Dewormers for tapeworm..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlesteppers

Reaction score
Been chatting with our vet..somehow we came up with Zimectrin Gold and Equimax..he told me he does NOT approve of giving these wormers to bred mares..we did before without ill effects and I know of One other forum member that did..anybody heard negative things about that or talked to their vet about the wormers??
unsure.gif
unsure.gif
he told me the reason why not to give these is the

praziquantel..

Last edited by a moderator:
At a seminar i went to they stated not approved for bred mares. NOT that they had any problems to speak off but just because it was a preventive move because a mares system can be sensitive.

I believe that it says on the package of the Equimax that it is safe to give to pregnant and nursing mares. Whether that is correct or not, I don't know, but I've given it to all of my horses, with no ill effects that I can see.

"Praziquantel is safe to use at around 5 X it's prescribed dosage in pregnant mares and foals over a month old"- I would proceed with caution, as this is the sort of information that is given out with Moxidectin (Quest) I do not routinely deworm for tapeworm- I do a faeces check and if anyone had tapes I would worm for tapes, if there is no sign I do not. So far I have never wormed for Tapeworm!!

saludando.gif

rabbitsfizz said:
"Praziquantel is safe to use at around 5 X it's prescribed dosage in pregnant mares and foals over a month old"- I would proceed with caution, as this is the sort of information that is given out with Moxidectin (Quest)  I do not routinely deworm for tapeworm- I do a faeces check and if anyone had tapes I would worm for tapes, if there is no sign I do not.  So far I have never wormed for Tapeworm!!
420571[/snapback]

Well..I think there is NO need to worm a pregnant mare with that specific wormer..you always can do it bewtween breedings..why take a chance? I just thought I throw this info "out there" for everybody to consider..
saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
do not routinely deworm for tapeworm- I do a faeces check and if anyone had tapes I would worm for tapes, if there is no sign I do not. So far I have never wormed for Tapeworm!!
I went to a Purina seminar and the vet there said the only way you can tell if a horse has tapeworms is a blood test. This I didn't know and thought they would show up in segments in the poop like a dog. Apparently not so, just FYI!

Cara

Well thank you all for getting me totally freaked out.

I just de-wormed Holly today with Zimectrin Gold and my vet said it would be fine.

Now I am out of my mind with worry.

Somebody shoot me now
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Marty, I am sure there is NOTHING to be worried about. I have dewormed SEVERAL mares in foal with Equimax, and have NEVER had an adverse reaction of any sort.

We haven't had any problems with either the Iver gold or the Equimax since they came out..preggy mares, foals over 3 months or stallions, gosh we've done our herd of 45ish, plus our champagnes, twice at least, spring and fall...and Cara you are correct, a fecal exam will not show tapeworms
no.gif

Well I just used Equimax and Zimectrin Gold for the last time today...When I used Zimectrin Gold the last time for Tapes I had two horses that got hives and the vet said they had had several reactions to it but not to Equimax so yesterday I dewormed with Eqimax....same hive reactions and another with a colic type...This is on horses that are dewormed every 5 weeks with rotation of Zimectrin, Safeguard, Strongid and Equimax or Zimectrin Gold...this scares me a little since I have never had any reactions from deworming

Latest posts

Back