Deworming foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizbeth

Reaction score
I am courious what kind of dewormer you use on your foals, the ages you deworm them and the "exact amount" you use- paste or liquid.

I have always wormed the first one/two times with panacur/safeguard and dewormed based on their weight. IE <100, 100lbs, 150lbs, etc and put the wormer in a syring to get accurate amount out of the tube. I am wondering if I should give them a larger dose or a full 250 lb dose? All foals here now are one month - three months old, since these horses have seemed to acquire an immunity to dewormers. I dose Ivermectin at 1.5 x's,(adults only not the weanlings) Equimax at per weight but only the older ones - over one year. I do not use strongent wormer paste any longer since I use Equimax.

Thanks...........

Last edited by a moderator:
I ONLY worm our foals with SafeGuard and Panacur now..... at 150Lbs. dosage when they reach (8) weeks of age.

I don't utilize Ivermectrin Gold or Strongid on them until they are at least (6) months old.

Beth,

We start worming our foals between 2 to 3 months and, like you, have always used either Panacur or Safeguard for their first worming. The amount will be based on the foal's weight, which tends to be between 75 to 150 lbs....depending if it's a mini or a pony foal.

After the first worming, we slide into using Ivermectin, based on their weight. With adults we also tend to lean to 1.5x's. And we use the liquid, not the paste. We've never had any issues, either with worms in stools or adverse reactions.

Jane/Rabbit probably can give you some more precise advice. This is a subject she has done quite a bit of research on.

Ma---

I do the same as Miniv

At 2 months we worm with Safeguard and then every month thereafter (Ivermectin etc.) until 1 year and then they are wormed every 8 weeks, like the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate your answers, and will continue what I have been doing - I just thought perhaps with lower tolerances to some wormers, this may apply to the foals as well.

Thanks again!

B

Latest posts

Back