did a rescue today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
As some of you may have noticed I posted that I was looking for a companion for the broodmare that I am getting next weekend.

I also told a few people that I was looking. This lady contacted me and told me she had an 8 year old pony I could have.

I went to look at him yesterday and nobody was home. I could see this tiny little pinto in a pasture but not very closely. Well, last night she contacted me again and told me they would be home today if I wanted to come to see him.

When she gave me the directions I reallized I had been at the wrong farm. Anyhow, we hooked up the trailer and set off to look at this horse.

We drove up this really long muddy driveway to a house and didn't see any animals except some really big dogs. The lady and her husband came out and told us to follow them.

We walked around behind the house and there were at least 15 big horses eating hay and you could see every rib. We kept following and in a little bitty pen with a small barn stands a very muddy and manure covered pony.

They told me that they had been trying all day to catch him to get a halter on him so I could look at him. I asked them to stay back and walked right up to him. He was not what I was looking for in the least but I took him to get him away from that home.

He wasn't halter broken but followed me to the trailer and was not at all hard to load. They were really surprised, said he had never been loaded before.

We took off and stopped at the nearest town and contacted the sheriff's department. They didn't even know there was a house back in there but while we were there, they contacted the local SPCA chapter and asked their representative to meet them 1/4 mile from the farm in 30 minutes.

We had to leave but I left my name and contact information and told them that I would be glad to come back to testify as to what I had seen.

Anyway, we now have a grade pinto pony stallion who was very happy to leave and very very happy to see grass even if it was dead. I left him with a hay rack full of hay in a clean stall with fresh water and some grain. He was still grazing when I left but I fugure he will explore the stall later tonight.

Now I have to get him healthy enough to have him gelded. He is really skinny but was in much better shape than the big horses were. He will visit with the vet tomorrow for an evaluation and to get him started on the right track.

My brother in law told me I would never catch him again but he never stopped grazing when I brushed some of the mud off of him. I won't have any trouble catching him, he'll figure out really fast where his feed comes from.

People like the ones that had him make me so mad I could commit a crime. How they can live with themselves I will never know. If I have an animal and can't take care of it, I will find it a home immediately, not wait until it is nearly starved to death.

Mary

congrats on the new boy. I so agree with you. My horses would be given away to good homes if I was not able to feed them. Why are people so cruel? Please post a picture when you get one, evey if he is covered in manure.

Kay

Wow Mary, What an experience you had.....Sounds like you handled it perfectly!

You got the little guy away from the situation FIRST. I know not everyone can do that, but sometimes people will be in you position and contact the authorities BEFORE trying to buy or get the horse and then everything backfires.

Kuddos! And it sounds like the little fellow knew exactly what was going on!

MA

Congratulations on your new pony. Thank goodness there are people like you. bless you. We have only the amount of horses we can take care of and love.
wub.gif

bless your heart!! Im so happy you found him and took him and that you contacted the authorities to report the conditions. Funny thing about these rescues is they just seem to know a good person and that they are getting out. when we took all those horses off the farm that tied them in a junk yard they told us the larger stallion was mean. well he was never mean to us and within a couple days he was as sweet and loving as could be.

Way to go Mary!
aktion033.gif
Can't wait to see him. Hope he gets a good vet report. Have you named him yet?

What a sad thing to see.Thank God for people like you!

The little guy must think this so this is what heaven is!

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Bonnie

Bravo! I am so glad that you took him even though he wasn't exactly what you were expecting! It really is a shame to see horses that bad and the owners not really doing much to help them. At least they gave him to you.

And you are right. If you had no problem catching him there, you will probably not have any problems at your place. It is funny how horses know who is saving them and how they welcome that into their lives.

When you get a chance, could you post a picture? I would love to see who the poor fellow is! At least he now has a good future to look forward to!

Congrats on the new guy.....rescues can be such interesting creatures....the little mare we got out of a less than ideal situation, is my husbands horse probably because I sent him cash in hand and with a horse trailer to pick her up...she will let him catch her and she will climb in and out of the horse trailer for him however she think I am the boogie woman who eats horses
rolleyes.gif
yet I do 98% of all the feeding....obviously in her mind he is her savior and therefore she trusts him.....

Latest posts

Back