Diarrhea

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellas Babies

Reaction score
I have a colt that is 3 years old and has had chronic diarrhea for the past week. What can we do for this- His feed has not changed, we did move him from one pen to another... TIA for any help ;)

We had a boy that had diarrhea for nearly a year. Nothing we tried worked. One thing that helped a bit was taking away any feed that had molasses in it. Other than the diarrhea, he was just fine. Ate normal, drank normal, played normal. One day it just quit--no reason for starting and no reason for stopping. We did keep his tail up to keep it cleaner and had to feed him extra because he would lose weight easily. An older pony person told me that just happens sometimes and can last from a month up to a year or so.

Try the usual things....making sure there are no worms, no fever, that he is eating and drinking and active. Have vet check for other possible reasons that others here on the forum can help you with. If, after all other things are ruled out, maybe you will just have to wait. I know that is not easy--a year seemed like forever to us--especially since we wanted to show him and that was not very easy. Don't like to have a horse that has diarhhea at a show cause people worry that their horses will catch something and I don't blame them cause I think the same thing if other horses appear to be sick or something.

Good luck.

Angie

Forgot to add that our horse was about 3 when the problem started also. Also, we had him gelded during that time and it didn't change anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would tick off a few things such as: worming, sand blast, possible ulcer, rich hay, intolerance to his feed?

My young colt got it when I bought new hay, it took him about 2 weeks to settle down. Another thing you could try if it is cold where you are is to give him warm water, very cold water can upset their tummies.

good luck and keep us updated if you can.

Renee

Even though we use a daily enzyme support additive to our horses feed, occasionally someone will get loose stools. Great advice to check stools for worming control, sand issues etc. and also evaluate if there have been changes in the diet where there could be a food allergy. Along with that, I think everyone should have some Bio Sponge on hand. I routinely give it to newborn foals and and then at any first signs of really loose stools/diarrhea of more than one time, for any age horse. It's really good stuff!

Young horses can go down so fast if they have diarrhea... like during foal heats. I have found that if I give the BioSponge at birth and at the start of any signs of foal heat of the foals dam... I give them some and it does not last as long and/or isn't as bad if they get it at all.

Platnum Performance Bio Sponge - it comes in a paste or powder form.

I've used Immodium AD with good results. (human meds) Comes in a liquid and you can use a syringe to shoot it in their mouth.

I have an older gelding that had chronic poops for almost a year.Bio sponge worked for a while, prescription meds from vet worked for a while.I finally tried a different feeding regimine.He has to eat his feed in water due to non drinking and colic issues.I added 1/2 cup beet pulp, 1/2 cup alfalfa pellets&1/2 cup senior feed to 4 cups water.No more runny poops.He also eats his 1 cup senior feed from bucket with 12 cups water.It is such a relief to not have to wash his poopy butt in freezing cold weather.I think it may be the beet pulp, but something is working.I had also tried sand clear etc.good luck-sometimes you just have to experiment.My vet told me to be cautious with some human meds(immodium AD)-they can sometimes cause constipation and colic.good luck.

default_saludando.gif
sand in the belly give him a oil drench or 50mls of concentrated cordial

try the cordial first great stuff works a treat...............

oh it has to be red cordial

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back