Devil the WonderHorse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shalakominiatureshowhorses

Reaction score
Devil has really come far in just a year. Anyone who meets him for the first time wonders why his name is Devil. Well, he was a real Devil! He would be like a bratty kid, not aggressive, but he really liked to push my buttons. I really honestly didn't know what I was going to do with him, behavior wise. Then I learned about trick training.

Why not direct his bratty behavior into something fun? I started studying off of YouTube videos and started from there. His first trick was rear. Before anyone tells me different, I would like to say that we are a safe distance away from each other during this trick, and we do it rarely. Then, he learned to lay down, which by that he taught himself to sit! He is a cutie. Every time I ask for him to lay down, he automatically sits on voice command. He also knows "hoof". When I lift up my left leg, he paws or holds his left leg in the air, same thing goes for the right also. I am trying to teach him the Spanish walk, not working so far ;). But that's okay, in surprised he has learned this much!

And to top it off, he knows how to, what I call, "freestyle". I don't need to use a lead or a halter anymore when we are doing tricks. He has learned to go off of voice commands to do his tricks. If anyone has seen Clinton Anderson and his mare Mindy, their performance on the ground is close to what we are doing. Devil knows when I start to lengthen my jog, he is supposed to trot. When I start pumping my arms when I am running, he is to loap. All the while his shoulder stays by my thigh. He has gotten really good. I'm so proud if him. On Sunday, I took him to a driving clinic (I posted on the driving forum.) just to hang out. We played around in the round pen, and his concentration is on me at all times!

Trick training has really changed him all together, along with maturity that kicked in ;) he is a sweet heart and tries his best! I need to see if I can get a YouTube account and post a video! I'd appreciate if anyone would PM me and tell me how to set one up!
default_smile.png

BTW, what are little treats that I could use? Right now I'm using handfuls of grain, we don't need grain a lot anymore, but it's to praise him after short sessions. I only give him a palmful, not much, is grain okay? Or should i use oats? He has a small mouth so a nicker maker of an oat cookie doesn't work.

Thanks! Bailey and Devil

What about hay pellets for his treat? They come in alfalfa and some companies make alfalfa/grass mix and straight grass pellets. They aren't quite as messy as grain, and have fewer calories than grain. [Most of the hay pellets I get are about 1/4" diameter and various lengths. they are meant to just be fed as part of a meal or whole meal, but should work fine as treats.]

Baby carrots would work well.Bite them in half and you have a nice treat that is easy to carry in your pocket.Sounds like you are having lots of fun with a very smart horse.

I have used vanilla wafers on occasion and they love them. Since I like them too, we share one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on controlling his behavior -my mare Peanut was almost the same! I still call her "A devil in the pasture, but an angel when she has a halter on" She really is! I started teaching her tricks 3 years ago. And now she's really an angel! ;) She even lets me catch her in the pasture now--which was a huge deal. She wouldn't run away like athe regular horse--she'd charge me! I've learned so much with her and with that experience, I'm able to train other horses successfully as well. As for treats, I used to give her oats/grain. She just got really spoiled and fat, so instead I either give her a small piece of veggies like carrots or an apple, or some treats from the store. Nutritional ones ;) I'll PM you about youtube and how to set up an account--please check out my channel! =) (just go on youtube and type in Peanut and Amy and my channel should come up [peanutandamy97]

Latest posts

Back