Diarhea in month old filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auledasacres

Reaction score
I was over helping my good friend prepare her horses for show. Her month old filly started diarhea on Monday. It is loose with hay mixed in, NOT projectile. It just kind of runs out down her privates.

The mare is not in heat, or will not take a breeding in anyway. She wormed with equimax 2 1/2 weeks ago and then again in the last week.

One vet told her pepto-bismal, the other vet told her to leave her alone and just watch. She started the pepto-bismal two days ago but no change(she is giving 10ml 3 times a day.

I gave her probiotics to start and then took some electrolytes today. One thing I found odd while I was there is that the foal eats every 10 minutes, literally. I have never noticed my foals eating this frequent.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. My friend lost this mares foal last year and just scared to death.

Thankyou

Traci

Well, I'm not going to be much help......you are doing everything I would have suggested.

Did the worming, Pepto, Probios, Electrolytes.......

How's the foal's behavior? Normal and alert? If so, I'd continue on the above and watch.

Also, be sure the foal has a normal temp.

Finally, you could always get a second vet's opinion.

MA

She might try some Bio Sponge if she can get it from the vet, can also be ordered from platinumperformance.com. Vet should have several ways to address it - there are products specifically for foals that may be better than Pepto. Is temp normal, eyes bright, activity level okay, etc.? I think I'd want a vet to say more than just keep an eye on it.

Jan

Has there been any new grass or new hay added to the diet. We have been doing our hay for this year and have been feeding new hay to the herd. I had a colt get a bout of diareha (sp) when we put out new hay. I gave him pepto-bismol and he cleared up well.

Ditto above AND what is your weather like? If it is really hot they can dehydrate rapidly this could also be the cause of the frequent feeding......check the mares bag make sure she is producing plenty that could also contribute.......make sure there is water where the foal can get to it........me personally if I am going to take the time to use pepto they are going to get ALOT I use a big dose syringe (60 cc/60ml) and I will get as much of a full syringe as possible in them 2 to 3 times a day........check for temp....the mare could be heat and just silent about it......we could only tell on a couple arab mares that they were in when the foal got the runs for 3-4 days........wash the fanny and slather with vaseline or zinc oxide to prevent scalding.......keep giving probiotics......AND find another vet.......

Forgot to mention her husband put the mare and foal out on pasture for a few hours. That was over the past weekend.

The foal is very alert, running, playing, biting, lol. Her temp was 98".

Thanks

Traci

We went through that with two foals this year....... Vet said to keep trying things until something worked. This was after we used Bio Sponge (which has worked every time in the past). We then tried Pepto which helped but didn't take care of it. Imodium AD worked. One still has cow patties occasionally so we are still giving him pro bios paste.

Hi, I wanted to let you know we to have a colt in our barn with it. We have been

fighting this for a month. We have been to the Vets many times. Here is what we

have learned with our baby. Our colt is 2 months old, started at a month old.

He does have an Ulcer, is on Cimeidine and Carafate. He was tested this week,

and does have a Bacterial infection in his intestines. He is on Metronidazole. He also is low in protein and is anemic. He is on Lizotinc for it.

We have tried the following for him... Pepto, Diarsanyl, Drench, Epic scour formula. None which have help. He is now on Kaopactate with drench. We are

hoping and praying the Metronidazole will clear the infection and get this mess to stop. He is on last year hay, not the green fresh hay, as this makes him worse. No green grass for now. Kept in stall at night and in heat of day. He is kept under the foaling camera in the stall. So we can check on him through out the night and the day. In heat of day under fan. He is nursing, eating, playing and doing all the foal things. He is the only one in our barn with it. While at the Vets another man came in and he raises big appaloosa's. He said he has one with the samething, and the only one of 11 foals. Our Vet said he was treating several of these.

I do not know if your friend's foal is the same as our's. But wanted to pass on that we to are fighting this. I clean his stall every day, clean his buckets, the walls,

everything.

His diarrhea is now finally at runny cow poop. But we have had it worse. We are watching his hydration, and giving pedilyte for it, put in a baby bottle. We are also giving some sand clear this week. Since he is out in a dry lot in the AM's. We are only doing it this week. I don't know if I have help or not. But wanted to let you know your friend is not along. If you or her want you can email us or PM us.

I will say some prayers for her baby while I am praying for ours.

Vicky

Latest posts

Back