places 20+ feet of water The water has not gone down at all they can't get the levies damed up...So water no is the same level as the lake.. I know we all sit back and saw gee whiz why can't they get them out...Well some just don't want to leave The debris is still all over the area and now the water is Floating with dead bodies...And I am sure in that heat Uff Da....I saw this AM a couple had to leave their house lock their doors and leave their 3 dogs behind... people come first in a situation like this... with over 10,000 already air lifted out there is still 100's maybe even 1,000s left to get out~! I sure hope they Rebuild the city somewhere else This Will Happen again in the future... Could be next week could be in the 40 years or a 100 years But one thing is for certain This kind of thing IF the city is left where it is and destroy the Wetlands by directing the Mighty Mississippi this is going to happen again... Yes play with Nature and don't let the natural things take over like the building of a Delta by a major river and Look out for trouble at some point in time...

How was she able to call when phone lines were out and so were cell phones? Not saying it didnt happen and sorry if it did, just wondering how she was able to contact him.

Pepi I was wondering the same thing

I have no idea how she got the call out. If there was a cell phone or what. They did not specify. Even if that tale is false ( and I don't think it is) there are hundreds more just as sad. All of it is so terribly sad.

Well it makes me wonder where the billions and billions of dollars that the government ear marked for protecting us from terriost went to. Nature may not be affiliated with a terriost group, but it sure was a disaster.

And yes, I think that the Federal government should be able to do something even if the state or local government isn't able.

Do we even have a Vice Prez anymore? Havent heard a thing about him, from him or of him in the longest time. Since Bush cannot be there 24/7 now, sure think Cheney should be.

This whole thing has been handled badly from the very beginning.

Buckskin Gal, as far as Bush is concerned he declared New Orleans a National Disaster Area BEFORE the hurricane ever hit.

FEMA was there to go in right after the hurricane as directed by the President. The Govenor and the Mayor of New Orleans did NOT do their jobs. It was up to them to send the rescuers (FEMA) as to where they wanted them to go. They didn't. When the rescuers started getting shot at, they pulled out. The President told the Mayor that she had his consent to declare Martial Law and get things under control so the rescuer could go in safely. SHe has done NOTHING!!!

There were several semi truck loads of food and water on the interstate waiting to get their to help people. THe were stopped by the Red Cross because, the paper work wasn't exactly the way it "needed" to be. They were told to go home and if they wanted to help to donate to the Red Cross. At a time like this I don't think paperwork should be the most important factor.

The head of FEMA not knowing that there were several thousand people stuck with no food or water at the civic center is rediculous!!! He said he had heard about it but it hadn't been proven so he did nothing, inspite of the fact that there were reports at the civic center filming what was happening.

When the Mayor told people to evacuate the city, he knew that there were a lot of people that had no way of getting out. Why didn't he have buses their to get people with no other means to get out???

These are just a few of the things that I know of and am sure their are more.

God help us if we are ever have an attack from another country because Bush has nothing well planned for those he represents.
I guess you have forgotten about 9/11

My brother is a paramedic in Olympia Washington and is leaving for MS in the next few days to help.

The good thing about this is that people are coming together to help those that they can. This is a very sad situation.

Robin

I saw that same story this morning as well, it broke my heart. I truly believe it was true, because unless the gentleman was an oscar winning actor, he couldn't have been lying ....it was just heart-breaking to see. I am just awestruck by all of the horrors these people and animals are having to go through. I know that a lot of people don't think they need to help, because the people were notified they needed to leave, but I read an interesting article this morning in the Olympian that there is a huge amount of poverty in New Orleans. The article I read was from a woman who lived in New Orleans & escaped with her 2 1/2 year old daughter just before the storm hit......and she explained that the poverty is so rapant down there that the area is as close to a third world country as one can get (without actually being one) and that most people just don't realize that some of these people cannot even get to a grocery store, much less evacuate before a hurricane. My heart definitely goes out to the people down there, I do hope that FEMA and their own officials and our federal officials start acting together & helping these people. I do know that the rescue efforts are on-going, but those poor rescue people, they are probably hitting the end of their ropes from exhaustion as well. I know that I am saying extra prayers for all those affected. It's very hard to sit back & not be able to do much from so far away.
sad.gif

Latest posts

Back