diarrhea/scours

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
Poor Willow. I have not changed her diet at all, but over the last couple of weeks, she has gone from having loose type stools to diarrhea. It's now loose enough that its sticking to her tail and the back of her legs.

She seems normal and happy within herself, even though she is a super quiet little horse as I mentioned in my recent post. Ohhh yeah, she is 8 months old now.

The only thing that has changed is that the grass is starting to green up in the field. I'm guessing it's getting quite rich and causing this.

Both her and Bailey in locked away in the yard at night, which is really like a dry lot these days and are fed hay overnight.

How should I approach this? I've never dealt with diarreah in any of my horses before so i don't know where to turn. Should I be calling the vet or trying something myself first? Keep in mind that the product brands you guys can get over there, I can't get here.

Should I remove her from the grass altogether and dry lot her with hay only?

Thanks,

Leonie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Leonie

Yup, I'd take them both off grass and stick them on the dry-lot. Try her back on only hay and see what that does after a day or two. I thought you guys are in Autumn weather. I'm sure Autumn in Australia and Canada are very different
default_wink.png
I'm so paranoid about grass with minis. I let my guys tear up the paddocks last year while they were wet. Guess what? This year they are basically dry lots
default_aktion033.gif
Instead of having them out for 20 mins. they can stay out all day. What's there is nibblins LOL. I love it. I throw some hay out there and they're good to go.

Thinking of Willow and hope all will be well!

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also try what Matt suggested as well as some kind of a probiotic - not sure what brand names/products you would have available there.

You could also try yogurt as well.

I would also try to take her temperature.

And watch her closely - though I know with you that goes without saying!
default_smile.png

I can't help with the cause, but I can say that biosponge is awesome. It is worth ordering and having on hand. It coats the intestinal walls and absorbs the toxins associated with the "poops". I saw results in 6 hours.

I used pepto, biosponge and probios on the first foal with scours, quite honestly,just the biosponge and probios did well on another foal.

Carolyn

Yes Matt, we are in Autumn at the moment. The grass in the field is not long, but it must be too rich for her.

I have taken her temperature and it's normal and locked both Bailey and Willow in the dry lot yard for the next few days and am leaving them free choice grass hay along with some oaten hay.

I also gave her some scour paste and bought some yogurt to add to her feed. Bailey gets some too. I also bought a vitamin and mineral mix that gets mixed into their feed.

I may have to let her only have small amounts of grass at this time of the year. I feel sorry for her as she loves the back field. This also means Bailey will have to stay in the dry lot area too as they hate to be separated and don;t want to cause any added stress to her system.
default_sad.png

I was out there tonight cleaning her tail and legs down then sprinkled some baby powder on her bottom area in case it's feeling a bit raw.

Sucks to be Willow right now. Poor baby.
default_no.gif

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll keep you posted.

I have read (here and elsewhere) that stressed autumn grass releases quite a bit of sugar, similar to spring grass. So limiting both of the "kids" time on it may be a good idea.

I'll be different (what a shock eh :DOH! ), she may be cycling and reacting. I love Archway Coconut Macaroon Cookies at times like this BUT I am unsure as to your having them in Aust. The probios or plain yogurt will help, fall grasses do change I agree. Some biosponge if it doesn't improve with some treatment ie..kayopectate biosponge, pepto...if her bum gets sore some diaper ointment/cream will help.

I'll be different (what a shock eh :DOH! ), she may be cycling and reacting. I love Archway Coconut Macaroon Cookies at times like this BUT I am unsure as to your having them in Aust. The probios or plain yogurt will help, fall grasses do change I agree, mow it tight. Some biosponge if it doesn't improve with some treatment ie..kayopectate biosponge, pepto...if her bum gets sore some diaper ointment/cream will help.

I'll second the recommendation for BioSponge. If you can't find it locally, go to www.platinumperformance.com to order it. It's something I keep on hand and it usually works within hours.

Jan

Latest posts

Back