Devastated- We lost mom & foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG how terrible for you and your daughter. Really hope your other mare foals safely and gives you a beautiful baby. I know my kids cant wait till my mares foal and are looking forward to the babies

I am so sorry, losing animals is always heartbreaking. We had a very similar experience happen here, both in 2009 and 2010. The first, resulted in us losing the foal but the mare made it through, somehow. The second, both mare and foal were lost. Again, I am so sorry.

I am so sorry to read this. You know, every time I read a sad story of a bad foaling, my heart breaks for all involved. This time? With a little girl at the heart of the story, I find myself even sadder. Please give your daughter a huge hug from me. I will pray that the other mare rewards you all with a beautiful baby with no problems. {{{{{ hugs }}}}}

My prayers are with your daughter. How sad her first foaling went so wrong. I pray the next will be free from any issues and she will have a beautiful foal to raise. Of course no words can make her feel better.

So sorry for your terrible loss
default_sad.png
. Huge hugs to you and your daughter. Ya'll are in my prayers. Praying all goes well with the next foaling.

Oh My! I am so sorry for you, your family, and especially your daughter! It's devastating to lose a foal and even more so when you lose the mare. I'm praying that your daughter will have a healthy foal with the next mare.

Geez, I almost dread coming to the Forum each morning and seeing who else has lost foals. I'm on pins and needles waiting for my first two mares to foal...........and praying daily!

HUGS!

Pam

Your post just broke my heart. I feel so bad for you and especially your daughter.
default_no.gif
And for it to be her very first birth experience is just horrific. I pray the other mare foals without incident and you have a beautiful foal to take away at least some of your current heartache. I've been breeding for a few years now and have lost a few foals. Thankfully I haven't lost a mare, but I know it's a possibilty and that always worries me because I love them so much. Take care. {{{{{HUGS}}}}

I am so sorry for your loss, and for your little girl especially. I will keep your family, and your other mare in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that she has a joyful experience to share when the other baby is born.
default_pray.gif

Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so, so sorry for your loss... I'm sorry...
default_no.gif

Liz R.

I am so sorry to hear your tragic news.The absolute worse case scenerio happened. I DO hope the other mare foals easily,especially to ease and comfort your daughter. {{{HUGS}}}

Sorry to read this. Hard on children to see, especially a beloved pet.

Been there. We even had UC Davis repro team out and did a fetotomy on one foal, but the body couldn't be passed and the mare was crashing. Now, anything I can't 're-arrange' internally at foaling, I take them to Davis ASAP.

I've had mares hoisted up (as you've described) and the repro team shoulder deep rearranging foals, catching it early and treating the mare after saves their fertility and often life. We had to C-section a mare that the foal's internal everything was on the outside of the foal. That was awful.

I noticed you're in Auburn, I don't know if you do/don't like Loomis Basin, but they're experienced with Minis, and can C-section mares as needed (future reference).

My best to your family for everything else to go smoothly.

I am so sorry for your loss, How hard that must have been for your daughter to see. {{HUGS}} to you both.

I just had a similar foaling but luckly my mare is okay. Premature birth, month early, red bag, foal upside down, and cord wrapped tightly several times around baby's belly. Lost the foal but mom thank goodness is okay.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so humbled by the outpouring of kindness, support and prayers from this mini forum. I even had one amazing person say she was willing to start a "fund" for my daughter to be able to purchase a new mini mare when my daughter was ready. All I can say is Wow!

My daughter and I are so blessed to be a part of this group of such caring people. With each day we are doing better. I know I will be okay, I just worry about Gracie. Being 11 and losing a pet is hard enough, but the images she has in her mind are the hard part. For the most part she is doing very well. Tears are a daily event, but less with each day. The worst part is at feeding time, when she goes to her mini mare's pasture and sees the empty grain pan. She says she can almost see Lady eating out of it even though she is not there. She misses cleaning her eyes and talking to her about the baby. However, I did witness tonight her petting & checking the udder of her other pregnant mini. Something she has not wanted to do since Lady & the foals death. And yes, life and death is a part of life and one that as a farm kid, we tend to see more often. But it never makes it any easier. It is my hope that everyone on this board has healthy mares and foals born with no issues this year.

So very sorry for your Familys terrible loss. Really hope things go better with the other mare.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your mare and foal. I know it must be very hard on your family and especially your daughter and pray your other mare has a easy foaling and healthy beautiful foal.

Gracie's other mare is bagging up. I am a wreck with keeping an eye on her. Since she was pasture bred, I do not have an actual foaling date but am just watching her for signs. Gracie is once again excited for her coming baby. I sure hope like heck that this once goes uncomplicated.

Again, I continue to be amazed at all the people who have shown their support to us during the tragic event and afterwards. We do hope at some point to add another mini mare to our herd after the vet bill is paid and Gracie once again saves up.

Latest posts

Back