depression?!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight star stables

Reaction score
CAN HORSES GET DEPRESSED? what are some signs?
unsure.gif

Yes, and depression can be a sign of illness.

If a horse is depressed their head hangs low, they are not as energetic, they coat can seem dull, their eyes can seem dull, they may not eat as much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep MiniSeasons is right, they can get depressed and it is usually a sign of illness or pain.

Head low, not eating as much, doesnt move around much, dull eyes, and so on are signs.

Defintelly! If they are depressed or weak it could possibly be colic, respiratory infection, hepatic lipidosis, hypothyroidism, cushing's disease, hypocalcemia.

Is this your new horse your talking about? Could be he is a little home sick.

Check the temprature and rate of breathing to determine if it could be a fever related sickness. Otherwise a sudden seperation from a friend can cause an emotional depression.

My stallion Soda Jerk ("Morgan") definitely went in to a noticeable depression when his liver enzymes became elevated. He usually knickers, then trots past me as soon as I open the gate to his stall. When he was sick, he just stood there with his head drooped in a corner. When he did move it was very slow and clumsy looking. I'm glad the signs were so obvious as it let me know to take action.

We never figured out what got him (poisonous plant?) but he got better with banamine, dewormer, thyroid-l and keeping him off the pasture for a while.

Daryl

My driving mare has proven to me that she absolutely hates to go to shows. At this last one, she spent all day laying in the stall with her head down and eyes closed. She was eating, drinking, and P & P, so I knew that way she was OK, but I watched her closely. On Sunday I didn't even hook her up, just brought her home. She immediately perked up, and went trotting around her pen. She never looked like that again, so she's off the show string permanently. Too bad, because she's an exceptional mover, but I won't put her through that again.

I knew one mare that got depressed during foaling season. She came up open & all the other mares had foals but she didnt. It seemed like she wanted one of her own. It was very sad.

No it’s not my new filly, it’s the boys... Midnight & Billy, both have been off a little with feeding with our busy days here lately, but to day was the first day that they both hardly eat any grain or hay, & seemed to lie down a lot, (no colic signs)

I put them both out side for a few hours, also some times when they aren’t lying down, their penis is dropped.
unsure.gif

Could it be this heat? We have had really hot days & ice-cold nights! Nothing is un-normal, no shows, no traveling (sp) no contact with joy, nothing
unsure.gif
no.gif

I'm very worried, my dad hates vets, & only has him come out for shots & to put down older animals... my dad thinks horses should "fix them self’s" almost, & doesn't like using medicine (sp?)...He’s been with horses all his life too... & usually wont listen
unsure.gif

Will we need a vet? How can I tell my dad?

Well the first signs I look for in a serious colic situation is a depressed attitude and reluctance to eat. Also another sign is laying down. Any change in there feces?

Respiratory infection can also can cause a horse to go off feed. If mine haven't eaten in 24hrs or so I call the vet.

In hepatic lipidosis they can also have colic signs, diarrhea, weakness, and depression, plus they go off feed.

Sure it can be the heat but better be safe than sorry. Just call your vet and see what he/she wants to do. If they think they should come down and see them let them!

Latest posts

Back