Dental product for dogs (and cats)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthorsemom

Reaction score
Hi All, I posted a dental product a few months ago..

Here is my update...

After several months of use, my basset hound that needed a $700 dental no longer needs one. My Chinese crested that had plaque, now has none... my Collie who had horrible plaque and cannot be knocked out due to health reasons, now has 80% reduction in the plaque in her mouth. My ancient geriatric dogs have about 50% less plaque.

My friend who has a keeshond that needed a dental badly now has totally white teeth and her vet was shocked at the difference in 6 weeks of treatment.

Now I am again coming here to the back porch to report a USA made dental product that gets tartar without brushing, soothes gum disease and is safe for animals with cancer and chronic illness and safe for dogs on medication.

It is ZYMOX brushless enzymatic oral care therapy dental gel and you can get it on Amazon for a decent price.

cheers folks. In my 40 years experience on handling dogs I have never seen anything this easy work so well. Brushing dogs teeth with sore gums is horrible in my opinion. This product needs no friction to work and dogs like the taste. No food or water for 30 mins after application for best results use daily.

what did you type in on Amazon to find this stuff.I tried ZYMOX brushless enzymatic oral care therapy dental gel and didn't get it.got some kind of liquid stuff.Is this what I need to type<I could really use this stuff.Corgis are almost 14 and 12 and can really use dental help.

Thanks Debbie. That is it. I was rushing to post yesterday and was going to include the link today. You will find it on amazon at various prices. My best price was under $11 for a tube. I put a squirt on two fingers, one for either side of the mouth. I apply and wash my hands and then put the lid back on the tube to keep from transferring mouth bacteria back to the tube. What I like best is the product does not blast the stuff off in one day and bolus the dog with bacteria. The gums on my dogs looked better in a week. Once I get down to a small crown of tartar at the top near the gumline I was able to snap if off with my fingernail, but on my one dog that will bite if you try to hand scale her teeth, I just use the product and we are now getting through that last small crown of tartar with no scaling. All my friends that have tried it have been amazed and their vets are all asking "what did you do?" cool.

PS, I just type ZYMOX pet gel into amazon, however there are more than one type of dental product by zymox and so I typed out the whole title as written on the box in my post but do take a look at Debbie's link above... shop around in Amazon... If you have prime there are sellers with free shipping and you can get it in 2 days. Debbie's link is where I purchased last.

PSS If it has been more than 4-5 years since your dog has had a dental this will probably not take it all off and you should be scheduling a formal scaling from your vet. However, on my dogs that need a couple of extractions and a formal dental done by my vet... I am using this product first and it is greatly helping reduce the plaque until I can afford and schedule the formal dental to tidy everything else up.

I do have dogs that have advanced heart disease and can not be knocked out for a formal dental and this is improving their mouth health greatly.

Best results occur on dogs that have had formal cleaning by vet done within 4 years so my recommendation is that this is not to be used to fully replace formal dentals done by your vet because some dogs need extractions, however this can greatly improve the condition of your dogs teeth and gums in between formal vet cleanings and much to my amazement, it really works well. This even works on the upper back molars so hard to reach with a brush. My dogs don't mind my fingers in their mouth a bit. It is a clear gel.

Last edited by a moderator:
So does this mean you are no longer using the Perio Support that you reported was very good in the past?

Yes Mona that is true. I swear they changed the perio support. I do know the label changed a bit and they started calling it a polish. All of a sudden my guys were building up tartar like crazy and my vet was starting to recommend dentals. My basset looked horrible and because he is so big the dental was going to be very expensive. I started shopping around and got so frustrated by all the ads and promises of different products.

Cleaning out my dog supply box one day I found some samples of the zymox gel that I had picked up at a dental day fair at my local feed store. I was bumming about the expense of the dentals and said what the heck and started using this gel on mybasset boy and after a week I looked at his teeth and there were white streaks in the brown yuck..

I was curious at this point and so I ordered a tube and started everybody in the house on it daily. After 3+ months and now that some of the folks I suggested try it are also amazed at how well it works, I am starting to put out the word again on something for you folks to try. I have no idea why the perio support quit working on my guys. I was loving it and then , wham, it just stopped working. I even tried brushing it straight on and my guys were still building tartar and when I brushed it on it had enough friction to make the gums bleed.

Anyway, if any of you try it, post back if you are seeing results. Young dogs get bright whites very fast... older guys take some time but everybody I have suggested try it has come to me and said they love the results. For my die hard friend who never listens to me on dog products... I bought her a tube and took it to her. When her dog had to go under anes. a week ago for a tumor removal her dentist says... "so, are we doing a dental too?". ... My friend says, "No, she doesn't need one anymore. Her vet looks in her dogs mouth and says... "OK, what did you do????" Love it. Bright whites... had had a dental 3 years ago. Best scenario for this working but see improvement on everybody so far that tries it.

Lets hope they don't change this, I love it.

Zymox is a great company. They make awesome ear cleaners. My vet uses their products for ears and such but for dentals she was recommending the perio support. I talked her dental technician into trying it on his dog. I am interested in hearing what he says when I see him again. I had him check the ingredients to see if anything on the label could be harmful to geriatric heart condition dogs (I have two) and he said everything looked safe.

