dichotomous earth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelley

Reaction score
I was doing some reading and ran across info about a product called dichotomous earth (it said to get "food grade"). Does anyone use it? What do you use it for? Good product or just hype? Is advertised as being great for parasite control in all animals-horses, dogs, etc, said to sprinkle in their food, said to put in stock tanks to control algea growth, put in barns to control flies and other insects, in pet bedding to control fleas...the list goes on. Is it pretty good stuff? Any thoughts?

Diatomaceous Earth is used in and around Pigeon Lofts, that is how I happen to have some knowledge. It is an organic compund made from light-colored porous rock based mineral composed of the shells of diatoms, microscopic one-celled algae. Totally organic, can be purchased at feed stores, has a weight and consistency similiar to powered sugar. Contains some calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphate, sodium, titanium, potassium. I've known it to be used in nesting boxes and sprinked on the loft floor as a pest control product. It is also fed to pigeons by sprinkling on their feed and then claimed to be an internal parasite control. External pest control is achieved by the pourus, sharp material piercing the shells and outer "skins" of the insects causing their death, also it dehydrates their skin by stripping away their protective waxy coating. I do not use Diatomaceous Earth but have heard of several pigeon breeders who do and are satisfied with the way it works, it is also economical to buy.

Jacki Loomis

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been used as an alternative to chemical dewormers for years. It has been tested repeatedly and results show it does not work as a dewormer.

Dr Taylor

It works great in gardens for soft bodied slugs/snails, but I've never tried it as a de-wormer. I've heard it used in flea control, but have not tried that either.

If you're not feeding it to your animals, the ones used for swimming pool filuters is fairly cheap compared to food grade.

I have mixed feelings about it. Personally I wouldn't trust it as a dewormer, unless I had a Fecal Egg Count to prove it.

1. I used it in my cockatiels feed (just a little bit) because we suspected mites and it seemed to work

2. I put some on my horse's tail because he seemed to be rubbing it a lot

I have also read that DE (diatomaceous) can cause lung damage. So not sure if that helps much.
default_unsure.png

I tried it and it did not work as a dewormer for horses. But it's great to use around the chicken coop; they like to use it as a dust bath.

I love diatomaceous earth! But I use it in my cats' litter boxes, my chicken coop, and my horse stalls to control odor. I buy it at a local co op under the name of PermaGuard.

Back