Did a mini horse demo today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
I had to go trim 2 minis today at a ed tech school that raises farm animals right there at the school in a big barn out back. As well as cows, sheep, goats, a pig, bunnys chickens, and a barn cat, there is a breeding pair of minis there and while I was there to trim them, all the students came out and got a one on one demo and educational facts about their minis. It was a lot of fun answering all their qusertions and teaching them as much as I could in 2 1/2 hrs.

They do the breedings of their farm animals for fair and wanted to do the same for the minis. I informed them that unlike goats and sheep, its not likely their mare is going to foal out at a busy fair. And not a good ideal as they foal usally at night when its peaceful. Also told them a lot could go wrong so best to not scare the public if something dose go bad. Great thought, but not a great ideal to do. So now they will be keeping her home to foal out instead.

While trimming, I taught them about proper hoof care, and it was good for educational puposes that the mare unfortintly had some thrush and founder issues, but they all got to learn about that as well as white line dieses, balance, and the whole conformation of the foot from the frog, sole and hoof wall and coffin bone.

I also got the oppertunity to teach them about dwarfisam which unfortantly the stallion was and told them about all the genes the foal will have. After talking about all the risks of the foal they will be having and what he is, they are now going to geld him and if the foal is a colt, him too.

We talked about showing, AMHA, AMHR, conformation, breeding, feeding, teeth, dwarfisum, over all health, pasturing, profitt in todays ecomany and anything and everything about minis. The kids loved it and learned a lot as well as the teacher of the class. I even will be having one of the students coming to my farm to help foal out one of my own foals for extra credit. She wants to film it and take pictures to take back to share with the rest of the students and to see what foaling a mini looks like. Im expecting 3 foals to be born at my farm all on top of each other so figured y not, it will be fun for her to experiance.

Since I know I was doing this, I took lots of mini horse magizines, and books as well as some teeth that I had from the dentist last time he was here. Over all it was a fun day teaching about something I absolutly love, the miniature horse!

Wow! It was sure a good thing that you came along! It sounds like they didn't do much research before taking on this project.

How great that you could provide so much education about minis to such a willing audience! Kudos!
default_aktion033.gif

I think that would be my 'dream come true' job. Being able to spend my days teaching others about my wonderful horses
default_wub.png

How cool!!
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back