Destiny is bagging up!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Destiny4ever

Reaction score
Destiny is bagging up quickly. Yesterday morning her bag was starting to fill, but nipples were still pointing inwards. She's been swollen in front of the udder for about a week and a half now. This morning, her udder is even more full and getting hard. It's not completely full, or leaking or anything, but she's developing a bag so fast that I think she's going to go soon.

She's not actually due until at the earliest, June 7th. But I know she's not going to make it. She was bred July 6th-July 29th of 2005. Her ligaments are relaxing and I can see the baby just going to town in her belly..I'm so excited!

I've put straw down in her stall, but don't think I'll actually sleep in the barn or at my parents house until she waxes..but last time she never waxed..of course she was a maiden then. I don't know what to do really, or when to begin watching!

Elizabeth

Two things you can do........

One is to try to get a few drops of liquid from her teats and check how sticky it is. You want it sticky like honey.

Once we can get some liquid from a mare, we like to test it with pool water test strips. The water hardness test reads the calcium level in the mare's milk and you want it to read the highest it will go. If the test strips have a PH reading, you want that to read the LOWEST.

The ratio is 1 cc milk mixed with 6 cc's distilled water. Dip the strip, shake off the excess liquid, cound to 10 and compare the colors on the chart.

All of this will help you narrow down when to start actually sleeping in the barn with Destiny.

MA

Latest posts

Back