Deworming

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
I have been deworming with ivermectin pastes in the 1100 pound tubes. How do you get such tiny amounts out for minis? Can you buy smaller tubes? HELP!

The paste should have a plunger thats marked and you put it on the weight you want and lock it in place. Sometimes l use a rubber band as l've been known to give the tube.

What I do is move the marker to the 250 or 500 pound marker on the plunger and then I put that amount into a syringe. Then I can divide the amount into cc's depending on the weight of the mini. Because I have some dwarfs, getting the correct dosage is really important because they weigh so much less than normal minis. So, for instance, if 500 lbs worth of wormer = 4 cc's then I know that 2 cc's would be for 250 lbs, etc etc.

I have also learned that those neat little weight/height tapes don't work for dwarfs. When Dusty was still light enough for a man to pick up we weighed him on a scale. Then we picked up my normal mini filly that is the same age as Dusty. He weighed 103 pounds, she weighed 110. Then we took that weight tape and she taped out at 118 pounds, Dusty taped out at 200+!!! Can you imagine if I had dosed him for that weight! Because the dwarfs have the thick bellies they just don't tape out right, or, at least mine didn't! They are too big to pick up now but we have a friend across the road that has a calf scale that we are going to go put them on to check them again now a year later. We can put all the minis on that scale and have accurate weights that way.

With most paste wormers....there is a large margin of safety. So, you can give weanlings a 200lb dose without hurting them. I always like to "overdose" my minis a bit anyway...just as a precaution.

DON'T try this with QUEST dewormer however!!!!!! Quest has a very LOW margin of safety & you have to be very careful about the doses if you give that one. That's why I won't use it.

This might be a moot point if you already own the paste wormer, but we prefer the liquid Ivermectin. It's much easier to dose.

One CC = 100 lbs, so for babies we give a 1/2 cc.

Just thought I'd throw that out for the future, if you want to go that route.

MA

I'm with Dona and I always over dose mine also. Have always heard it is better to be a little over than not give enough.

I'm with Miniv, liquid Ivermec 1CC per 100 lb.

Wouldn't it be great if someone did market them and put them in smaller syringes for ponies and such, I'd buy it, even if it cost more than the large tube. I do not like to give more than what is needed, but it's so hard with the big syringes.

What I do is move the marker to the 250 or 500 pound marker on the plunger and then I put that amount into a syringe. Then I can divide the amount into cc's depending on the weight of the mini. Because I have some dwarfs, getting the correct dosage is really important because they weigh so much less than normal minis. So, for instance, if 500 lbs worth of wormer = 4 cc's then I know that 2 cc's would be for 250 lbs, etc etc.
I am going to do this next time, instead of guessing with that plunger thingy.

Miniv said:
This might be a moot point if you already own the paste wormer, but we prefer the liquid Ivermectin.  It's much easier to dose.
One CC = 100 lbs, so for babies we give a 1/2 cc. 

Just thought I'd throw that out for the future, if you want to go that route.

MA

459944[/snapback]

So HOW do you use the liquid? Put in on their food? Squirt it in their mouths? It does sound easier than the paste tubes and dosing.

I wonder how the new Iverease top dress wormer will work for the minis. It's divided into 5 individual doses each for 250#. Probably wouldn't be too hard to open one up and see how many teaspoons each cup holds and then divide accordingly. And, there would be no messing with pastes or liquids, as long as your horse will eat it with his feed; I want to give it a try. If my senior gelding will eat it on his feed all the others will too.

My husband has a 16+H gelding that hates worming and puts his head well out of reach when we try; he doesn't get grain on a regular basis, so I bet he'd gobble the stuff up with a handful or two of sweetfeed (heck with his size, could probably give him a pound of sweetfeed without upsetting him).

Wow! Thanks for all the great tips!! I am going to try the liquid method this time. Sounds like less to give that way. I am also curious as to how you give it. I have a 17hh 2200 lb Clyde that does well with deworming but makes a mess. tee hee. The liquid sounds like it might be easier for him too. Do you buy it in a jug or something? Thanks again for all the wonderful help! I love this forum!!

I just tried the Iverease feed thru Ivermectin on my stallions and my mares that are fed by themselves...It comes in little packs for 250lbs. (box holds 5 packs) and is a very fine granular that you put on top of their sweet feed and they scarf it up...I use the liquid Strongid on my foals using a 60 cc dose syring...I stick the dose syringe in the side of their mouth and they suck it out while I slowly syringe it in...works great and you don't lose near as much as with the paste...I use the liquid Strongid on top of sweet feed for my llamas...and since I don't have deer I used the Iverease on them also and they loved it...We will do fecals in 2 weeks to see if the Iverease works..

l buy my liquid in a bottle at UFA for $119 3 times a year. You get further with the liquid then the paste cost wise and have less waste with the liquid. But once a year UFA where l go has a 2 for one on the paste wormers so l use them also. l give the liquid by mouth way back so as not to waste and they don't spit it out. l have 2 mares that think it's candy when l use the paste and go around licking all the others paste of there mouths.
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back