Thank you so much for the review shorthorsemom! I'm going to try this on my 3-year-old Cockapoo. I definitely won't be able to get it for $11, though. Everything here in Canada is SO much more expensive! The cheapest on Amazon Canada is $32. I'll probably just order it on the manufacturer's website for $20. I'll take before and after pictures and report back if I notice any changes!
default_smile.png

I wish my basset had let me photograph his mouth before and after. I tried and all I got was a camera full of goober slobber and no decent photo. haha. Gotta love those basset hounds.

update... this is still working well for my guys. Starting to finally take the really bad stuff off my oldest dogs teeth.. took longer than on other dogs, but I am starting to see streaks of white teeth and very thin disappearing tartar.... I would say this even works for old dogs that are too old to be knocked out for dentals. My collie that has a suspected brain tumor is starting to have clean teeth. I know it seems weird to think of dental health at this time in her life, but if you could see how inflamed her gums were getting you would understand. She is so much happier now and does not resist me putting this gel on her teeth at all. I am amazed at how well it worked on the back teeth on all my dogs. Hard to brush areas, however I think the dogs lips hold the gel on the teeth longer. I sweep not only the teeth with the gel but the gums above the teeth. I treat the top only, it works its way to the bottom and they get clean too.

Anyway... I am not only recommending this product, I am testing it. Daily use works best. On horrible cases I think twice a day works ok too.

Just bumping up and wondering if anybody else has tried this yet. I saw results in a couple of weeks. I noticed Amazon has the price pretty close to $10.

cheers.

Thanks for this shorthorsemom. I never saw any updates to this since I last posted, until today! After the initial post of yours, I went to Amazon and ordered 4 tubes of it. I still have no received it though...it may be waiting for me at the post office though, as the estimated arrival date was May 2. I won't start using it though until after all my Perio is gone. I just ordered 2 more of the LARGE containers not all that long ago, so will be a long while yet! I still have about 1-1/3 containers left to use, so I won't have any reports back for months probably.

Edited to add: The thing I am especially hoping it will do, is to get under the "lumps/bumps/growths" on my Boxer's gums. She has Hyperplasia. We had them all removed by lazer surgery about a year and a half ago, and they are back, bigger than ever. They were sent to the pathology lab and tested last time, and were not cancerous. BUT, the food, bacteria etc. gets up UNDER the loose areas that hang over the teeth, and cause tartar build-up. The exposed portions of her teeth, and Monkey's (Crested/Chi mix) are pretty good, although they are yellowed.

I am trying it on my almost(Aug 28) 14 yr old Pembroke corgi who has really bad tooth issues(had several removed)Her breath is now much better and I hope it will help her teeth.My groomer scales her teeth when she goes>Does anybody put stuff in their water to help?I got some of that so I guess I will try it.Rescue shepherd wants n o part on anything in his mouth.Will have to work on him.

I never tried the add to the water stuff. Somebody should post how it works if they try it. I noticed the gel starting to improve condition of all my dogs in two weeks, but has been more like 4 months of daily treatment to see the huge results I am now boasting about. I am very diligent about doing this every day. I don't ever miss. I didn't think it was working as well for my collie for the first few months because it has been many years since her last dental and at first I couldn't tell it was working and she is horrible about letting me look in her mouth (probably because it hurt)... now that the stuff has had a chance to calm down the gums and improve the tartar, she let me examine her whole mouth today... it was my up close look see into her mouth that has me writing again that this is definitely working. The aloe is very soothing for the gums.

I also purchased another product from zymox for the ears on my Tibetan spaniel. My vet likes zymox products. WIll let you know how this ear stuff works on my little dog's ears. She tends to get chronic ear infections from yeast.. I found the stuff cheap on amazon.. beats a big bucks visit to the vet.

For my collie, she hated any handling of her mouth at first. I started with just putting some of this on her lips and on front teeth in the beginning. It doesn't taste bad. Took awhile before she would let me put it all over her mouth.

For some dogs, is best to go ahead and get pro dental first and get this stuff for maintaining between cleanings... but for those dogs that knocking out is out of the question,, then this is the stuff you use to do the best you can to improve things.

best wishes.

I also purchased another product from zymox for the ears on my Tibetan spaniel. My vet likes zymox products. WIll let you know how this ear stuff works on my little dog's ears. She tends to get chronic ear infections from yeast.. I found the stuff cheap on amazon.. beats a big bucks visit to the vet.
Keep updating on this product! I have a Newfoundland and have been using the Zymox Ear Solution on his ears and it does not seem to help alot. He has the nastiest yeast infection that started in one ear and has now moved to both. I think I need to switch proteins in his dog food, He's already on good quality grain free food so that's my next move... maybe lamb or fish. I dont know what to do, I'm at my wits end.

The zymox ear solution I choose (there are so many) was this one..

Zymox ear solution HC 0.5%. Antimicrobial and inflammation relief. Purple and white box.

Says you do not preclean the ear before using and it is a enzyme solution.

I treated both my Tibetan spaniel and my basset hound this morning. Will update in a week or so and let you know what I think. I may have to order more boxes to do a proper treatment. Neither of my dogs are horrible yet in their ears, but both are starting with redness and the basset started shaking his head yesterday and my tibbie looked me right in the eye and stuck her foot in her ear. communication.

Weather has been horrible this spring and the damp weather and no sunshine and these two dogs always have a ear flare up.

stay tuned...

here is a link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NVJAJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thats the exactly the stuff I'm using now! Plus I also have a bottle of Zymox OTIC HC 1.0 Enzymatic Solution from the vet. I think my dogs issues are bigger the seasonal.

I hope it works for your fur babies!

Latest posts

Back